Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

got me a 3.0R now the questions..

Xcellent

Hey Guys picked up an 04 3.0R auto wagon and so far very happy. Before i spend money on it just want to pick your brains if I could. I have searched the forum and got some answers but just want to check a few things. Firstly it has the factory Kenwood stereo and what appears to panasonic gps (with no buttons) appears to be very few with this system.

1. If i purchase a clock/pocket section to replace the gps screen will it wire up and give outside temp etc or just the clock (do these have fuel usage also)?

2. Love my music & also need handsfree for work, like the look of the parrot systems but they use their own amp not the vehicle amp can this be wired into the car amp? or would I be better with an ipod plug in system & seperate hands free system?

3. What is the best dry type aftermarket panel air filter for this car and where can I find one?

Thanks

Brett

the pocket can be easily replaced. there is a plug that will fit straight in the clock. if you need conversion kit than pm me, i have a set with me.

as for the stereo you mentioned you currently have a kenwood factory stereo. these units dont have a separate amp, only macintosh factory stereos have a separate amps. or and you will need a conversion kit for fitting a aftermarket stereo as well. i might have one but will need to check first.

there are a few aftermarket filters on the market,ill probably go for an apexi one.

Thanks for that, had an apexi on a sti I've owned previous so will go down that track. Good to know about clock as the units aren't cheap.

sorry should of explained the stereo thing clearer I meant the inbuilt stereo amp as that must still be better than the parrot one?

An aftermarket stereo would be good but the price of the units I've seen needed to do that are very high so not sure I can justify that at this stage.

sorry should of explained the stereo thing clearer I meant the inbuilt stereo amp as that must still be better than the parrot one?

An aftermarket stereo would be good but the price of the units I've seen needed to do that are very high so not sure I can justify that at this stage.

from my opinion 03-05 legacy's with kenwood has come with poor quality sound from stereos, speakers are ok. putting in aftermarket stereos does make a large different on sound quality.

prices do range, as for the parrot i think they are over rated. there are some stereos which are cheaper and does a better job than parrot.

Air filter wise you cant go wrong with a Simota Panel from Broomfish ($45)...they are an oiled filter, and need to be cleaned every 5000 kms (I just buy 2 and a spare ready to go).

Ive been running one for 3 years and 30,000 kms no problems in a modified 2004 Legacy GT Spec B. Friend also got one for his 2007 Outback GT and loves it !!!.

heylinb4nz said:
Air filter wise you cant go wrong with a Simota Panel from Broomfish ($45)...they are an oiled filter, and need to be cleaned every 5000 kms (I just buy 2 and a spare ready to go).

Ive been running one for 3 years and 30,000 kms no problems in a modified 2004 Legacy GT Spec B. Friend also got one for his 2007 Outback GT and loves it !!!.

Yea I wont be using an oiled filter in my subaru

Yeah I dont buy into the oiled filter \ MAF thing

K&N debunked this already (http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massairfindings.htm)

Real world use, I have ran oiled filters (panel and pod) in all my MAF equipped performance cars anywhere from 3 to 10 years of ownership and putting upto 100,000kms on the cars...not one single MAF failure...this was using Simota + K&N pods and panel filters, pretty sure I used to over oil them as well. Perhaps I was lucky ?

heylinb4nz said:
Yeah I dont buy into the oiled filter \ MAF thing

K&N debunked this already (http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massairfindings.htm)

Real world use, I have ran oiled filters (panel and pod) in all my MAF equipped performance cars anywhere from 3 to 10 years of ownership and putting upto 100,000kms on the cars...not one single MAF failure...this was using Simota + K&N pods and panel filters, pretty sure I used to over oil them as well. Perhaps I was lucky ?

I agree.

My old Subie had a Uni Filter triple layer oiled filter thingy in it for the 9 years I had it, never caused an issue, and I was rather generous with the oil!

Current car has a Simota one in it already.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an anycarlink plugged into the CD changer port on the McIntosh system. Gives me bluetooth and Aux input plus SD card etc. The sound quality for music is outstanding on the bluetooth. It goes a bit soft for voice calls for some reason though. Also upgraded the parcel shelf sub with a kicker unit that punches a bit harder along with some dynamat on the shelf. A worthwhile investment.

Cheers for all the help guys, picked up a Grom unit. Installed it today and so far so good :-) When cleaning the car also noticed a small Crack in the dash where they all seem to go on the passengers side by the airbag. Anything I can do to stop it spreading orm prevent more cracks?

• Admin
 Xcellent said:
Cheers for all the help guys, picked up a Grom unit. Installed it today and so far so good :-) When cleaning the car also noticed a small Crack in the dash where they all seem to go on the passengers side by the airbag. Anything I can do to stop it spreading orm prevent more cracks?

They seem to all have brittle dashes. Maybe look into some sort of conditioner to soften the material?

Personally I'm just gonna grab a dash from a wrecker...