Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WiFi keeps dropping out, how do I tell whats at fault??

Guest boostin

Guest boostin

Our damn WiFi keeps dropping out, getting really annoying. We had a crappy old DSE wireless router and I thought it was that, so I got a Netgear Rangemax router, and it still does it, but not as much.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5735, unmolested, with all the latest updates.

How do I figure out what the cause is? When it drops out, its usually only for 10 secs or so, and does it every couple of minutes.

try the laptop plugged straight into the modem first(to eliminate that it is a wireless fault)

Try a different laptop/wireless device to eliminate that it is a laptop fault

ring your provider and get them to do a line check

Do u have a cordless phone

if so what frequency is it(supposedly can be an issue)

what other electronic goodies u have running

I'm guessing that you also have security on it ? WPA or the like ?

Has it happened ever since you got the laptop ?

And last, but not least, does it happen continuously, like throughout the day, or like once every three days etc ?

I'm assuming your cordless phone isn't beside the AP also.

Guest boostin

Ok, the lappy works fine hardwired to the router, so its not that.

Yes we have a cordless phone and its in the opposite corner of the lounge on a separate jackpoint.

Security is enabled, but it still drops out with security disabled.

Yes continously, no haven't tried another laptop etc.

Other goodies - TV (dirty old CRT), VCR, DVD, PS2 and Freeview (waste of money). Standard stuff really.

I've updated the firmware on the router, no change.

I've checked for updates for the lappy wireless, none available.

So has it always done it ?

It's an interruption of the wireless signal for sure, whether interference, or, something up with the laptop's mPCI card ( either hardware or software fault )

There is a few ways to check which it is, but simple ones are as suggested, different laptop, which should isolate the AP as a problem, though, not all laptop wireless cards are the same, so may not be 100% accurate, but it's a start. That would be my first step.

Guest boostin

Yeah has always done it, and in 2 houses.

I suppose I could go find a wireless hotspot and try it there too??

Anyone got a laptop in West Auckland that they could try at some point??

Hi there, we get calls about this all the time, 99% it is caused by the wireless phone, best thing to do is change the wifi channel on the router, most phones are on 11 along with the routers, change to any other channel and see if that clears it up, even easier is to power off the phone and test for an hour or two, also turn off any other wireless devices in the house while testing. Shouldn;t be too hard to find the issue. Good luck.

crappy old DSE wireless router

did i miss something or...

go buy something with cisco in it and i bet your issues come right. Its likely to be the wireless channels as said above and the crappy routers just dont cope with.

fork and get some good gear.

Its like saying.. Im putting crappy 91 in my car and its running like a sack.. you know why ;)

funkytown said:

crappy old DSE wireless router

did i miss something or...

go buy something with cisco in it and i bet your issues come right. Its likely to be the wireless channels as said above and the crappy routers just dont cope with.

fork and get some good gear.

Its like saying.. Im putting crappy 91 in my car and its running like a sack.. you know why ;)

Except : "so I got a Netgear Rangemax router"

Guest boostin

Hmmm, everything I read said go for Netgear stuff.

I ran that vistumbler thing and it found 1 other network, but its listed as dead, less than 25% strength and on channel 1.

Guest itsgotgo

had this problem with the lappy for ages and it was pissing me no end!!!!!!

replaced with a good router thingey(not a techy at all)

still did it. >:(

rang the slingshot knob heads....explained what was going on....they said we will get you to enter some numbers to stabilise your connection(wife did it)

no problem since then, all good and has not dropped out again,problem solvered ;D

Guest boostin
 itsgotgo said:

had this problem with the lappy for ages and it was pissing me no end!!!!!!

replaced with a good router thingey(not a techy at all)

still did it. >:(

rang the slingshot knob heads....explained what was going on....they said we will get you to enter some numbers to stabilise your connection(wife did it)

no problem since then, all good and has not dropped out again,problem solvered ;D

Hmmm, I might give Xtra a call tomorrow then.

Netgear stuff is OK I'd say for what you need good luck with Xtra be interested to see if they help. I set up a wireless network for a customer the other day Xtra said to change the channel to 6 on the router.

Just a thought don't know how your place is wired but relocate your router to a different part of your place if you can see what that does.

caspros said:

So has it always done it ?

It's an interruption of the wireless signal for sure, whether interference, or, something up with the laptop's mPCI card ( either hardware or software fault )

There is a few ways to check which it is, but simple ones are as suggested, different laptop, which should isolate the AP as a problem, though, not all laptop wireless cards are the same, so may not be 100% accurate, but it's a start. That would be my first step.

If you don't get thrown off while your plugged in via ethernet its definitely interference, and my guess is its your cordless phone. What type of phone do you have? 2.4 Gigahertz phone? If its a cheap 2.4 gigahertz phone, no matter what channels you are operating on chances are it will hijack your network, plus your network will probably be on auto, so it "Should" detect the better channels to operate on, as a rule of thumb 11 is a good place to start (if you're going to do in manually)