Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP jack points

willisnz

Wanting to do an oil change on my wife's car and wondering where people put jack stands? Have done some searching and not finding anything particularly helpful as most discussions on this assume you have a trolley jack.

I just have the scissor jack (x2) and a pair of jack stands from super cheap. Have used the scissor jack on the normal jack points for changing wheels, but can't jack at that point and put a stand there at the same time...

Am I stuffed without a trolley jack or is there somewhere else I can put jack stands?

Same here, I only have the scissor jack and what I did is I lifted only one side (pick the good one) with the scissor jack and secured it with a jack stand under the lower control arm (I think it was the LCA).

Then I went under the car and started the oil change. Just don't forget to remove the jack stand and the scissor jack before checking the oil level ;)

Are you in Auckland ?

Edited by delta

3 minutes ago, ADIKT said:

I also have a beautiful set of 2x4 ramps I 'have' to drive on to first before they jack can get under

Ahah that's what you get for lowering your car :)

Anyway a trolley jack makes it so much faster/easier, too bad they are so expensive

Just now, delta said:

Ahah that's what you get for lowering your car :)

Anyway a trolley jack makes it so much faster/easier, too bad they are so expensive

I got mine for an absolute steal from repco and it's decent too. Keep an eye out for a sale

3 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

A bit hard to see in the photo but should give you an idea. Used scissor jack at factory point, then a stand pretty much beside it but under the floor/frame (there's a round rubber bung) 

Good to know for the back, but I don't think there's a rubber thingy like that at the front, is there ?

Just now, delta said:

Good to know for the back, but I don't think there's a rubber thingy like that at the front, is there ?

That's the front in the photo :D

Rubber thingy is not the jack point - not sure what it actually is, only mention it to give you an idea where to look.

Anyway, that's what I successfully used for all the front end jobs: oil changes, headers, sway bar, braces, struts etc.. 

16 minutes ago, ADIKT said:

I got mine for an absolute steal from repco and it's decent too. Keep an eye out for a sale

Is it a branded trolley jack ? I used to have a no-name trolley and it made a weird noise at some point, I removed it and noticed it was twisted ...

I don't trust no-name trolley jacks since that day.

10 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

That's the front in the photo :D

Ahahah, I thought it was the back because of the exhaust parts on each side and the differential (used to RWD cars)

I'm going to hide somewhere where nobody can find me now :ph34r:

Edited by delta

47 minutes ago, willisnz said:

Repco's trolley jacks are on sale so might add one to the toolkit and solve my problem...

http://repco.co.nz/catalogue#view=product&itemId=85481018&saleId=8548

Make sure you get one that goes up high enough. The 450mm ones are the ones I'd be looking at. My one goes up to 380 and it's not always quite high enough. Also make sure the handle is study, mine is 2 price and a bit bendy. If i had to buy another one I would get the aluminium low profile one on page 2

I bought the Pro Lift 1650kg jack. Can't remember how much it was but wasn't expensive