Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New headunit with factory speakers ok?

gemini

The cheap ass head unit in the Impreza looks bad and sounds bad and will be replaced.

Was just wondering what people think of the factory speakers?

I haven't pulled the covers off to look but got a good gain in my last vehicle just by changing the headunit.

From my limited experience you will get a good sound for a bit and then they will probably crackle and die and sound like mud after a while. That won't be until a wee bit down the track though so you should be fine for a bit... the louder you play the music the quicker they will die...

They have surprisingly good mid-bass from a crappy paper cone speaker... they are okay but if you like any kind of decent quality sound, or you play a lot of music in your car, then you'll want to upgrade. Even if they are cheap Sony's or Panasonic's.. they are still a put-load better than the factory ones.

They don't seem to like bass, they reverberate with the factory stereo set to <Bass +1>.

I'm thinking even factory speakers shouldn't flutter like that at low to mid volume on neutral bass settings.

Maybe a previous owner thrashed them and they're stuffed?

Have decided the factory speakers are not ok!

Only reason I was considering keeping them was when I upgraded the headunit in my last car the whole stereo sounded better.

So looking at a Sony headunit as I have a rotary commander already.

That sets some kind of upper quality limit for speakers I guess.

Any speaker brand/model recommendations to get the best out of a Sony headunit?

RM-X65

Was just looking at Sony headunits. Want one with rear USB input so I can route cable behind and sit phone/MP3 player on little shelf above headunit.

What about these speakers?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/A-Series/Pioneer/TS-A1702C

I assume the little boxes send the high end to the tweeters and the rest of the sound to the main speakers

I cant be certain about 6 3/4" speakers. If you wanted A series speakers then I'd go for http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/A-Series/Pioneer/TS-A1683R

Or my choice from those Pioneer options would be http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/D-Series/Premier/TS-D602P

or

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/D-Series/Pioneer/TS-D1602R

You will be able to get the others in, but you'll need to make an aftermarket speaker ring to replace the plastic factory mounting kit.

Those Pioneer speakers look ok, they probably need to be amped though - factory headunits generally do not provide enough power for components; the little power they do produce (~18W RMS per channel) is probably dissapated as heat in the x-over units... also for easy fitment, aim for either 6" or 6.5" speakers (16.5 - 17cm)

Sony have not used the rotary commander since the late 90's - be it the wired or wireless model. So I'm guessing it will not be compatible with any of the newer Sony headunits on the market. Think back to the early units CDX-5600X...

The Pioneer DEH-P5050UB has both the USB and 3.5mm aux input at the rear to give the front a tidier look, also has 3xRCA outs, and can be had about $300 (ish) maybe cheaper, being last years model

Speakers

So TS-A1683S is a good speaker?

If i do go for the tweeters would i run the rear speakers off the headunit and then use a two channel amp to power the fronts and tweeters?

Headunit

Can you change between preset radio stations easily on those Pioneer headunits? Don't see the usual 1 - 6 buttons.

Pioneer headunits are almost the easiest to operate, most ppl don't even read the manuals. Alpine OTOH - not the case, rather fidgety, i should have stuck with Pioneer.

The jog/volume knob; up/down toggle is preset/folder, left/right is tuning/skip, there is also the list button which you can scroll preset stations, playlists on your iPod, MP3 disc, etc... making it a rather versatile unit. For comparison, most other units don't have the list button to scroll songs/playlists.