Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Few legacy questions....

seith_31

Hi everyone,

Kinda new here but been an enthusiast for quite some time now. Just have a question or 2. I\'ve just bought myself a 2005 Legacy BP5 wagon after my small car got written off. I\'ve only had it for 3 weeks. My question is, i have been checking the 4eat tranny fluid for quite some time now, and i have been getting a reading that\'s clearly over filled. I have tried it hot and cold, and still overfilled reading. Driving it is quite ok nothing major feeling for the tranny except some rough-ish gear changes but nothing major.... Should i do a tranny flush? How much atf does a 4eat tranny actually hold?

Question 2

The oil filter attached to my 2.0 legacy says a z527 but repco says it should be a z436... Confused... Anybody here could tell me which is which? ???

Question 3

The whole splash guard directly below the engine is missing. Should i replace it? Is it necessary?

Thank you for your time!

Thanks for the quick replies... Will probably use the z436 ones. Got one today from repco free from a 4L magnatec... But will probably go genuine subaru filter next time. Anybody has an idea on my over filled tranny? Am pretty sure am doing it right on the readings...

Dont get to caught up in the genuine filter thing do your own research. The whole idea of an aftermarket filter is that its a cheaper option thats either OEM equivalent or better. Weve cut apart a lot of filters back to back and even a lot of the cheap chinese import stuff doing the round in aucks under the $3 mark is well made. Also often find a longer warranty on aftermarket parts over genuine. Car manufacturers dont make everything in house like some people would lead you to believe.

Sorry cant help on the trans issue.

are you checking the auto fluid with the car running in nuetral ? pretty sure its supposed to be something like that

if you want it changed take it to an auto place . the torque converter is full of it aswell . if you drain it and then top it up you will only get about 3 litres out of the 8 that it prolly holds

Subaru sump requires 4.5 litres of oil, and most people run a .5 litre overfill to help with the amount of oil pumped out of the breathers under enthusiastic driving.

So all up, your 4 litre bottle of magnatec is a half litre under fill.

I have heard of trans fluid reading waaay out on the trans stick, even after pre measured quantities were poured into the housing, tbh, i\'d be taking it in to a local dealership and having a wee chat to their service guys about it

Yeah that\'s what i was thinking. Probably the car yard i bought it from probably gave it too much atf... Man, everything is mismatched but the car drives good. Mismatched oil filter and Some mismatched colours on panels. And totally missing splash guard below the engine

Had my 04 legacy 4at trans flushed recently. Holds about 10l. Used a further 3 flushing it. Will check my level tomorrow for you and see what that says.

Also I recommend getting the trans ecu reset. It adapts to YOUR driving style. So probably a bit rough from previous owners. Any Subaru dealership should be able to do this

seith_31 said:

Am checking it cold. Like, first thing in the morning before i start the car on a flat surface.... And the reading i get is way up. Way way up...

yeah the torque converter drains into the auto when its not running . everywhere on the net says to check it idling in park . after clicking the gear stick through every position

kwi_fozze said:

The under engine tray helps create a low pressure system, assistong in sucking air through engine bay and under car. Engine bay temps and water temps go down a measurable amount with it installed.

Is that really the case? From the shape of it I can\'t imagine it having that effect. I would\'ve thought it was more about creating a smooth surface for the air to flow over and stay connected rather than creating turbulence and therefore drag. I don\'t actually know, it\'s just what I think. Again, open to being corrected.