Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Boost on my 2001 Wrx V7?

jharnz

Hi Guys

I have just brought a 2001 wrx it is not the Sti Version.

I have searched everywhere with no luck so i thought i would ask here hope this is ok.

Is it safe to run a MBC on this car i am a big fan of the GFB atomic tap but not sure if they are safe to run on these?

I heard a flash is the only real way to run higher boost is this correct?

The only Mods are down pipe off turbo and thats about it how many Psi is Safe with minimal mods?

Any help would be great cheers..

Someone\'s feeding you some.... Interesting info. Safest boost to run is stock. Hands down.

Reflashing can unlock quite a lot of potential in these cars.

A manual controller is a somewhat crude and inaccurate way of controlling boost, and you also need an ACCURATE boost gauge to get it set right. However, when you change the load in the car, for example, chucking a few mates in, or lots of stuff in the boot, you\'ll often hit boost cut.

From memory these cut at about 16psi, but I can\'t check that ATM as my laptops playing up. However, A downpipe on the standard tune can result in a boost spike, as you come on boost, and an MBC can help control this until the issue is sorted.

have done a similar setup with good results

also recomend upgrading the intercooler as that allows more boost with a tune to run nicely

the gfb atomic is not bad

set it up and tune to suit and u will be happily smiling

and also pick some fuel economy along the way

what area u in

if auckland can help out with the setup

usually best to stick under 15/16psi on the stock wrx block

A decent mbc will bring on boost quicker than stock bc it seems. So run same boost = win? Can generally get an extra 2-3psi safely but run it on a dyno to check its all safe. I havent found a variation in mbc on cars stacked full of the bros/cold or hot temp. Libero always ran the solid 15psi it was set to with mbc.

Yeah ditto to the above

I\'ve never had an MBC do anything untoward with regard to spiking or what have you and have run them on countless different setups

The marketing behind them is accurate - using (for example) a GFB atomic will bring boost on faster than stock, and then hold it longer (if it dropped away from factory).

Yea as above 7psi is in limp mode perhaps or the plumbing has been played with and gotten wrong

I wud say get it checked first before doing any mods as there maybe an underlying issue that can cause more issues if u just simply push the boost up

From the wrx\'s I\'ve done it is usually sitting around 13psi depending what accuracy ur gauge has

Don\'t up the boost without checking y its only living on 7psi man

A scan and some nice running logs will tell exactly what the engine is doing

What area R u from

lunchie said:

14psi with a full exhaust and intercool with a proper reflash should see 260-280hp and a really super responsive set up

Hi stock boost on the base map of this model is 0.95 bar/13.7 psi tapering to 0.65 bar/9.4 psi at the redline.

I\'ve remapped a number of these and with an uprated panel filter, decat or sportscat exhaust and heat range 7 plugs and a custom remap they can kick out 280-300 bhp at the crank on 98 octane. Boost can be raised to 1.35 bar in the mid range giving a lovely thick wedge of torque. Here\'s one I mapped showing power an torque at the wheels.

ScreenShot_19-10-2013064751_zpsb86a2e26.

Paimei']

[quote name='lunchie said:

14psi with a full exhaust and intercool with a proper reflash should see 260-280hp and a really super responsive set up

/quote]

Hi stock boost on the base map of this model is 0.95 bar/13.7 psi tapering to 0.65 bar/9.4 psi at the redline.

I\'ve remapped a number of these and with an uprated panel filter, decat or sportscat exhaust and heat range 7 plugs and a custom remap they can kick out 280-300 bhp at the crank on 98 octane. Boost can be raised to 1.35 bar in the mid range giving a lovely thick wedge of torque. Here\'s one I mapped showing power an torque at the wheels.

ScreenShot_19-10-2013064751_zpsb86a2e26.

Hey Paimei is which turbo is this graph showing? I am guessing a TD04?

Also where are you based for the remapping?