Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cusco 0.3L Oil Catch Can into My Gtb

Rosssub

I\'ve been wanting one since the first time I removed my TMIC and noticed all the oil residue inside. With the BH5B TT engine bay being so tight it had to be a pretty small can, my only clear space big enough is above the secondary turbo. After a week of looking at different makes/sizes/clearances/prices I will get the 0.3L Cusco $165 delivered (DHL) straight from RHD Japan 78mm highx80mm dia:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/cusco-oil-catch-can-tank-universal-0-3-liter-15mm-hose.html

65093-4_3.jpg

With the Can\'s top flush with the TMIC it will have 60-70mm clearance from the secondary and 40+ to the bonnet, about 50 each side. Did some measuring and started with a cardboard prototype:

nDeDtZa.jpg

I had no steel lying around so unfortunately my fire shovel died today. But for a good cause:

jRb7qkC.jpg

A bit of panel beating and two folds, bolted together. Poor shovel only did one winter:

8ozF9bC.jpg

Some paint lol:

f54MiMh.jpg

Fitted and patiently awaiting a Can:

mxsSQhl.jpg

I ended up slotting the "Bracket\'s Brake Booster Bolt hole" for adjustment:

jLpHSZy.jpg

yAc5Xck.jpg

Only just realised I need to plug in my brake fluid level sensor. ;)

It\'s surprisingly strong and would easily hold a 0.6L oil can but a 600ml would have to sit 10mm above the secondary heat shield to fit verticle:

9JuaObH.jpg

Now if only I had an Oil Catch Can..... ;D

Nice MacGyver skills!

Still need some practice to be as good as this guy;

http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/thai-kombi-restoration/

But still, I like the outside of the box thinking nearly as good as the cold air intake I saw that was made from a plastic rubbish bin, cut down to fit around a pod filter :)

p.s. you should really put the guard back on the angle grinder before your finger ends up looking like the dude\'s that was on here earlier in the year looking like a bone that someone had thrown some stir fry steak strips at.......

Koom said:

Nice MacGyver skills!

http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/thai-kombi-restoration/

But still, I like the outside of the box thinking nearly as good as the cold air intake I saw that was made from a plastic rubbish bin, cut down to fit around a pod filter :)

p.s. you should really put the guard back on the angle grinder before your finger ends up looking like the dude\'s that was on here earlier in the year looking like a bone that someone had thrown some stir fry steak strips at.......

Cheers, went well for a first run. No doubt there\'ll be another lol. That floor panels pretty cool ^ hope he doesn\'t charge by the hour though.

Yes the grinder with no guard is a very silly idea.

Edit: But in my defence (lol) I\'ve been using my little grinder guard free almost daily building for the last 17 years and have never cut myself with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Original Head's Breather hose looking rather sad, alternator flipped out of the way:

cancan2_001.jpg

With a 12mm Gates 90' elbow in the new intake hole, there's only just enough room to get one hose below and one hose above the intake pipe:

cancan2_003.jpg

Because I'm using unreinforced 12mm silicone hose I've fitted 2 more Gates 90' elbows at the base of the catch can to avoid sharp bends that could close up under vac, also keeps the hose off the secondary:

cancan2_005.jpg

New hoses tied to power steering pipe:

cancan2_006.jpg

cancan2_008.jpg

All back together:

cancan2_009.jpg

Edited by Rosssub

Rosssub']

[quote name='Koom said:

Nice MacGyver skills!

url]http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/thai-kombi-restoration/[/url]

Cheers, went well for a first run. No doubt there\'ll be another lol. That floor panels pretty cool ^ hope he doesn\'t charge by the hour though.

Yes the grinder with no guard is a very silly idea.

Edit: But in my defence (lol) I\'ve been using my little grinder guard free almost daily building for the last 17 years and have never cut myself with it.

I learned that grinder gaurd is there for a reason lol and must always be checked if on properly or can cause an accident hahaha.

Catch can looks freaking good though!

• 1 year later...
 Rosssub said:
Original Head's Breather hose looking rather sad, alternator flipped out of the way:

V6ve74f.jpg

With a 12mm Gates 90' elbow in the new intake hole, there's only just enough room to get one hose below and one hose above the intake pipe:

cancan2_003.jpg

Because I'm using unreinforced 12mm silicone hose I've fitted 2 more Gates 90' elbows at the base of the catch can to avoid sharp bends that could close up under vac, also keeps the hose off the secondary:

cancan2_007.jpg

New hoses tied to power steering pipe:

cancan2_004.jpg

RmEekhs.jpg

All back together:

RmEekhs.jpg

mN8W92z.jpg

Ran out of time today, I still need to Tee in the block breather, but I'm pretty happy with it. ;D

cant see all the photos?