Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

3.0Ltr

subiv5 said:

Just wondering the same thing myself. i know there are a few keen 3.0R's on here but does anyone know much about the newer shape legacy with the H6/3.0R engine?

I am looking at something along the lines of this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=211780948

Im not sure about top speed, but i know for a fact that the new legacy 30.R (w/ 6 speed) is faster than a new gt-b spec legacy (manual also) to 100km/h. I con'd the guys from wingers to have a sneaky "race".

The one thing i didn't like about the new gt b-spec legacy's, is that they feel too mature with the twin scroll turbo. They dont have any bottom end, some mid and some top.

The 3.0R had plenty at the bottom, still very lively in the mid, but slightly less right up the top.

If i had the choice id pick the 3.0R, its much nicer for cruising and around town, but can still give you fun in the tight twisties with its low end torque. To do the same in the gt-spec b you would have to be thrashing the pants off of it.

In saying that, if you had a 3.0R and felt like you dont have enough power in the top, you could always put a turbo on it...

Yep but the 343nm was about 5000rpm on the old twin turbo...

anyways here's a review from back in the day.

Sums it up - almost as fast as the twin scroll turbo in a straight line, just as good in the twistys, better fuel economy.

Monday, November 22nd, 2004

Article sourced from NZ Autocar, October 2004. Written by Paul Owen.

Ice Dancer

We drive the new Subaru Legacy 3.0R from Arrowtown to Auckland over one of the iciest weekends of the winter. Can it stand scrutiny as the finest Japanese Gran Turismo available over such slippery conditions?

-1 degrees

The outside temperature gauge would be a constant source of amusement on the drive from Arrowtown to Auckland, as well as serve warning of probable ice on the road up ahead. After flying into Queenstown for the launch of the Subaru Legacy 3.0R, weve got a manual Spec B version pointing northwards for the next three days, a drive we hope will lead to higher air temperatures than this. Its nearly 10 oclock in the morning for crying out loud, and the inner Aucklander in me is waving his arms and stamping his feet muttering steamy expletives under his breath at the absence of a warm cafe and an even warmer double-shot latte.

Not that the Spec B gives a toss about its drivers addictions, or the fact that hes going cold turkey in more ways than one when he vacates its warm cabin to take photos. Were climbing the saddle of the Crown Range to Wanaka - the highest tarsealed route in the land - and one covered with treacherous white-blue ice on the Friday morning leading to the coldest weekend of the year. The queue of cars were following is skidding all over the place, but not the black Spec B. The drivers in front seem to notice its serene calm in the midst of the storm, and pull over to let us pass. Now carrying another 30km/h into the Crowns corners, the Legacy really shows its mettle. Individual wheels break loose at times, but the all-wheel-drive systems reacts quickly, keeping the car moving forward in the intended direction. Although not a recipient of a VSC stability system like the automatic 3.0R Legacy, Spec B offers such stability on this slippery road that it clearly demonstrates that none is needed.

For were definitely entering Subaru Country, crossing the Crown. The road is busy at this time of year, with ski - and snowboard - bedecked vehicles heading to the Cardrona ski fields, and it seems every third one bears the constellation badge. By the time we reach Wanaka, its clear that our black bee is something of an object of desire. Its turning heads in this snow-laden town with all the pulling power that an HSV or FPV would have in Matamata.

3 degrees

After making a few phone calls before entering the cell phone-coverage-free wilderness that is the Haast Pass, its time to check the effects of the 3.0 litre boxer six on the Legacys legendary chassis balance. The temperature gauge is now showing a more encouraging reading as the twisty turns of SH6 around Lake Hawea appear through the windscreen. The normally aspirated six-cylinder engine and its new, STi-sourced six-speed gearbox add around 90kg of weight; the turbocharged Legacy GT tested last year came in at 1468kg, and this Spec B would later hit the 1556kg mark when we put it on the scales at our offices. Thats still commendably light for an all-wheel-drive six, and the VBOX would prove the 180kW engine can come close to emulating the straight-line performance of the GT, with a 0-100km/h time just 1.2 seconds slower at 6.9 seconds. But what about the handling?

