Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

version 1 wrx upgrades

dave250 said:
Looking at an ecu chip is 1bar 14.5psi too much for a completely stock wrx v1 or is it too much im currently running 12psi

I used to have a chipped ecu back in the day. Ran 14.5~15psi on grey injectors. Also had a full 3" exhaust. Was easily the best bang for the buck upgrade that I ever had on the car. The engine didn't enjoy life when I later upgraded to a td05 so I should have stayed with the vf10.

• 1 month later...

New here, but my general rules for my Subaru's are:

1st) make sure everything is standard as possible.

2nd) make sure everything is working as it should (check for ecu codes, check for vacuum leaks etc)

3rd) make sure maintenance is up to scratch (oil change/filter, air filter, fuel filter if its old as, if its an auto change the fluids - if its a manual - change the fluids)

4th) now your Subaru should be working as it should, now you can think about making it faster...

5th) power=air+fuel+explosions+not breaking. So, you see why we did the maintenance first. you may even have more power at this point that when you started.

6th) The more air you have, the more fuel you can have. The louder it sounds, the faster it feels, so therefore, loud=good at this point as performance costs money, noise comes free.

7th) to make it loud, take out the snorkel from the right hand guard to the airfilter box. it is a small mod, but makes it sound slightly louder/cool, and breathes slightly better, might make you 1-2hp on the top end and costs you nothing but time. Works better than a ghetto-ass pod filter as far as I can tell.

8th) dump-pipe. throw out the cat converter and keep everything else stock. costs about $300. car still sounds more or less the same, but makes a more powa, and probably doesn't require any tuning to avoid exploding.

9th) Rest of the exhaust. You want it loud? Buy a $600 3 inch full exhaust system off trademe (be prepared to fix it every warrant or so, however the quality may have come up over the years?) You want it stealthy? Straight pipe it to the factory muffler and leave the factory muffler on there, not too loud, but will get loud if you thrash it.

Otherwise, you are heading into really power making, which comes with dependencies that need to be fulfilled first.

To be honest, as lame as it sounds, making it reliable should be first priority, followed by handling, followed by power. Also, for christ's sake, dont forget the brakes. Bleed the brake fluid at leas and check the pads so you can stop once you are filthy rich with power.

If you need any honest advise, I am happy to provide what I know. In the meantime, don't even think about chips or raising the boost until you are sure you have something that is not going to explode

If its already filthy and loud, then you probably still want to do the reliability things first, then think about a chip. Maybe.

Regards.

David Tocker.