Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

running bigger exhaust housings on turbos

scoobygt

got a vf26 turbo with a stuffed exhaust housing and i\'m wanting to know what would happen if I put a bigger exhaust housing on it off a vf20 I have lying round.. would it cause more lag or would I gain power or maybe even have quicker spool up?

You need to match the housing to the wheel first right... if not it will blow goats... massive goats.

If say you were going from a low AR to larger AR in the same turbine size inducer / exducer then you could start measuring gains / losses but would depend on a lot of things

Sure it fits? Telemekas will be the man to answer if it\'s doable but I\'m 90% sure the early housings aren\'t straight swaps with the 25/26 centres

Bigger housing means later spool with more potential - for example like... google difference between .63 and .84 housing on a gt35

On a VF20/26/whatever good luck noticing it I guess - that said I\'m going to bastardise a VF27 into a 26 housing (relatively bolt-in) once it shows up, so I can talk

scoobygt said:

got a vf26 turbo with a stuffed exhaust housing and i\'m wanting to know what would happen if I put a bigger exhaust housing on it off a vf20 I have lying round.. would it cause more lag or would I gain power or maybe even have quicker spool up?

The VF26 is a RHF4 (non ball bearing) with a P14 turbine housing.The turbine wheel is a 6200 (cut back design) hence a small inducer diameter.

The VF20 is a RHF4B (ball bearing) with a P16 turbine housing.The turbine wheel is a 4600 with a larger inducer diameter.

The seat depth of the VF20 turbine housing will need to be shaved approx 1-2mm to correctly align the the VF26 turbine wheel.

Therefore from P14-->P16-->with small inducer cutback wheel -->P18++ more top end at the expense of spool up

No!

The first generation TT turbos VF13-->VF20 have a 12mm seat depth.

The later generation TT turbos VF25-->VF33 have a 10.5mm seat depth.

So the P16 housing will need to be shaved 1.5mm to align the turbine wheel correctly.

Not difficult to do. Once you have had that done the C-clamp will need to be crimped in 1.5mm.

The VF31 with a P16 is a PE1016F equivalent.

i\'m thinking of getting 2 vf14 secondary turbos.. id use the vf14 chra with a vf13 cover and a ar 16 exhaust housing for the primary and also get the wg ported out with a bigger flapper.. then for the secondary id use the vf14 chra and get a ar 18 exhaust housing.. apparently this is the best upgrade you can do before going to tdo4 chra\'s!

scoobygt said:

i\'m thinking of getting 2 vf14 secondary turbos.. id use the vf14 chra with a vf13 cover and a ar 16 exhaust housing for the primary and also get the wg ported out with a bigger flapper.. then for the secondary id use the vf14 chra and get a ar 18 exhaust housing.. apparently this is the best upgrade you can do before just buying a $300 VF22/3, wrx manifold and ecu

fixed your typo