Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Issue: 6 Speed clutch not getting enough throw

Dairusire

• Admin

So, I've read most threads from NASIOC, Type RA, and Club sub, But when doing a 6 speed conversion (which I've done) is a GDB STi + Master Cylinder needed?

My problem? I get a fairly good pedal feel, pedal returns etc, but I'm not getting enough throw to release the pressure plate enough to engage a gear properly without massive slip on the clutch plate.

I've bled the clutch out using multiple different methods.

I WILL NOTE!

I did have an issue before with the clutch pedal not returning properly on the 5 speed. Maybe a Master Cylinder issue or Slave from the 5 speed. Didn't happen a lot but the clutch feel was getting worse but the clutch seems to be alright.

Please help, it's the only thing stopping me from actually driving this car with the huge conversion that's just been done xD

Where is the clutch from? Are you using 5 speed clutch and flywheel or 6 speed clutch and flywheel? Thrust bearing type?

Been there done that issue, a complete pain in the ass.

• Admin
 ballsrburning said:
Where is the clutch from? Are you using 5 speed clutch and flywheel or 6 speed clutch and flywheel? Thrust bearing type?

Been there done that issue, a complete pain in the ass.

The clutch is from Drews Automotive. Same bloke that was down at Flat nats. I knew I should've messaged you ! haha Thanks for looking here.

It's a light weight 6speed Billet flywheel and clutch, Thrust bearing type?? if you're asking if it's a thrust bearing yes, or push pull, I believe it's pull being the standard setup on STi 6 speeds (running V10 STi DCCD box

Sorry Is the thrust bearing a standard Subaru type? Did you get decent amount of free play on clutch fork once engaged can you move it back and fore a little or is it essentially locked in place?

Mine is a little different as I am using a 5 speed 6 puk clutch and 5 speed flywheel on mine, the master cylinder is aftermarket but makes little difference as long as you're sure yours works. Slave cylinder is standard 5 speed type.

The issue with mine was all due to the clutch, when we bolted it up we had no free play on clutch fork the clutch fingers were basically horizontal which got changed and the padding was too thin, this got redone to be a lot thicker, and gave me enough play in the fork to work. I would make sure clutch is correct measurements as factory item.

Edited by ballsrburning

evowrx said:
Doesnt the slave cylinder shaft/rod need to be shortened?

Is there a difference between the slave cylinders on the 6 and 5 speed models?i don't know as I kept to 5 speed parts.

Just to clarify your running 6 speed clutch, flywheel and clutch fork? Which slave cylinder are you running 5 or 6 speed?

It's hard to say what the fault is as our setup is different. though I will be going 6 speed clutch etc myself when this one wears out. So would need to know too what the fault youre seeing is.

As I said my clutch was not quite right and didn't compare well to an oem item. When I sent it back to be redone it then worked fine. This was the cause of my problems.

You say you're using a v10 gearbox, are you sure this is compatible as I'm probably wrong but most threads state 6 speed up to 07. This may be the issue I would look into that just in case.

• Admin
 ballsrburning said:
You say you're using a v10 gearbox, are you sure this is compatible as I'm probably wrong but most threads state 6 speed up to 07. This may be the issue I would look into that just in case.

When I say Version 10, I'm meaning the Version 10 Hawkeye. aka the last of the GDB's. So afaik it should be compatible.