Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Buying a 99 B4 RSK or a 99 WRX Ra Limited Ed

Hi all, Im about to take the plunge and buy a Subaru ;D My mate brought a 99 GTB last year and it was great fun driving it around so ive decided to get a Subaru myself.

Im currently looking at

This B4

or

This WRX

I went to have a look at the B4 in the weekend, car looks good has a Mongoose M60 installed but I got a bit of a surprise when I removed the dipstick. The oil was dark dark black, the salesmen couldn't tell me when the oil had last been changed!

Anyone know what kind of km's the WRX would get out of its tank (town driving)? My mate got around 450k's around town and about 650k's on the open road in his GTB.

Any advice on what to look out for in a B4 or a WRX Ra would be much appreciated.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah B4 looks mint but bit pricey i reckon for what it is. Even with those kms.

Id say if you want a fun factor and value hold id say the wrx but talk him down on the price.

Cant go wrong with a straight v-lim.

Swindog said:

Yeah B4 looks mint but bit pricey i reckon for what it is. Even with those kms.

Id say if you want a fun factor and value hold id say the wrx but talk him down on the price.

Cant go wrong with a straight v-lim.

Yea I reckon id be able to get a fair amount off the price as I will be paying cash straight up

Guest STiEVO

depends on what you plan on doing if your keen for a trackday def go the wrx as youll get bored with the legacy. but if your not and wanna put sounds and just have a cruiser over a thrasher go the leggy. my mrs wants a leggy but she might be getting a honda instead

Theres no tracks near Nelson :( Which ever car I get it going to be my daily driver. Does anyone know if the WRX uses as much fuel as a B4?

like STiEVO said, it's all about the kind of driving you do/want. my flatmate and I both have subarus as daily drivers. He drives a WRX STi, I have a 99 B4. If you want it to haul ass, chuck itself around corners, and plan on driving it like you stole it, get the STi. The B4 will still haul ass, but its a bigger car. much more comfortable and roomy, better for open road touring etc, and great for when you have more than two people.

So think about what you are driving at the moment, and what you enjoy about your mates GTB.

as for fuel economy, my flatmate and i both get around 12-14 L/100km depending upon how hard we have been driving.

you will find lots of people here will advise against twin turbos because of the VOD- the gap between boost of the primary and secondary, and some have converted their TT's to single turbo. But if you like the cruising, easy around town but with grunt when you want it kind of drive, TT's are excellent.

just my two cents.

Ive got both. A highly modded wrx and a fairly standard gt wagon. My mrs got from Chch to Ingill on one tank...thats 650km. My wrx will only do 500max if i drive nice.

So really theres not much in it. If you bought the v-lim you wouldnt look back.

Could be talking out my anus here but.........

Comparing how far you get on a tank is a waste of time if the cars have different sized fuel tanks.

I would assume that the legacy would have a bigger tank, therefore get further..................or not, someone will be able to confirm for sure.

STiEVO said:

holy **** dont fill that fat bitch up to often then.

65L tank, and I know 650km on a tank can be done... 10L/100km is pretty damn good, for a twin turbo. wouldn't have to fill it up often, would ya? :D

ive got a wrx and my folks have a legacy twin turbo wagon, and my mrs has a forester turbo.

Drive em all regularly and as has already been said, the WRX will put the biggest grin on your face if you drive it hard.

BUT they are not as comfortable and definately not as good for longer hauls.

The other two are not slow, dont get me wrong. They are just orientated towards slightly different things.

My next subaru will be a turbo legacy wagon. Great cars if you want a stock standard. If you want to mod go the WRX all day every day!

I would seriously be checking that B4 for knock etc. If the oil is as black as you say, then i doubt its been looked after.

Gas wise, i get 450km per 52L mixed driving, almost like clockwork. BD has a 60L tank

I did have a good look at the engine, I got the salesman to start it up from cold while I was looking at the engine with the bonnet up. It sounded fine but the first thing i'll do if I buy it will be getting a full service