Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Vf28 and 440cc injectors and tuning

Pappu1

3 questions: (i have some ideas on the answers but am trying to get more opinions/facts to get a better understanding)

1)

from what i have read on the specs of the units, i think that the vf28 turbo and 440cc injectors are a match

as in the 440 will flow its maximum to the point where the 28 is at the maximum of its efficiency (factory rail pressure)

with people here having tuned their vf28 or similar on 440's - what sort of boost were you running and what sort of power did you see.

i am thinking running 18-19psi on the 28 will see the 440's at almost the max safe duty cycle and pulling around 215kw at wheels

what would you guys think ?

2)

also, running higher rail pressure with aftermarket afjustable regulator - does it shorten the life of the injectors

e.g. if someone had grey 380's and ran a regulator running higher pressure to compensate for the lower flow - are they impeding the life of the injectors

(assume pump is up to the job)

3)

and lastly - i have been informed that adjusting the actuator arm to controll boost rather than a electronic boost controller will allow quicker build and more midrange and hold stronger till red line

is that possibe

i thought adjusting the arm will make it possibly overboost/spike and im not sure as to ability to hold boost solid till higher rpm

TURTLE said:

1) i had 200kw atw on 18psi, any more and power didn't increase at a good rate then it dropped off. That was with FMIC and 3 inch exhaust, Fuel pump and Regulater upgraded also.

who did the tuning bro?

and the regulator - was it running factory pressure or increased?

lastly - the 18psi - was it controlled by the link or an aftermarket boost unit or manual/tap etc

thanks

who did the tuning bro? Dave from DTECH did it.

and the regulator - was it running factory pressure or increased? Increased

lastly - the 18psi - was it controlled by the link or an aftermarket boost unit or manual/tap etc Link controlled it all.

thanks Your welcome

nt_a_foz said:

you can get solenoids now for the link which regulate the boost as good as if not better than a good boost controller...

am running in mine and holds perfect no spike at all

only 150 dollars i think...

is the link not able to worf correctly with a HKS EVC4 boost controller

as in let the other HKS unit drive the bost and link to do fuel and ign etc

PS. was there any reason you ran higher fuel pressure on the system?

I got 189kwatw with a vf28 at 16psi, standard pump, reg, fuel rail and injectors.

I don't think you'll see much of 200kwatw on standard injectors will you?

sharktale said:

I got 189kwatw with a vf28 at 16psi, standard pump, reg, fuel rail and injectors.

Most certainly, another 2 psi on yours would see it past 200kw@wheels.

sharktale said:

are you implying the standard rail pressure will only top out at that KW or is it the turbo?

BC5RA']

[quote name='sharktale said:

/quote]

Depends on Dyno of course, but mine got something like the below

14psi 170ishkw

18psi 198kw

19psi 200kw*

20psi 201.2kw

21psi 198kw*

22psi 192kw*

The gains after 18psi was not worth the extra boost.

*The numbers may be slightly out, but the others are definate.

The fuel pressure wont matter in that case, its fairly obvious the turbo was at its limit. He ran more boost but there was nothing left. You can make 210 ish safely on the standard fuel reg and yellows.

PhatRS said:

The fuel pressure wont matter in that case, its fairly obvious the turbo was at its limit. He ran more boost but there was nothing left. You can make 210 ish safely on the standard fuel reg and yellows.

thats exactly what i thought - running the standard pressure on the yellows with the vf28 should net 210 - 215 max (without pusing to the red zone i suppose)

im contemplating getting a bigger pump and regulator to force more fuel but i dont really want to do it if the turbo is on its max anyway.

by my calculations, the 28 should max out at abt 222kw at the wheels so running 210-215 sholud be just abt what you would wana push them to ay

pappu said:

by my calculations, the 28 should max out at abt 222kw at the wheels so running 210-215 sholud be just abt what you would wana push them to ay

I think i've just told you above at what the VF28 was maxing out at (that is real world maxing out, not some boogy calculation) :o And that was with more supporting mods than what you've given.

TURTLE']

[quote name='pappu said:

/quote]

I think i've just told you above at what the VF28 was maxing out at (that is real world maxing out, not some boogy calculation) :o And that was with more supporting mods than what you've given.

hahaha :D

calculation based on CFM of the turbo and injector flows ....

the 168kw@w was with the TMIC ay and the 200 was with the FMIC?

pretty good difference

i am running a hks evc4 to controll boost so hoping for a steady build

Qwerty']

[quote name='pappu said:

calculation based on CFM of the turbo and injector flows ....

/quote]

if only it was that simple...

haha its not 8) ...its more of using the values and then using some prefered valued (ie asumptions hoping to be correct) and then getting some result. also had look around the interweb to see what other people were getting etc...

i guess end of the day its the dyno that will print how close i was with things but always good to just ask the questions anyway..

in any case, are you using an aftermarket setup - do post up your thoughts on this stuff bro

TURTLE']

[quote name='sharktale said:

/quote]

Depends on Dyno of course, but mine got something like the below

GCP dyno.......wasn't to keen on upping the boost on standard pump reg rail etc......

I'v got a vf22, pump, reg and rail etc since then and still only doing 16psi on it, which by way of ars-o-meter pulls harder then 16psi on the vf28.

I'd say up grade pump and reg just to be safe, its only $450 odd for reassurance thats much cheaper then $$$$ on a rebuild.

1)

from what i have read on the specs of the units, i think that the vf28 turbo and 440cc injectors are a match

as in the 440 will flow its maximum to the point where the 28 is at the maximum of its efficiency (factory rail pressure)

with people here having tuned their vf28 or similar on 440's - what sort of boost were you running and what sort of power did you see.

i am thinking running 18-19psi on the 28 will see the 440's at almost the max safe duty cycle and pulling around 215kw at wheels

what would you guys think ?

You will probably find that maxxed out a vf28 will only flow about 18psi manifold pressure top end anyways. Maybe less.

The more efficient your setup the less boost you need for power. A crap breathing engine can show sky high manifold boost but make no power.

When the injectors run out of fuel the vf28 will not be at max efficiency - it will be at maximum flow.

Im not sure what the safe IDC is - safe for the street is different than safe for the track. If they overheat they can fail.

2)

also, running higher rail pressure with aftermarket afjustable regulator - does it shorten the life of the injectors

e.g. if someone had grey 380's and ran a regulator running higher pressure to compensate for the lower flow - are they impeding the life of the injectors

(assume pump is up to the job)

IMO it should not effect the injectors apart from the spray pattern

3)

and lastly - i have been informed that adjusting the actuator arm to controll boost rather than a electronic boost controller will allow quicker build and more midrange and hold stronger till red line

is that possibe

i thought adjusting the arm will make it possibly overboost/spike and im not sure as to ability to hold boost solid till higher rpm

It would depend on the EBC some are better than others. But a good EBC will control boost better than a spring