Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Sub Dillemma

I've just recently installed two sound stream amps and subs in my mates VR Commy Sedan

he had the auto sparky run his amp kit through for me

hes got two 12" 350w subs in seperate boxes

and 2x360w amps on a diy amp rack

what ive done is link in series the two amps

amp 1 runs sub 1 and vice versa

my problem is both amps are getting power the main source being into amp 1 (i have used all existing amp kit wires that were pre installed) YET amp two and sub 2 are the only ones running (this has been looped with amp 1)

WTF have i done wrong lol

Chur

T1M0

When you say 'linked in series' I hope you dont mean that they are powered in series. Like so

Battery -------Amp1-------Amp2------Ground

Because that will be a problem.

You want

Battery -----Amp1-------Ground

Battery -----Amp2-------Ground

Each amp needs 12 volts.

If thats not what you mean and your referring to the rca cable not power cable, then forget what i said. lol

Guest lan_killa

is amp 1 powering up??? ie is it getting the remote signal running to it??? and actually turning on.... or does it just have 12V to it???

Im not sure what you mean by being run in series??? if it is truely in series then it wont work... needs to be parallel

also how does your rca wiring run?

Are they monoblock or 2ch amps?

Can you post a photo of the wiring?

Ammon666 said:

When you say 'linked in series' I hope you dont mean that they are powered in series. Like so

Battery -------Amp1-------Amp2------Ground

Because that will be a problem.

You want

Battery -----Amp1-------Ground

Battery -----Amp2-------Ground

Each amp needs 12 volts.

If thats not what you mean and your referring to the rca cable not power cable, then forget what i said. lol

what i mean is

amp 1 = all exisiting amp kit wires (ground power rca remote)

Amp2 = rcas from amp 1 output into amp 2 input (seperate ground) then single wires looped i mean doubled up in amp 1 then leading to amp to in a loop

have done this before many a time with any probs this is the 1st time its decided to be a B*

heres my lil pic lol excuse it i suck with painting pictures

14533_1283944335555_1138513879_840542_74

lan_killa said:

is amp 1 powering up??? ie is it getting the remote signal running to it??? and actually turning on.... or does it just have 12V to it???

Im not sure what you mean by being run in series??? if it is truely in series then it wont work... needs to be parallel

also how does your rca wiring run?

Are they monoblock or 2ch amps?

Can you post a photo of the wiring?

both amps are are powering up but only amp 2 is producing signal amp too is relying on amp 1 for this what i mean is i have connected amp 2's wires to amp 1 god this is hard to explain look at my pic for a rough indication lone wire is seperate ground

lan_killa said:

this:

2ampsub.JPG

lol yip that but with a seperate ground wire

chur someones artistic lol

both are getting power to them yet amp 2 is the only one running its designated sub

Guest lan_killa

the interesting thing youve noted is that both amps have thier own ground...

Alot of amps will actually get a groud from thier casing or even from the RCAs but normally the ground they receive is enough to make the amp appear to be powered on (ie lit up) but is not a sufficient enough ground to actually make any power....

My first check would be the ground on AMP 1, failing that check to see the RCAs are around the right way and that all switchs and trimpots are set correctly

Guest lan_killa
 liltim']

[quote name='lan_killa said:

this:

IMAGE HERE

/quote]

lol yip that but with a seperate ground wire

chur someones artistic lol

MSPaint FTW.... line tool, square tool, circle tool and text boxs

i've check wires and even swapped wires around to make amp 2 primary and same **** happens only one amp runs

so basically EG: amp 2 primary (kit connected to this) then Amp 1 therefore becomes primary even though is infact secondary

do you get what i mean by that ???

WTF is FTW

Guest lan_killa

FTW = for the win

can you confirm that both amps will actually run when used independantly??? ie the one not in use is not connected?

lan_killa said:

FTW = for the win

can you confirm that both amps will actually run when used independantly??? ie the one not in use is not connected?

YIP & YIP

Basically i give up he can go pay someone to fix it lol as i did it for nothing but out of the kindness of my lil heart :)

So they both work independently but not together in parallel, I'm guessing not enough power from the battery or the power wire cannot deliver enough juice. I would also suggest if not the case, that the ground from each amp goes to the exact same place on the car.

Ammon666 said:

So they both work independently but not together in parallel, I'm guessing not enough power from the battery or the power wire cannot deliver enough juice. I would also suggest if not the case, that the ground from each amp goes to the exact same place on the car.

yes seat belt mounting bolt (same as my bg5 with single 12")

yea just beyond me man and everytime i see him i only hear one going lol one of those things that will continue to bug me until its sorted

Guest lan_killa

actually..... what happens if you plug sub 1 into amp 2 and sub 2 into amp 1 is it possible the wire has come loose inside the sub box???? wouldnt be the first time its happened

lan_killa said:

actually..... what happens if you plug sub 1 into amp 2 and sub 2 into amp 1 is it possible the wire has come loose inside the sub box???? wouldnt be the first time its happened

1st thing i checked man

yea confusing aye how u think i felt doing it what turned out to be about a hours work resulted in nearly 5hours to the point i F*n gave up in a huff

DRFVDR said:

why not get a 2 ohm stable amp and run the 2 subs in series :) it is how I do mine :)

Assuming they are SVC 4ohm subs. If they are DVC 4ohm subs then you'd need a monoblock that is stable to 1 ohm

Mono's are ALWAYS (BOLD RED LARGE FONT) the best to run subs on.

ALWAYS!!!

Guest boostin

Don't loop the RCA's through. Get a couple of Y splitters and wire it that way. I've heard of pass through signal feeds doing weird things before.

I think you really should get a pro to check it out. Where abouts are you? There may be someone on here competent enough with sounds to check it out, or if not, an installer shop.

I don't quite understand how you are routing the cables. Are you using a splitter box for any of them?

Remote cables are fine to be daisy chained, but not power or ground.