Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

I thought it's about time my car broke down...

Scoobydoo

So it did tonight. Last time I drove it was on Monday night. Get in tonight, turn it over, no start. It turns over, just doesn't fire.

I haven't checked much as I was just pissed off so will probably get to it over the next couple of nights, or more likely the weekend. I did however check for CEL codes but there is none. I have removed the battery terminals to do an ECU reset.

I haven't done anything to the car recently for anything to break. The only thing in my routine that has changed is having to use Mobil8000 gas with E10 in it cos 98 is out. And yes there is gas in it now - just under 1/4 tank.

Having chatted to a few people, I have some things to check:

• All fuses
  • Remove the return fuel line and see if fuel comes out. No fuel - fuel pump is stuffed.
  • plugs and coils
  • AFM

I have also noticed over the last couple of weeks, it has taken an extra couple of turns before it fired... a sign that something has become not so good?

Can anyone else point me in any directions as to what to test?

Cheers.

Cam and crank angle sensors are the same right? If not, which is which? And how do you test them? I know one is on the passengers side of the block at the front.

That's the first thing, I thought it may have been, but the CEL doesn't show up with the code for it, it just blinks away normally.

I'm gonna have to remove the whole stereo out the boot to get to the fuel pump *sighs*

Oh well... these things do happen. At least the car is parked at home and it didn't happen somewhere on the road. Happy about that at least.

Ok, are you sure the battery is cranking fast enough?

Have you tried jumping it?

If you have, then the thing to do is listen for the pump going for a few seconds when you first turn the key on.

If there is a pump noise, then you turn the key off and you get under the bonnet and you squeeze a fuel hose while a mate turns the key on. If the pump is running, and pumping, the hose will bulge a little under the fuel pressurs.

If there is no pump noise then you need to check fuses, connection under the rear seat, ECU operation and fuel relay...in that order(because it's the easiest).

To test the ECU you could extract the trouble codes.

If you have fuel pressure then you need to check for compression and spark... in which ever order seems easiest.

Take one or more spark plugs out and fit the plugs to their coils and short them to earth. Get a mate to crank it over. There should be a spark. Have a look at the plugs to see if they are wet or dirty.

If you can get a compression tester, do a compression test.

If you can't find anything wrong so far it should probably go with a bit of coaxing. You could try a LITTLE cold start to see if it fires. If it fires with cold start then the compression and spark will be right.

It could be flooding or starving. Have you looked at the fuel filter lately? Air cleaner?

It could also have an air leak. Have you looked for vacuum hoses of or split?

Fuel pump noise / flow as mentioned is first check

ECU only looks at cam/crank and coolant temp to start engine all other sensors are ignored at initial start

and NO the sensors ie cam/crank are not the same, I know the look like it but they just aint !

Thanks Ichi Ban for coming over and checking the beast out. Sussed out the problem and now it's sorted. I think I may just replace the spark plugs anyway.

How many km's are Platinums rated to last for? These would've done maybe 15,000kms?