Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Surging 2ndary turbo after cambelt etc replacement

98GT-Biarch

98GT-Biarch said:

Took it back to him today and he bled the cooling system and cleared the faults (temp sensor and something else), running the air con on max until it blew hot air. Everything is running sweet now thank buggery. Thanks for the info ClubSubbers.

So to run 98 fuel I need to find BP stations that sell it, or are there Caltex or other stations that sell a similar octane fuel?

you dont HAVE to run 98, 95 will be fine, just dont use 91

I\'ll ask him about this tomorrow, as I have to take it back again, since I\'ve just discovered the 2ndary turbo is not working AT ALL. Needless to say I\'m getting *very annoyed* with this S*it.

Why dont any of the mechanics I\'ve used actually care about what they are doing? You\'re giving them work and a lot of money and they act like you owe them and that you\'re being annoying by pointing out their mistakes.

Not much I can do about the idlers and tensioners now unless he agrees to do it with no labour cost (yeah right).

Can I reset the ECU myself?

Just don\'t pay him what you owe, as a mechanic he should know what he\'s doing and should have replaced it, tell him you will cover costs on parts but not labour as he\'s already billed you for that! I\'m in Auckland if you want me to have a look or come with you to see this numpty ill be happy to

The guy still doesnt know whats going on, he switched hoses 21 and 22 around but no change.

Not sure if its my imagination but Primary seems to be significantly more boosty at the moment.

The guy isnt going to look at it until Tuesday.

Haven\'t had any apology or reason or anything yet.

Also have seen a few oil drips on my garage floor, and found an earth wire disconnected under the bonnet. It just keeps getting better. Hopefully DrunkenMonkey can help me out.

Big thanks to Subirex (AJ) for taking a look at my car tonight 8) Good to finally find an on-to-it mechanic who actually cares, about the car and the customer.

He found a few hoses disconnected, and boost was only 5psi and then nothing (was getting let out to atmosphere due to disconnected piping). Primary is now back up to 10-11psi but no secondary turbo still. Highly likely my secondary is seized... Primary turbo is now screaming as well :(

I\'m going to take it back to XR Automotive in Grey Lynn on Tuesday as long as he can do it then and there as I wait. This is more than fair considering this is the 4th time I\'ve had to take it across town back to him. He obviously didn\'t look close enough to find the other disconnected hoses that Subirex found tonight, and one clamp not done up on the air intake. Quite obvious he did not test it properly at all after the cam-belt replacement.

If these guys dont get it done while I\'m there on Tuesday then its back to AJ who has generously offered to help sort it out properly.

I\'ve been reading the Consumer Guarantees Act for services, which states that the mechanics responsible have to repair it back to how it was, so if that secondary is seized they will be replacing it, as well as the primary and anything else they have screwed up.

Subirex also noted they have put sealer over the gaskets (which can wear the gaskets out faster) and used non-genuine parts.

Big rep to Subirex, and thanks to DrunkenMonkey for offering to help as well, just worked out better and faster for me to go to Subirex tonight.

Well, I should correct myself really, it does depend on what it is and who it is also doing the installation since in some instances aftermarket is better.

Although generally I prefer oem after all the nightmares I\'ve read and seen from people using aftermarket and having to redo their work with oem anyway (tstats being a good example)

Yeah SORTED! Had a good drive home, got all the power she\'s sposed to have, and sum!

Subirex has restored my faith in mechanics and man kind in general. This guy REALLY knows his subies.

He single-handedly diagnosed and replaced my seized VF27 with a spare VF32 he had, in about 4 hours.

No mistakes or shortcuts with this guy, and he didn\'t do it for a profit, he did it because he wanted to help me out, because he\'s a good guy! [move]FRIKEN LEGEND!!![/move]

If you need advice or some help with your Subaru, I can highly recommend talking to this guy first.

My GTB is now running like a dream, after a nightmare with XR Automotive. Those guys mean well but sure did screw up a lot of things. I still have to take it back to them to show them all the oil leaking out of the new seals, so I can then take it to a proper Subaru dealership to get it done properly.

Thanks again mate!