Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

thinking of buying a 98 forester

SubLeggy

hey guys,

ive recently sold my 91 gt legacy and was looking at getting a 98 subaru forester. was just wondering if there is any helpful information that could be provided about the foresters e.g common faults that happen with them. i havent yet made up my mind if ill get another subaru yet but i thought id do a bit of research into them before i deside. was looking at getting something like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/FORESTER/auction-221443763.htm .... hopefully the link works.

any help towards them would be appreciated

cheers

Subleggy

JoKer said:

nice - shame about wheels

8K with the stereo and rims is about right (IMHO)

half that maybe without ?

thats what i was thinking as well. havent exactly confirmed id purchase it though. im more after the common faults that play up on a forester. gotta know about the vechile before i purchase it.

boostcut']

you will have half the faults with this than you would have had with that legacy.

this will be becasue it is newer do u mean??

[quote name='JoKer said:

oh and see if you can verify Cambelt change at 100,000 kay and /or at time of import (122,000 according to carjam)

what is this car jam thing?? does it check to see if seller is being honest etc?? about the kms etc??

Guest boostcut

yes that and the legacys are known to be problematic. not picking holes in them or aything as ive owned two myself and jst bort another this weekend

same faults in a forester and wrx (being that the engines almost the same and chassis also almost the same)

only fault i've had is leaking rocker cover, not a major tho. all in all my foz has been great.

maybe depending on what you want it for, get one that is lowered already or budget to get some springs or v7 suspension for it as foresters have really spongy suspension!

Carjams's definately worth the $12 to find if there's any security loans on the vehicle before you hand over the cash.

The most common thing I hear of is the interior clock, but there's a link on here about fixing it.

Other than that, it's my first Subaru and It's been great, except a few niggles that I'd put up with having not known history.

If you got that, you could flick the wheels off and get a good portion of the money back too.

I'd check the suspension no matter what, I know of two foresters (mine and a friends) which both had dead shocks before 130oookm. If your getting anything over 100oookm it would pay to get it checked. All the above is good too

• General Member

how much do Fozzy's weigh?

carjam says Gross vehicle mass: 1,625kg

HOLY SHIT!!

by comparison 97 GTB Gross vehicle mass: 1,705kg

so yea I can understand dead shocks....

for comparison a certain ex GFB WRX = Gross vehicle mass: 1,515kg

(source Carjam)

I have the same interior as that - mines starting to fade (turning a greenish colour istead of blue)really badly - thats the only thing i can fault mine on so far....

My interior clock doesnt work - but thats common as mud - and easy fixed.... I would check undercarrige for damage - being lowered aqnd all...

ALSO - plate surrounds say "fast fours and turbo's" - be careful - they arent known for reliable cars!! (and check theres no money oweing on the car like the guys above said)

Overall looks good tho - i think those wheels would be ok if you had them powdercoated white or black in the center (- similar to mine)?

JoKer said:

how much do Fozzy's weigh?

carjam says Gross vehicle mass: 1,625kg

HOLY ****!!

by comparison 97 GTB Gross vehicle mass: 1,705kg

so yea I can understand dead shocks....

for comparison a certain ex GFB WRX = Gross vehicle mass: 1,515kg

(source Carjam)

Holy shit good or bad?

For all the extra space, I'm happy with the extra 80kg over a WRX wagon. considering the same running gear and engine

H8RS H8 said:

I have the same interior as that - mines starting to fade (turning a greenish colour istead of blue)really badly - thats the only thing i can fault mine on so far....

My interior clock doesnt work - but thats common as mud - and easy fixed.... I would check undercarrige for damage - being lowered aqnd all...

ALSO - plate surrounds say "fast fours and turbo's" - be careful - they arent known for reliable cars!! (and check theres no money oweing on the car like the guys above said)

Overall looks good tho - i think those wheels would be ok if you had them powdercoated white or black in the center (- similar to mine)?

hmmm yeah was thinking the same thing about it being so low that it myte have a few scraps on the bottom, same thing happend to my legacy when i had a full car load of people. i didnt know that "fast fours and turbo's" sold unreliable cars. better back out of thinking i can purchase from them. so the interior fades to an ugly colour does it??

havent quite yet desided what to do yet as i dont wanna waste money on something that will turn out to be a lemon(happend twice so far haha)

SubLeggy']

[quote name='H8RS H8 said:

/quote]

hmmm yeah was thinking the same thing about it being so low that it myte have a few scraps on the bottom, same thing happend to my legacy when i had a full car load of people. i didnt know that "fast fours and turbo's" sold unreliable cars. better back out of thinking i can purchase from them. so the interior fades to an ugly colour does it??

havent quite yet desided what to do yet as i dont wanna waste money on something that will turn out to be a lemon(happend twice so far haha)

Im not saying DONT buy from them - im just saying that you should be careful - take the car on a good LONG test drive - and if possible - get it checked by someone that knows what they are doing...

When i purchased a previous car i only took it on a test drive for about 10 mins from dead cold - when i decided to purchase it i was driving home (about 40mins away) and it was overheating something chronic!!!

My Interior is starting to turn a greeny colour rather than the nice blueish grey its sposed to be - but i guess that comes with age-ing car...

• General Member

if you can squeeze it out over night - even better (not sure on conditions of this OR if it's even still done)

good thing about a small town - most pl know where you live!

Rossmnz said:

Becca: Your cr is turning green inside due to what you have done to it outside!

Its rebelling!

Just because you don't like my car- or whats done to it doesn't mean others share the same opinion, some people love my car, me included.... and that's what matters... I LIKE MY CAR....

If you don't like my car that's fine - stick to telling me that in PM's instead of publicly baiting me trying to get a pissy response - its no going to work anymore... im no longer buying into the trolls crap.

:)

Good luck with the purchase of the forester SubLeggy - you wont regret buying one i can promise you they are awesome cars!!

You can, but it'll take a lot more just to get it as quick as an STi wagon. From what i've seen there isn't much difference in room between the 2. And the Forester will have the flying barn door effect to it.

And if your lowering your foz your nullifying the better ride quality you'd get by going with something higher and bouncier.