Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Loud Metallic Noise

Guest Bjcnz

Guest Bjcnz

Heeya Guys. I recently just replaced my front brakes with Two Pot Items (which I rebuilt and painted, have another thread on it) and now there's this nasty Metallic noise coming from the front. I've pulled the brakes off and they look perfect, no scuffing or shiny marks on the disks front or back, pads are new and there's no abnormal marks on them and there's nothing loose on them. So I'm perplexed, the noise only happens when I brake hence why I think its the brakes but who knows, any ideas? Tearing my hair out because everything looks fine

PS Never buy lock wheel nuts from Super Cheap, they shred after only taking them off twice and then you have to weld another nut on to pull them off, you think for $40 for 4 they'd be sweet

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boostcut

yeah... im thinkin the same thing..

and about your lock nuts... are you a gorilla? your wheel nuts dont need to be overly tight.. 90-110nm for your subaru id think

Guest Bjcnz
 boostin said:

Your pads are in with the metal backing plate away from the discs aren't they??

Haha yes, I'm no doosh, I know what I'm doing haha.

Naa I didn't have them on very tight, they're just really crap ones with a flimsy tool that they hide in the back of the box so you cant see it

Guest boostcut

how about push the backing plate/shield thing back away from the disc.. i bet thats your problem... you would have bent it pulling the hub around to access the caliper bolts

Guest Bjcnz

I checked that as well but there's no rubbing or anything, I had it in neutral and spun the disks around and couldn't hear or see anything (plus you'd see shiny/scuff marks if something was rubbing on the disk), only happens when I brake hard but there's definitely no rubbing. I'm so confused, I thought it would have been I just didn't tighten the bolts enough, but they were on tight and there was no play. Gaah, butt thanks for your suggestions, keep them coming :-D

Guest boostcut

did you lube the disc pads where they sit in the caliper saddle?? my mrs is leaning over my shoulder and saying she thinks its a screw in the speaker because it was the same in her car!!!! i think she could be completely right!!!

Guest Bjcnz

Naa I didn't lube the disk pads, but could that really make a really loud nasty metallic thud? Its just goes Thud thud thud thud really loudly. Haha thank your GF, that must be it! Actually I wouldn't me surprised, I only get sound out of my left speaker half the time, a quarter both sides, and the other quarter the right side lulz

Guest Bjcnz

I can def feel it in the brake pedal, but the stone guard isn't rubbing. And I've pulled the disks off and had a look and they look fine to me, I had them machined before i put them on as well. Had Evolution motors look at the disks and they thought they looked fine too. Humphh, there were talks of cv problems, but I doubt that if its only happening when I'm braking.

I thought it was only happening from the front right, but when I took someone for a drive they thought it was in the front left, though I guess you couldn't really tell unless we both swapped sides.

I'm not going to be able to pull them off again till I weld a new nut on to pull the old wheel nut off haha, honestly, I will ever buy a no named locking nut ever again.

Guest Bjcnz

PS, they had a very interesting Mitsi Mirage that I swore was a WRX, but it has a 400 hp Evo 3 motor in the front, thats just ridiculous for a front wheel drive car, They also had a nice 700 hp RX7 Batty too, Do want!

Guest keltik

You sure youve got the rotor mounted properly? I cant think of a lot else that would cause this other than a shot wheel bearing

Guest Bjcnz

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're on correctly, I mean, I've taken each side off three times checking it, and there was no play in the rotors when I had the wheels on, unless I just suck haha. Its definitely a brake problem I would have thought, though can wheel bearings make that noise only when under braking?

Wonder if the disk is slightly bent? I know you get nasty noises on a mountain bike when its disks are slightly bent, though not a thud thud thud.

Bjcnz said:

PS, they had a very interesting Mitsi Mirage that I swore was a WRX, but it has a 400 hp Evo 3 motor in the front, thats just ridiculous for a front wheel drive car, They also had a nice 700 hp RX7 Batty too, Do want!

You can get AWD mirage's, and it's not an uncommon mod to evo them. Fucking awesome little cars when boosted.

Guest Bjcnz
 ReubenH']

[quote name='Bjcnz said:

/quote]

You can get AWD mirage's, and it's not an uncommon mod to evo them. ****ing awesome little cars when boosted.

Naa this ones front wheel drive, and awd mirage would be mad

Guest boostcut

it may just be a coincedence but your cv hub nut sounds like it could be loose.... take it to somewhere that has a rattle gun and crank it up

Guest Bjcnz
 boostcut said:

it may just be a coincedence but your cv hub nut sounds like it could be loose.... take it to somewhere that has a rattle gun and crank it up

Haha yeah, there were talks of that, but it would have to be a huge coincidence, but I think I will get it checked out

Guest Bjcnz
 DRFVDR said:

were the disks machined on the car or removed

machining in situ is better as it eliminates any run out between hub and disk

The disks were off the car when they were machined. But there is definitely no rubbing what so ever on the disks