Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

changing turbo

could someone provide me with a walkthrough or tutorial on how to change the secondary turbo on a BG5 GTB?

what i imagine in my head is that its just taking the intercooler off and then unbolting the existing turbo, then bolting up the new one, but it's probably not that easy?

any tips or warnings of tricky things i may come across would be great as well, and tools required! i'm already having trouble getting just the intercooler off ???

excuse the absolute noobness, but i'd rather not pay 300$ for an installation, and i reckon it's as good a time as any to learn! ;D

cheers

Guest boostin

Yup, bitch of a job and some very good quality 1/2" drive universal joints are required. The turbo comes out complete with the exhaust control valve.

when changing a turbo youve got to disconnect the crank sensor so the engine dosent turn over but still allows oil pressure to go through the turbo core and out the oil return u do this so your turbo dosent oil starve and seize bearings etc.changing a turbo is a easy 4 hour job.start of with un-doing the intake system.should take max 30 min then ull undo bolts on the down pipe connecting to the center/mid pipe then undo the bolts on exahust housing of the turbo of the down pipe.now u can pull the dump pipe out to give u extra space.from there you can do the bolts from the up pipe to the exhaust housing and those arnt hard.also use locktite when doing ur bolts and nuts up and u need to re seal the gaskets with orange sealer.iv seen people change turbos and forget run oil pressure through the core first this will take away half of the turbos longevity and if its a realy dry turbo you can seize it at the first crank.

Guest keltik
 "4ORGD" said:
disconnect the crank sensor so the engine dosent turn over but still allows oil pressure to go through the turbo core and out the oil return u do this so your turbo dosent oil starve

Or just run some oil through it on the bench first.

also use locktite when doing ur bolts and nuts up and u need to re seal the gaskets with orange sealer.

Just politely, **** you if you have ever worked on the car that i own now :P some of those bolts you dont have much access to... and locktite would kill me.

put coppercoat on exhaust studs/bolts... if you ever want to get undone again.