Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dccd fault my97 Type R

Jawdn

So I asked this a while ago but found that it was a fuse :-\ , but now it happening again but up fuse is fine. This is what\'s happening...

It works fine in full roll back but as soon as I roll it forward at all it goes into what I think is limp mode and flashes the bottom square green, the weird thing is that when I roll it back and turn the car on and off its working again but only in full roll back.

I\'ve looked on the net but its all about "auto mode" and abs fault but my car has neither of them... ???

what i would probably do first is unplug the dial. reset the car ignition and see if the flash comes up immediately.

if it seems happy only with the dial connected and in diff-free then maybe test the dial. its just set up as a simple voltage divider and is wired with 0 and 5volts

it would be nice and easy if this is the issue, but blown fuse earlier probably points to a more serious issue elsewhere

was this a factory fitted dccd?

yea it is the factory fitted gearbox.

Ive looked for the flash code procedure but all ive been able to find is for the newer dccd and dosent work on the earlier models

so to check the voltage would i check that from behind the roller dial itself?

TypeR rated said:

I had an issue with the dccd in my type R a wee while back with the light flashing at me too if I tried to move the dial. Ended up just being a dirty connection in the plug to the dial, cleaned that up with contact cleaner and a wee scrub up and away it went again.

I just went and had a play round an cleaned the plug connection and I noticed that when I rolled it up towards lock that the static noise coming from my speakers wen there\'s no audio playing (aux) changed an now the fuse has blown again and the static sound has gone away. The radio is wired up using a harnes from the standard Subaru plug.

Could the dccd controller be earthing out something?

quite possibly yes. Best check the wiring where it\'s visible from the firewall down to the box.

I\'m wondering if there is a bad connection at the box connectors or chaffed wire somewhere causing current to leak, the dccd ecu might see that as higher impedance and think the dccd coil has been unplugged... just a ropy theory

from under the car unplug the coil itself and check resistance between the coil and the gearbox housing.

the coil should be completely isolated from the gearbox housing. if thats ok, also unplug the controller from the loom (somewhere above a drivers right knee) and check the supply side of the plug to the coil at the gearbox for the same, as Optical suggests.

theory - at diff-free the dccd controller is limiting current through a high resistance short but as you increase the lock you may be hearing the controller struggling through the radio until the fuse blows. my money is on the connection to the diff inside the transfer case being worn and earthing out. you could pull this apart and fix but its a fair amount of work

So I\'ve read on another site that the hand break could be causing this so I went for a drive with the handbrake up one click so the car thinks it\'s on an the fuse did not blow.. Is that cause the c/diff is in a neutral position or dose that have something to do with the problem? Cause as soon as I dropped the handbreak the fuse blew

kamineko said:

handbrake on negates the diff lock. it sets it free. if your hand brake is stuck on, the hand brake light will remain lit on the dash.

have you checked the wiring/coil?

I\'ve checked the wiring as much as I can from under the car and it all looked fine, to check the wires going into the box at the top I\'d have to drop the box. I\'ve taken the roller out and cleaned that and checked the power going to it and they came up as..

Dccd voltages

1 0.02v rwd

2 1.02v

3 2.10v

4 2.68v

5 3.70v

6 4.97v lock

Also the pitch of the static noise changes as I roll up

hokay. the dial is working well.

the wires to the dccd are also accessible at the harness connection under the topmount intercooler, same plug as reverse and neutral switches.

so.. going by a version 1/2 pdf wiring diagram, its 6pin plug B92

this is a guess, but should give you an idea. you can rule out the rev and neutral switches by selecting and testing

_-_
PLUG FACE

pin - colour - function

1  ?            dccd coil?
2  lightgreen with yellow  neutral switch
3  black with yellow    reverse switch 
4  ?            dccd coil?
5  black with red      neutral
6  brown with yellow    reverse switch