Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel Tank.....

muncher

Hey all. When I fill my V8 Scoobie fuel tank. It reads full then only a short drive later, (approx. 40k's) the needle falls down to between full and three quarters. After that the drop is how I would expect it to be. Has anyone else noticed how quickly the initial drop is? Or is this unique to me? Also why are the tanks so small:confused: Ok nuff said.

I have a legacy and from full it stays that way for ages then drops normally till about 1/2 full then drops like a stone till the last notch and then seems to be normal again. Not sure if this is normal either, maybe something to do with the fuel level sender unit.

?

have heard of this issue in the v8 sti, seen it first hand.

only thing that sorted the issue I saw was regularly running the tank down to empty. like, empty empty. then filling it right up. 2 or 3 cycles seemed to have sorted the issue, sorted it for a few months then it'd come back.

nothing in the ecu that can change it, I looked LOL

not exactly helpful, but that's what I've seen and done to fix.

kwi_fozze said:
have heard of this issue in the v8 sti, seen it first hand.

only thing that sorted the issue I saw was regularly running the tank down to empty. like, empty empty. then filling it right up. 2 or 3 cycles seemed to have sorted the issue, sorted it for a few months then it'd come back.

nothing in the ecu that can change it, I looked LOL

not exactly helpful, but that's what I've seen and done to fix.

Yeah, did it before and have to call AA to fill up my tank, lol.

Depend on how you drive it imo. If i go highway after fill up, it will be about 70 ~ 100 km before the needle start going down, but if I got stuck in traffic jam or city traffic then after 40 ~ 50 km, the needle start to drop. Anw, it wouldn't bother me much, I just bother how many km i can go for the full tank, well not technically full tank but from full point to empty point on the fuel gauge.

Usually when the needle come to empty line, I fill it up and it only take 45l while the manual said 60l but I don't care much about that

Not sure if this is v8 wrx issue but the be/bh legacy black dash has issues similar with fuel gauge randomly dropping problem is dry/cracked soldier joints. could try removing the v8 dash and resoldier the contacts.. if there is a break in the soldier you should be able to see it if you look hard enough

It's small BECAUSE RACECAR

And most cars seem to do that "top half slow, second half pause then fast" thing - almost every car I've had has had some sort of quirk like that with the gauge. The only accurate ones seem to be anything with a "distance to empty", and even then that never seems to correspond with the analogue gauge anyway