• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Buying a 99 B4 RSK or a 99 WRX Ra Limited Ed

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TURTLE said:

You'll find that once a car has done over xxx k's that they will also only ocver up to 3k of repairs (for example) and if anything is out of the ordinary they can try adn wangle there way out of paying on a warranty.

I'm not a fan of mech warranties.

My car was like that. It has like 220km on the body but only like 35kmon the motor and the warranty said because of the mods has to be tagged as exotic and will only pay up to a max of $3k if something went wrong because of the kms of the car. Didnt mattert it had a near new motor.. they counted the kms on the body cos it suited them better. Never again will i get mechanical unless i know its a shit box and then i wouldnt even buy it.

hmm-If you can get a good, well thought out mech warrenty, then take it, esp if you are used to getting shop to service all the time.

But, if you want to DIY service, then dont get it, but put $50/wk into another account tucked away, call it rebuild fund. If you get to $4k and you still havnt blown motor, then by that time the modifying bug will have bitten hard, and youll want to rebuild with forged internals anyway :P

Hi-po turbo subarus often do big-ends. Its a russian roulette thing. It can randomly happen - to a car being nana'd, full service. It can happen to a hi-perf rebuild with sump/new bearings, being driven well. But then a car could be raped for YEARS, ****ty service history... and still never blow a bearing. Have had 2 motors in GTB, and 1 in old sti. Twin turbo's seem to run bearings a little more than singles, non turbos almost never run bearings (just headgaskets)

Even motor reconditioners cant agree on what causes it/how to def fix it. Some say change oil pump, others say remove oil squirters... etc etc. Some to fix say add 0.5L more oil, others say baffled sump. Detonation could be a cause, so could crappy service.

To give you an idea, it cost me $4k to rebuilt my motor completely by myself (adding a few extras (forged rods, balanced internals, powdercoating manifolds etc)), PBMS have a rebuilt shortblock for $3k, or a forged block for $8k(?) Then add onto that costs to pull motor (if cant do yourself), along with new cambelt/fluids etc.

I would say, Get an STI over a B4 over a WRX. The B4s seem to have a slightly higher chance of running bearing, but are really nice to cruise in (nice long legs, lowdown torque due to twin turbos). Sti is badass, it feels a lot more nimble, but its a little more work for a long trip, but HELLA fun when you find twisty bits, less body roll (at expense of slightly bumpier ride). Dont get a WRX, youll spend all your money to make it an STI (flame on).

If you looking on trademe - and you can find one thats had a rebuild (with papers) from a reputiable source - chase that.

if you like raping cars - get a mech warrenty. So new gearbox covered, new diff, new turbo, new BEB, new suspension, new radiator (all things that have happened to a muppet mate with a foz - often pulled heli's on a cold engine :S)

I went and had another look at the B4 I linked in my first post, it looks like its had a hard 62 thousand k's. So im not so keen on it anymore. Does the WRX I linked to have most of an STI's parts just in a lightweight body?

• Admin
 wrx_lou said:

how is it the RA has electric windows?

The way i understand it is....

all RA's came with optional electrics and painter doorhandels and mirrors... but all V-Ltds came will all the options standard...

that rex is expencive for what it is.. i have the STi verson of it... and only paid 12k... sure it had more khs but i wouldnt EVER bother with a non sti...

• Admin
 Krisby said:

I went and had another look at the B4 I linked in my first post, it looks like its had a hard 62 thousand k's. So im not so keen on it anymore. Does the WRX I linked to have most of an STI's parts just in a lightweight body?

no... possible im worng, but.... smaller turbo, different injectors, cast pistons, amoung other things...

the whole car isnt much lighter than a stright wrx/sti as it comes standard with air-con, electric windows and mirrors and all the optional extras...

Johnnynz']

I have a 45 litre tank in my WRX, 1998 WRX not STI.

Hmm that's interesting, I've got a 50Ltr tank in My 99 STi RA. Would or thort RA would have been smaller.

[quote name='Krisby said:

lol Ok.How can you of gone through 3 engines!! Did the big end go on them?

My cars had a total of 4 New shortblocks now (2 by me) and just looking into the 5th one as of a few weeks ago.

RAYDEO']

/quote]

no... possible im worng, but.... smaller turbo, different injectors, cast pistons, amoung other things...

the whole car isnt much lighter than a stright wrx/sti as it comes standard with air-con, electric windows and mirrors and all the optional extras...

So the Limited Edition is just a WRX with different colour seats?

Dv8er - FSTWRX']

I have a 45 litre tank in my WRX, 1998 WRX not STI.

Hmm that's interesting, I've got a 50Ltr tank in My 99 STi RA. Would or thort RA would have been smaller.

lol Ok.How can you of gone through 3 engines!! Did the big end go on them?

/quote]

My cars had a total of 4 New shortblocks now (2 by me) and just looking into the 5th one as of a few weeks ago.

Why for do you eat engine blocks?

My 2 cents, skip the v-limited editions etc unless you're getting an STI. If you want just a WRX then stick with the B4, personally I'd recommend getting an STI.

In saying that it's different horses for different courses, B4 is a great cruiser/road tripper, has decent leg room etc whilst the WRX Sti is an absolute blast but is aimed primarily as a performance staple ie great car to take to the track ;) I never found my wrx's as great road trip cars, was absolute fun I won't argue though lol but definitely wasn't a car I could sit back and relax in lol

My wrx is awesome for crusing in.

I drove it from Palmy to Queenstown when i moved down here and sat in it for the 11 hour trip and didnt even bother me. Was comfy as. If you get a good position in those buckets you can stay there forever....forever...foreverever and i have hard as suspension too.

What about a 99 BH S/W Manual.

Couple of mods. 120k.

White with bronze 18's.

$12k.

Not abused as its my missus' car.

Sard short shifter, sard bov, stainless intake, jvc headunit, alarmed, kakimoto rear exhaust, it has apexi suspension and all certed but swapping for bilsteins on lowering springs.