Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ECU Swap from manual to auto

Legacy05

Hi guys,

I am selling my 2005 GT this month and want to keep the tuned computer. It's standard but has been dyno programmed to a 320hp in "power" mode and running Spring boost pressure in "Eco" mode. I am taking off all the performance upgrades to bring the car back to original along with keeping the computer.

My question is, can I swap in a stock ecu from an auto same year and make? What possible side effects/issues could that cause?

Cheers in advance for your input.

Andy_Mac said:
Auto from the same year will be alright, swapping it into a manual car will not work though, there are some auto and manual specific tables that won't be set correctly.

320hp is pretty good, is rhat at the wheels or engine?

191wkw ish my guess.

Download your tune

Keep it on your laptop

Then you can chuck that in your new car which I am assuming is the same make & model AND new owner of your old car gets to go fast

Though if your new car isn't an identical make & model are you sure it's worth bothering keeping the ECU anyway

Great replies thanks guys,

I want the parts off the old car for my new project car that will use the same engine so can't reuse the computer as its setup for all the mods.

So if the auto computer won't work is there a way of 'resetting' as such the modified computer to revert to standard stock tune?

Andy_Mac said:
Auto from the same year will be alright, swapping it into a manual car will not work though, there are some auto and manual specific tables that won't be set correctly.

320hp is pretty good, is rhat at the wheels or engine?

Engine. That would have been nice at the wheels!

Yep 100% can be reset to stock, a stock tune can be loaded onto it through a "tactrix" cable, same way it would have got tuned to start with

Bit of a waste to do that though, it's like stripping back a custom paint job to stock, money spent then thrown away

Someone on here is would be bound to swap you the tuned ecu for their stock one if you put it out there I bet

kwi_fozze said:
Aaaaahh

In that case, you are better off copying he ecu image then reflashing the stock one back on

I have a library, and ways of acquiring stock images.

Where are you based?

Christchurch, that would be awesome if you can help mate!

Andy_Mac said:
That, unless he's going a different route now.

http://www.factoryfive.com/galleries/project-818/818c-coupe/

That's my project car :-)

Delivery has been delayed as the rear three windows were delayed in manufacture. Should be here end of March. Trevor Crow is also importing one.

On the ECU note, I have found a 2003 GT ECU out of a 5speed. Can anyone tell me if this will work in my 2005GT?

evowrx said:
If it was my project id go straight to a wire in ecu and build a new loom its just such a mish pissing round with trying to cut the loom up etc.

I am planning on running a G4 with traction control.

Doesn't help my predicament now though which is trying to get my daily de modified ready for sale. Do you think the 2003 ECU will work without issues on my 2005?

Legacy05 said:
I am planning on running a G4 with traction control.

Doesn't help my predicament now though which is trying to get my daily de modified ready for sale. Do you think the 2003 ECU will work without issues on my 2005?

Ok coz i was as confused as everyone else. So you dont want the ecu for the new project you just want to return it to suit stock setup?

I dont know if that ecu would work so i cant tell you if it will or wont.