Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WRX v7 cambelt advice

I need some advice! My 2001 wrx has done 192,000 km so is (over)due a cambelt change. The quotes I got are for between $1125 and $1600.

My dilemma is that my husband takes public transport to work so we listed the car for sale but haven't had any strong interest. My family are coming out in 6 weeks when our first child is due for a couple of months so a second car would be really useful.

My options as I see it are:

1) Keep driving it for local trips and hope the cambelt doesn't fail.

2) Use up a decent chunk of our baby savings to replace the cambelt.

3) Drop the price (currently $5000) in the hopes of getting more interest.

Does anyone have any advice? I guess really I want to know how bad it would be to keep driving it - the quotes seem about right to replace the cambelt? And looking at what else is out there I thought $5k wasn't totally unreasonable?

Many thanks in advance and sorry for the essay,

Sophie

The belt itself will probably be OK, it will be one of the idlers or the tensioner that will fail which will then cause the belt to slip/wear causing damage. If the job hasn't ever been done and you're at 192km I would rule out option 1. What is the rest of the car like? If it's in good condition you could spend the money on the belt job and it could last another 200000km.

It was done at 90,000 km but not since. Rest of the car is in pretty good nick - paint chips and check engine light is on (o2 sensor issue that the mechanic did a quick and dirty fix on) but they're the only issues as far as I know...

I wouldn't bother

You'll spend $1500 on something which won't add any more value to the car, half the new owners wont care anyway. Yes it's due to be done, but to be honest it's already a pretty cheap car as it is. The belts don't just go "bang" at 100,000km, it's a recommended interval - for arguments' sake hemi the boyracers' car which spends half it's life at 5000rpm will have a more worn out belt etc at 60,000km than nana's one at 160,000km does.

The check engine light is a far bigger thing to sort from my POV in terms of "reasons people wouldn't buy it". They are taking your word the problem is minor, and most people wouldn't trust it (I wouldn't). The 02 sensor could be a $50 fix to be fair

I'd say don't change it, be prepared to knock $500 off the price as a goodwill thing maybe if they bring it up

According to the garage the catalytic converter has gone, which would be a $1000 fix, hence not doing it.

Think I'll risk it with the cambelt then - I know the girl who owned it before me and while neither of us are nanas, we're not boy racers either! Once all the family has gone we'll know our maternity-leave finances better so can make a decision - if it goes bang in the meantime you guys can have dibs on the shell!