Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Use OEM summer tyres for winter?

Hi, last night me and my dad who owns a new \'12 WRX were talking about taking the rex up the ohakune mountain road every week or so. He wants to use the OEM Dunlap asymmetrical tyres while I say to get some sporty all seasons. What\'s your opinion?

Sent from my Acro S using Tapatalk 2.

• Admin

I\'ve gone up there on RE001, RE070 and Toyo T1 Sports - all of which are basically performance oriented summer tyres.

Made bugger all difference I would say... up Turoa it\'s either ice or nothing, you either grip or you slip, short of putting chains on.

Edit: And due to the number of wallies driving BMW X5s in low range with descent control turned on at 25kph you\'re not exactly going to be in a position to push the limits of any tyre.

It wont make any difference on your car, the tires will be wide and low profile so not ideal for snow and ice driving.

so without getting skinnier rims to fit and running narrow tires just run what you have got.

If the day is bad your best bet is of course to ring me on 0800 SKI123 (snow express) and we will take you up and return at the end of the day safe and sound :)

What he said^^^

If I had a dollar for every muppet that came into work looking for winter or snow tyres this last 3 weeks I would be a very happy man.

Your car tyres that you have on will make no difference what so ever to the surroundings, if in doubt get a pro to take you up that hill

subieboy said:

If I had a dollar for every muppet that came into work looking for winter or snow tyres this last 3 weeks I would be a very happy man.

If you were at work, which I\'m guessing you were, cause you said you were, then even on minimum wage, you just need to keep them talking for ~4 minutes, and there\'s your dollar. Although that\'d get taxed, so push that out to 5 minutes unless you get heaps more than minimum wage and it\'d only take a couple of minutes :P

So, realistically, you should be a happy man.........unless you were being extra efficient at telling them where to go stick their winter tyres?

and yes, I know I\'m being a pedantic f*****r ;D