Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Issues with MAF and Battery running flat (AKL)

Dairusire

• Admin

Hey all,

So my MAF went caput, replaced it and that one doesn't work too. Also something in my car is draining the battery even when left for just a week (Brand new battery btw). Same thing I'm assuming killed the last one. Is anyone around here a Auto Sparky who may be able to help me out?

I'd really prefer not driving the car with no MAF plugged in.

Also just for reference. The Old MAF will make the car die with it plugged in. New MAF will let the car run with it plugged in, but RPM will hunt on IDLE, and CEL still pop up. Tried clearing ECU but this has made no difference. please help me :(

This is in my '99 STi Type Ra

• Admin
 evowrx said:
V4 or 5?

V5 mate. So it has the OBDII plug. We've used two different computers to check the codes and wipe the ECU. Also forgot to mention since the battery had to be unplugged, now having a problem when the dash doesn't read it's got power sometimes.

Just get one off partsouq. Theyre cheap as f and fail far too often to buy secondhand. Mine fried over 5 of them some of which worked perfectly on others but my car had an aversion to them for some reason. Sure theres a factory issue there but fck knows what.

• Admin
 evowrx said:
Just get one off partsouq. Theyre cheap as f and fail far too often to buy secondhand. Mine fried over 5 of them some of which worked perfectly on others but my car had an aversion to them for some reason. Sure theres a factory issue there but fck knows what.

Yeah but my problem is, I don't know if it's the MAF's or another electrical problem. So I need someone to actually look at it and tell me which it is so I can try start to fix it haha. No Point pissing away money on MAF's if they're not the issue :P

Was the replacement AFM a new one? Or a known good one? Check the loom plugs out between the MAF and firewall, also check along the length of the loom for damage.

For the battery drain. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, then set a multimeter to amps and put it inline. One probe on the negative battery terminal and the other probe on the negative battery lead.

See how many amps are being drawn with the ignition off and all power accessories turned off. Should be less than 1 amp, or reading in the milliamps.

If it's showing high, start pulling fuses one by one to see if the reading changes. Pinpointing where the drain is.

• Admin
 Rosssub said:
Was the replacement AFM a new one? Or a known good one? Check the loom plugs out between the MAF and firewall, also check along the length of the loom for damage.

For the battery drain. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, then set a multimeter to amps and put it inline. One probe on the negative battery terminal and the other probe on the negative battery lead.

See how many amps are being drawn with the ignition off and all power accessories turned off. Should be less than 1 amp, or reading in the milliamps.

If it's showing high, start pulling fuses one by one to see if the reading changes. Pinpointing where the drain is.

Awesome information Ross, cheers for that. Haven't got around to finding the battery drain yet.... Just doing the cheap-skate way, and when the car's in the shed, just disco the battery or leave the trickle charger on it haha.

As for the MAF issue, turns out strongs definition of 'known good' means broken. Thing was busted and reading out a constant 5v when the car was on. Replacement replacement MAF arrived this arvo haha. Hoping to really get the car going again aye, I miss driving this girl.

• General Member

reasonably common one is the electrical aerial not hitting "home" and always trying to pull down the twig

but yea isolation is the key technique there as per the good man Ross's advice

• Admin
 Joker said:
reasonably common one is the electrical aerial not hitting "home" and always trying to pull down the twig

but yea isolation is the key technique there as per the good man Ross's advice

Trying to pull down the twig? What does one mean?

Do you mean trying to pull down the Ariel? If so that'd normally make sense, but my Ariel is Manual. By hand only bruv ! Old school ;)

Edited by Dairusire