Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GFB Pulley Kits

Hi people!

I am thinking about buying the Go Fast Bits Pulley kit, apparently its light weight and improve throttle response through out all RPM ranges, most noticeable in lower rev range and apparently can give you a 8KW increase in power... just wondering if there are Subaru users out there that uses them and can give me some insight on installment and how much they might cost?

Glad to be seeing some good responses, I just need to see if their worth putting in or not, at the end of the day i don't want to damage the engine or shorten the lifespan for a small increase. if its noticeable then I'll get it, but yeah so i need to see a post from Brendon is it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would've been taking a wee bit of maths from the work done to spin x amount of pulleys at x rpm weighing x amount,

compared to the work done to move stock ones of a different mass the same speed.

Could be valid in theory but a dyno would show the truth

I wouldn't recommend using any light weight aftermarket pulley kit..

1). You wont notice any power gains, or any throttle response increases

2). The heavy crank pulley that comes stock on your engine is there to help balance the crankshaft AND replacement of this item with a lightweight one will significantly shorten your engine life (Bearing Failure).

I have the 3 piece set with aircon pum removed.

I Dyno'd before and after this mod and got a 6Kw from this alone, didnt notice much throttle responce and unsure if it affects engine life but i havent blown up my motor.

evlRA said:

I wouldn't recommend using any light weight aftermarket pulley kit..

1). You wont notice any power gains, or any throttle response increases

2). The heavy crank pulley that comes stock on your engine is there to help balance the crankshaft AND replacement of this item with a lightweight one will significantly shorten your engine life (Bearing Failure).

Are you saying that lighter engine components WONT increase throttle response!!!!!!

Note, Crank pulleys are neutral balance ! thats why you can swap between cars or fit new without affecting balance at all !!

The only disadvantage of these pulley's is that the do not have a damper ring to absorb crankshaft torsional vibration

no. I said you will not notice the power gain or the throttle response..

And is this un-noticible difference worth the loss in engine life?

When building my car i wanted to get the GFB pulley kit however Andre Simon suggested otherwise.. his words of wisdom.

Yea sure, if your going to be racing on the track more than you will be driving on the road it is worthwhile, every little thing counts on the track.

On the street people tend to be more concerned with engine life, and reliability

Guest dynofiend

The two piece rubber bushed original pulleys are not just there to absorb torsional vibration. They help remove harmonic vibrations from the entire belt that drives them, which can otherwise be amplified and transferred to other components such as bearings. Replacing with lighter pulleys is not recommended as it can increase stress by vibration on these bearings. I have seen crank mounted oil pumps fail (probably) due to having used billet engine pulleys.

Unless your car is already within 1 second of the front runners in a professional race series, and you are looking to edge it closer, then my advice would be forget it and spend your money elsewhere. To reduce rotational inertia, look at lightweight flywheels. Its much safer and far more effective as the weight is being removed from further away from the point of rotation. IE removing 500g of weight from the edge of the flywheel will probably have double the effect than if your alloy engine pulleys are 500g lighter than standard ones.

evlRA said:

When building my car i wanted to get the GFB pulley kit however Andre Simon suggested otherwise.. his words of wisdom.

Andre Simon is obviously your GOD or a Rockstar as posted above

Nah not reali he just knows his shit..

well said 'dynofiend' id highly reccomend the lightweight flywheel, lightweight rims, removal of aircon, and even a carbon fibre prop shaft.. id do all of these before buying some pulleys

evlRA said:

This cracks me up....Andre is the one who installed mine :P Had them on for 4 years now and still on the same motor. Still didnt notice much if any difference tho.

race car? i really want the pulleys on my car they would really finish off the engine bay quite nicely as the subaru ones are quite hideous, i just dont want to add any unnecessary risk to my life savings (in car form)

evlRA said:

race car? i really want the pulleys on my car they would really finish off the engine bay quite nicely as the subaru ones are quite hideous, i just dont want to add any unnecessary risk to my life savings (in car form)

Your talking yourself around.

nah everyone experienced has told me the same thing with the pulleys + mine has been machined to balance with the rest of the engine components so it would be a waste. however the alternator and power steering pulleys could all ways be replaced

If you go back to the ea71 and 81 engines they dont have harmonic blanincers ::):P

Guys that have SVXs replace atleast the crank pulley with a solid alloy pully. They havnt had engine failures and some of them been running them for years and years.

Theres been guys that replace them not for performance gain but for reliblity after the orginal crank pulley has flown apart and done alot of damage

I have them..I liked the theory of the gain and felt when I had them installed that I could notice the difference. Cost me about $500 al up I think. I did my minor mods incrementally so as to help gauge effectivenss.

evlRA said:

nah everyone experienced has told me the same thing with the pulleys + mine has been machined to balance with the rest of the engine components so it would be a waste. however the alternator and power steering pulleys could all ways be replaced

mate dont want to burst your bubble but do you know who ichi Ban is or what he does ????? ???