Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Need someone to set up seriously complicated suspension - Welly

boon

• Admin

Ok, so I now have some obscenely complicated track-level suspension in my car.

It has about 200 million adjustments (actually maybe 5 or so) but the car is currently completely on the piss and getting it set up right is beyond me.

Anyone know anybody (aside from STM) who can not only get my wheels pointing in the right direction and the ride height evened out but perhaps set the dampers up as well?

start by setting the spring adjusters to the same lengths and captive, and the clevis mounts to the right heights at even distances.

Take it for a short drive to let it settle, then park it on a flat level concrete pad and measure your sill heights, or your chassis rail heights, then adjust the clevis mounts so the chassis rails are even left to right.

If you want it done properly you can take it to macbuilt and they can corner weight it on scales, this works by leaving the clevis mounts at the height you want them to, then they put extra tension on the springs to shift the weight left/right front/back. Probably well worth the money on your setup.

I\'ve got a trolley jack if you want to borrow it. its a race jack so goes pretty low

You need to take the car to Al at Macbilt. The suspension you have (going from the pic you posted somewhere earlier) is originally from a car that Al runs/maintains. I was actually going to buy that suspension from the original owner late last year, it was very cheap for what it was.

Al set my car up and the difference was amazing (big contributor to dropping my lap times) he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to making subarus go quick. It is a time consuming job so can be expensive, but you have to remember you are paying for his expertise, and as you have discovered, setting up suspension of that level is not a 5 minute job. The double adjustable bump & rebound settings are something that will need playing around with to give your preferred feel - usually requires a fair amount of on track testing (from one extreme to the other so you know how each setting feels and how it affects the car), but for a street car you would just have to play around until you are happy (you could say that suspension is a tad overkill for a street car! Or is your car a race/track car? Sorry I am not familiar with what you have).

Go see Al and speak to him about what you want to achieve. His advice/help is well worth the money spent.

• Admin

Thanks all - I\'ll go and throw it at Macbilt and see what they come back with. Just went and did an eye-o-meter height and alignment so it\'s a shitload better than it was and at least I\'m comfortable driving it around now.

Tony, do you know any more of the history of this suspension? I know it came from the guy in New Plymouth (can\'t remember his name off the top of my head though) and that\'s about it. Yeah it\'s for a street car ;D

Originally it was in Ross Rutherfords GC8 race car back in the super GT days, which Tony Oliver then bought off him. Tony changed that suspension out for Proflex. I was looking to buy them off Tony but he must have sold them to whoever you got them from. Al has looked after most of Tony\'s cars so he will know a bit of history on that suspension (I spoke to him a bit about it when I was considering purchasing them).

Al still looks after that car, it is now owned by Colin Parkin.

What did you end up paying? (if you don\'t mind me asking, if so, no biggy, or just pm me).