It only takes a few corners to realise that its hard to tell the difference between the GT and the 3.0R versions of the Legacy from behind the wheel. The GTs agility and sportscar-like turn-into the corners has faithfully carried over to the new six-cylinder sport-saloon, as has its endearing ability to tuck the nose in tight following a throttle lift mid-corner. This the Spec B does beautifully on tar; on gravel surfaces it can be used to flick out the tail entering corners, fulfilling any Solberg fantasies.

Whats also apparent is that, in an automotive world where steering feel is increasingly becoming a rare commodity, Subaru has blessed the Spec B with spade-loads. You just know that driving enthusiasts sorted this car in the same way youre instantly aware that like - minded people work for Porsche upon first drive of a 911. In terms of the details that enhance the driving experience, some Subarus deserve comparison with ultra-expensive supercars, and the 3.0R Legacy is one of them.

At $57,990, the Legacy six-gun costs $2000 less than its four-chambered turbocharged cousin, the GT, yet it gives you an extra forward ratio to play with. Having determined that there is little in terms of their handling to separate the two Subarus, its the powertrains that create the points of difference. You have to work the noblow six harder than the GTs engine to extract its best performance, but the six-speed makes this no chore, aided by perfect placement of its pedals.

At the top of the Haast, we catch up with the snowstorm that had made the Crown saddle such a demanding drive, and it will be our constant companion for the rest of the day. As we encounter warmer climes on the journey north, the gently descending snowflakes will turn into huge, explosive raindrops.

Reaching the Coast, the sun appears, and all is right with the world as the Spec B starts to turn the South Island into its own treadmill, treating its driver like a personal trainer. The tall sixth gear allows the engine to turn slowly at high cruising speeds, and on one long straight, we pass a silver WRX Impreza STi. The road immediately tightens after the straight, and the STi driver comes after us like a wounded bull. The red mist descends as the two Subarus lock in combat over a stretch of SH6 so tight and twisty that even carrying the 100km/h limit is a liability. One of the hairpins has the lowest corner advisory speed ever set by the AA, at 15km/h. Yet its all meat and drink to the Spec B, as it establishes a lead of around ten car lengths on the STi that it never relinquishers. Look no further for clear proof that this car has genuine sporting credentials.

7 degrees

The temperature gauge shows Hokitika to be the warmest place on the coast this afternoon, the sun is shining through the left-side windows of the Legacy, while views through the right side are full of the snowstorm still dumping its load on the Alps. And its definitely time to throttle back a little, as there seems to be a cop hiding around every corner. Has there been a prison escape? No, just a harassed police force in need of a steady stream of speeding tickets to meet the Ministers demands.

With the Legacy in cruise mode, we reach Greymouth and a fuel stop, the second of the day as we had filled the tank in Wanaka. Despite the pace set in Southern Westland, the 3.0R had proved capable of travelling 600km on its 64-litre tank, a feat the GT version would find hard to emulate. Helping achieve this is the six-speed manual gearbox, along with the smoother airflow created by the scoop-less bonnet. It is the fuel consumption factor that would sway us towards the six-cylinder Legacy over the GT, given that the difference in performance is relatively minor.

Besides, the 3.0R has so far shown plenty of ability to live up to the Gran Turismo moniker. Id made arrangements from Wanaka to stay in the Blackball Hilton for the night, be Ive arrived in Greymouth feeling so fresh and exhilarated by the drive, that I just want to keep going.

So the Spec B and I hit the coast road north towards Westport. Little did I know at the time that the comfort this car provides and the driving pleasure it imparts would seduce me into continuing northwards until I ran out of island.

5 degrees

Darkness descends as I fling the Spec B around the serpentine tarmac of Takaka Hill. Its a road etched deeply into the memory banks of the Owens, yet those memories also warn that the Hill can catch drivers out with its daily surprises. Right on cue, an oncoming double-cab ute strays over the white line exiting a corner, and leaves the Legacy with a quarter of the width of the road through which to squeeze. The left track of the car is off the edge, the wheels spitting gravel; the right is on the tar and hooking up. We miss nutting the ute head-on but the thickness of a coat of paint, and with the left track carrying all the weight of the car in the ensuing corner, theres a touch of oversteer before we fully regain the road again. There are other cars that could have come through this situation, but would they have been as easy to control as the Legacy? Only those of the adaptive all-wheel-drive variety.

