Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bonnet Scoop - Gen1 heat question

Bazza-NZ

How much does a gen1 bonnet scoop actually do? I've gone back to water to air cooled intercooling system so thinking about changing over to a NA bonnet, just for looks, turn it into a real sleeper

so will changing over my bonnet from gen1 with little scoop to a NA bonnet have any significant changes/damage?

only thing i can think of is hot air isn't going to be released out the top when stopped and no air will be able to flow through during driving, will this cause any heating problems? i've heat wrapped my header and downpipe

Guest boostcut

what you can do to release hot air is pack the bonnet hinge up with spacers/washers if your rugged. at night you can see the hot air coming over the windscreen on my car

boostcut said:

what you can do to release hot air is pack the bonnet hinge up with spacers/washers if your rugged. at night you can see the hot air coming over the windscreen on my car

Haha drift styles right there... so thats how you defrost your window so quick ;)

I'm just concerned about collecting too much heat in the engine bay by going to an NA bonnet, but i don't have anything to worry about then?

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

there been a few different opinions on this, 1 being the "chimney" helps with cooling at idle or low speeds ( heat rises ) or the other being that when at speed the scoop "sucks" air and forces it down onto the turbo via the chimney to cool the turbo.

id say its a bit of both :)

what color is your turbo bonnet bazza? id be keen to swap ya if its metallic silver/grey.

there been a few different opinions on this, 1 being the "chimney" helps with cooling at idle or low speeds ( heat rises ) or the other being that when at speed the scoop "sucks" air and forces it down onto the turbo via the chimney to cool the turbo.

yea the scoop isnt actually there for the intercooler,just the turbo, id say it will be sweet,

myt as well get some legacy brighton badges 2 bro

Koom said:

Just put a heat sheild off a later model car so that it doesn't have the chimney. Then the scoop would be superfluous anyway.

Yeah the scoop is all for turbo cooling. Even later WRX's and Legacys have a small amount of air flowing from the scoop down over the turbo/s, but as Koom says, none of them have a chimney. Just get a heat shield off a WRX and fit that.

the_return_of_the_jedi said:

what color is your turbo bonnet bazza? id be keen to swap ya if its metallic silver/grey.

Mine is a metallic dark green Mica, colour code 278..

i'm thinking of testing out my new air pressure paint gun ;D might do it black and 2 tone the car

the turbo skylines have there intercooler mounted in front of the left front wheel so it will probably be fine if your running a fmic as the scoop is mainly for the tmic. I've heard a few skyline owners lift up the back of their bonnets using spaces on the hinges for heat dissapation like Boostcut has mentioned. thought of just removing the scoop and get a sheet of steel welded over the scoop hole and leave those vents in the bonnet?

turborunner said:

the turbo skylines have there intercooler mounted in front of the left front wheel so it will probably be fine if your running a fmic as the scoop is mainly for the tmic. I've heard a few skyline owners lift up the back of their bonnets using spaces on the hinges for heat dissapation like Boostcut has mentioned. thought of just removing the scoop and get a sheet of steel welded over the scoop hole and leave those vents in the bonnet?

dont they lift the bonet at the rear becoz of there coils getting 2 hot or summin, as for the chimney,alot havent got them anymore anyway and the factory scoop without the chimney isnt worth having as it wont flow air onto turbo, cant see anything wrong with it

G-unit']

[quote name='turborunner said:

/quote]

dont they lift the bonet at the rear becoz of there coils getting 2 hot or summin, as for the chimney,alot havent got them anymore anyway and the factory scoop without the chimney isnt worth having as it wont flow air onto turbo, cant see anything wrong with it

I'm guessing that he's refering to a wrx bonnet as the Legacy one doesn't have the vents (which from factory are pretty much sealed on an Impreza anyway) and the Legacy scoop(vent) doesn't have anything to do with the intercooler, just venting heat from the chimney as already discussed.

Later cars loose the chimney because subaru realised that with out it turbo lag decreased. (Because hot air/gases travel faster then cooler air). The later model heat sheild keeps the heat in the exhaust/turbo so exhaust temp & speed will both be high. The sheild will also stop the heat being trasfered to every thing else in the engine bay.

The vents are also blocked on a std car as well.

You could also remove the rear bonnet seal & like has been said just raise it slightly.