Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BD5 Legacy RS Wont start

Terroth

1996 BD5 Twin Turbo RS Legacy

Just got back from uni a couple days ago and hoped straight into my car.

Got a few drives around but after less than 200km\'s is when it all came to an end.

I was cruising down Moorhouse last night around 11 with a couple of mates in the car when we pulled up to a red light. I had been driving pretty light footed as well as with 2 fat bastards in the back the rear tyres were rubbing the guards something fierce around corners. Took off fine and everything was normal, as soon as I put my foot on the clutch and tried to shift to second the car died. No sound, no bang, no poof, no smoke, it just died as if it had run out of gas. Dash lights, radio, headlights all stayed on.

I dawdled my way to the road edge and sat there utterly confused. Gave the car a minute or 2 and tried to get her started again, nothing but a clicking sound.

Called AA being my only solution, the bloke tried typical jump start and that was it, flat towed home.

Him, as well as 2 other people seem to think it\'s the immobiliser in the car, not sure?

Anyway I was hoping to get some opinions from you guys, what it could be, what I could do, or who I should take it to to get tested (Auto Sparky or?)

Much Appreciated!

I must be doing it incorrectly or have the wrong connections because I\'m not getting any change in the check engine light.

Theres 2 blacks plugs underneath that are disconnected and neither of them will fit each other, as in they are tied together and won\'t connect.

The only narrow black connectors that resemble the ones in the link you posted were already connected underneath as well.

And when the green plugs are connected theres no change either.

Perhaps I should take some photo\'s and you can point out as to what I should be doing?

Found it, bastard was hiding in the middle of all the wires, thats why it didn\'t add up.

Although it didn\'t help, was flashing at 0.5 intervals which means its ok?

I also double checked that the fuel pump was priming, its that slightly humming / high pitch sound for 3+- seconds correct?

What now?

Sweet.

Must be either a loose battery terminal.

Loose cable at the alternator or starter motor.

Or an Earth has broken, follow the Negative battery cables. One earths on the Guard and one earths near starter motor/gear box. Make sure the ends are bolted tight and the cables aren\'t frayed or broken off.

Edit: With it happening as you hit the clutch, the engine moving/twisting on it\'s mounts. It\'s most likely the main earth at the Starter/Gearbox, frayed and eventually broken off due to engine movement.

Terroth said:

Went ahead and removed the TMIC to have a look

To me the ground looks fine, but I took a couple of pictures to make sure.

The starter was caked in oil / dirt / grease before I wiped it up a little bit, clicking is definitely coming from there as well.

Couple taps with hammer didn\'t do s***.

http://imgur.com/a/RLuXu

How\'s the Earth that attaches to the front guard, near the battery?

Alternator cables tight?

Have you got a multi meter?

Got a multimeter yes. Also have removed the starter motor to clean and take some photos of it, but can put back in if necessary or thinking of getting one from pick a part. Heres Photos - http://imgur.com/a/wNH4h

Alternator cables look all good, nothing popping out or out of the ordinary.

Is the earthing point in the guard above the wheel / in the wheel well or under the bonnet?

Googling the starter motor model doesn\'t seem to come up with much which worries me.

Terroth said:

Got a multimeter yes. Also have removed the starter motor to clean and take some photos of it, but can put back in if necessary or thinking of getting one from pick a part. Heres Photos - http://imgur.com/a/wNH4h

Alternator cables look all good, nothing popping out or out of the ordinary.

Is the earthing point in the guard above the wheel / in the wheel well or under the bonnet?

Googling the starter motor model doesn\'t seem to come up with much which worries me.

It\'s OEM, same as mine. The number scratched out at the top of the sticker is a Subaru part number. My BH5 is 23300 AA352

The guard earth cable should be bolted near the engine bay fuse box, (just behind it).

I\'d put the starter back in, something else is draining your Starting Amps/Cranking Current.

How many volts does your battery show with ignition off? Then with ignition on?

Terroth said:

Aaah ok sweet.

The other earthing point is attached to the frame around the passenger headlight / infront of battery, looks to be fine.

Will put the starter back in tomorrow and check out the battery.

Sweet, check all engine bay fuses too. Battery should have about 12.6-12.8V.

The main power cable at the starter should show the same.

Then disconnect the small single plug at the starter motor. Connect multi meter probes between this wire and the block and have someone start the car/turn ignition to start.

It should show 10v minimum. Guessing yours is getting mush less, showing a current drain somewhere through the ignition...

Edit: It\'s getting something because it\'s clicking, just not enough power to make it engage.

Couldn\'t get anything from the multimeter, may have been doing it wrong.

Going to have to call someone to look at it anyway, as with being back at work and not having a car, plus with my limited knowledge I don\'t have the time to keep trying to diagnose it.

So hopefully getting someone to come and give it a geez will either make my day or ruin it.

Will probably update anyway.

Terroth said:

Couldn\'t get anything from the multimeter, may have been doing it wrong.

Going to have to call someone to look at it anyway, as with being back at work and not having a car, plus with my limited knowledge I don\'t have the time to keep trying to diagnose it.

So hopefully getting someone to come and give it a geez will either make my day or ruin it.

Will probably update anyway.

Sweet, please do. Would be cool to know what it was. ;D Good luck.

Before i call some Auto electrician in would it be worth the time to remove the spark plugs and try and turn the engine manually?

I mean i don\'t want to call out some sparky, have him do some tests for an hour or 2, fork out 100-200 bucks just to find out my engine is seized...

Terroth said:

Before i call some Auto electrician in would it be worth the time to remove the spark plugs and try and turn the engine manually?

I mean i don\'t want to call out some sparky, have him do some tests for an hour or 2, fork out 100-200 bucks just to find out my engine is seized...

You should be able to rotate it enough with the plugs still in to tell. But it won\'t be seized, it\'s just an electrical fault. ;)

Put your multi meter on the battery again. Set it to 12v, then just one probe on each battery terminal. What\'s it say?

Edit: Where are you located?

Well I\'d been a fool and the multimeter wasn\'t plugged in all the way, thats why i wasn\'t getting readings.

The battery was reading at 9.6, i assume its so low because of trying to start it constantly since its died.

With the battery at 9.6 the starter was maxing out at 7.5

I did try to crank the engine manually though with the spark plugs in and it didn\'t move at all....

Located in CHCH btw, but not for long as I\'m back down to uni at the end of the week but the car and my father (whose house it is at) will still be there and working on it ( if he can )