We descend the Hill, and eventually pull into a Tukurua bed-and-breakfast for the night. Its run by my former neighbours, Buss and Victoria Davis, and their 10-acre property commands one of the most spectacular views in New Zealand: a 260-degree seascape from Durville Island to Mount Taranaki. Its this prospect that makes the $125 tariff at the Moonbow Beach B&B worth paying, so much so that Victorias awesome breakfast and her art works - stone sculptures, photography and Wearable Art costumes - could be considered bonuses. As I hop out of the Legacy, I notice that the odometer is showing Ive travelled 960km from Arrowtown that day. Funny, I could have sworn it was more like 300km.

14 degrees

Three days later, the outside air temperature is positively balmy as the grime encrusted Spec B crosses the Bombay Hills, and begins its final descend into Auckland. Its fair to say that Ive bonded with this car so completely over our 2000km journey that handing it back to Subaru NZ will be like sawing off a limb. It feels like an extension to my body thanks to the Subarus usual attention to ergonomic detail - its amongst the best of the mainstream brands when it comes to making cars fit their drivers like tailored suits.

Its hard to be picky about the Spec B: the Bilsteins and stiff springs have a firm ride at urban speeds, and the placement of two large sports-drinks in the twin cup-holders may hinder gear-lever access, but thats about all I can point the finger at. Usually a drive of this magnitude brings a cars flaws to the fore; however, the Legacy 3.0R only got better the more the kilometres passed under its wheels, and freed up a still-tight and virginal engine. On the boring bits of the drive, the six-disc MacIntosh CD player kept me entertained with its concert-hall clarity and quality. Ive noticed musical nuicances in my favourite CDs I wasnt aware of before, and the subwoofer-equipped Macca system definitely lived up to the American audio manufacturers high reputation.

Is the Legacy 3.0R Spec B the finest sports sedan available for less than six figures? Thats a question well have to answer soon with a comparison test, but whats clear from this experience is that it is the best Legacy currently available. And remember that Legacy is our current Car of the Year. Best of the best is a title worth having, and one that the 3.0R Spec B earns on the strength of its performance, handling prowess, well-sorted details, fuel use and significant active-safety advantages.

Guest boostin

3 litres rock, the 3.6's go even harder! The 3.6 has dual AVCS.

If I could get my hands on a cheap BEED (that's a facelift gen 3 sedan 3.0) I would be a very happy man. I love those things!!

Used to have a '06 3.0R AUTO. Pretty nice car but compared to driving my B4 as far as performance goes it lacks. Living in dunedin on the hills its a pain to get it moving anywhere without some stick. Anything under 4k rpm and you aint getting very far. Jump from 3rd to 2nd gear is pretty rash - e.g. 60km/h on a progressive hill at 3.5k rpm, start losing power, kick into second and the car just wants to 'race'.

On the flats its a great wee car and fuel economy is great when it comes to casual driving. A 8.5L/100km is easily obtainable on a regular basis.

Sticks to the road like glue, had Eagle F1's on and it is probably the safest car for cornering i have ever been in - gives you alot of confidence!

Prob a bit out of what most people are saying on here but i thought i'd add my 2c.

Qwerty said:

Good read ;D I could be tempted by a 3.0R when the time comes to replace the GTB. They sound sweet too!

PS 343Nm peak at 5000rpm for the GTB yes, but over 80% of that is on tap from 2000-6500 ;) (according to Subaru) .

GravelBen']

[quote name='Qwerty said:

/quote]

Good read ;D I could be tempted by a 3.0R when the time comes to replace the GTB. They sound sweet too!

PS 343Nm peak at 5000rpm for the GTB yes, but over 80% of that is on tap from 2000-6500 ;) (according to Subaru) .

haha except between 4000-and 4750 ;)

Heh heh :P not a problem for mine! (Rev D) But fair call, I know they're not all as good.

Exactly why some have bad VOD and some hardly any I'm not sure, generally healthier examples with less miles on them are better but not always. Anyways thats getting a bit off topic, I do like the 3.0 cars as well but haven't driven one myself to compare.

In a BP id rather have a 3.0R but in BH im pretty much split. The older EZ30 is just so gutless, just beats the shit outta the twin turbo on reliability.