Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Overheating

what is the little plastic cylinder on the front left of an EJ20? the top is connected to the radiator system and the bottom goes into the engine somehow.

Reason for askin is a few months ago the piping blew off the bottom, car overheaded as all the water was being blown out as steam. i had to replace it with a much longer pipe as i couldnt get the short one to fit due to space issues and gettin my hands in there.

Since then my car seems to be very hot. the gauge says its normal but you can feel the heat coming off the engine.

THis mornign my temp gague was going awol just worried that that cyclynder crapped out and it causing other issues.

I only have to add water one a month or so :(

head gasket cost lots to replace?

Soo much to do, need cambelt change, service and now this issue :S

On that note, what places do you guys reccommend on the shore or in auckland to do all this?

daleson said:

On that note, what places do you guys reccommend on the shore or in auckland to do all this?

if it is head gasket and you need to all that i recommend new engine my gasket was $2600 at subtech penrose cambelt ur looking at another $1000 so yeah might pay for new engine, but once a month sounds to long really for a head gasket

Hmm, well, if you look carefully you will see that that black canister isn't connected to the radiator or cooling system in any way.

You might want to recheck which hose you have going where. To reattach the short hose you pull that canister straight up and it comes out... no tools needed.

If you are loosing water you need to find where it's going to and whether it's the cause or the result of overheating.

If you have overheating you need to discover whether it is the result or the cause of water loss.

daleson said:

Michies on como st in Taka, Geoff knows subies inside out.

Also when you refilled with water did you bleed it properly to make sure you don't have any air traps?

(I think the way) To do it properly, make sure the engine is cold, remove the cap off the header tank (silver one in the photo), fill with water and run the engine whilst continually filling . As water gets pumped around the air will come out the open top.

the day it overheated i had to fillit then and there, i did have the engine running

Since then everytime i fill it i make sure the cars been off for a few hours and then do as you said,

car just did the mad overheat today after 4 days since it was filled

Fully think my engine is dying!

Found 94 EJ20H (i thinkit was an H) on trademe for $1250

65000+km on the clock and its apparenrtly just had a new cam belt and shit done.

Fresh import from Japan... Considering getting it eh.

Might be cheaper than to repair + service my current one..

If its head gasket then you'll (besides over heating) experience one or two or both symptoms.

1/ Water contamination in you oil (you may need to drain the sump to see) this will result in mayonnaise looking oil.

2/ Oil contamination in your coolant, although this is less likely.

When bleeding the air out try facing your car up a hill. This is a method that works for Gen1 Legacy's not sure about others.

You should get your thermostat and radiator checked before you condem your motor. If those are both good and it still overheats then you should get the water-pump LOOKED at AS/BEFORE they change the head gaskets, then change the head gaskets if there is nothing wrong with the water-pump. If the water-pump has no blades left then it would be worth putting a new one in and giving it a try before you finally do the gaskets.

The radiator has to be done if you do the head gaskets anyway so getting it done first is sensible. The thermostat is a small job and worth checking or replacing routinely anyway.

Always do the simple things first, especially when, as in this case, they are going to have to be done anyway.

feel free to mock!

but i had a look at the radiator cap... the top seal was mint, the pressure valve seal was FARKED

So i think it was leaking steam into my overflow which was venting out and draining my water.

Got a new cap today! see how it goes

Still have a real farkin hot engine, even tho the temp shows normal

Gonna get the radiator sytem flushed i think :)

Damn - started reading this thread and could see it coming. I had the same problem once. Pissed around replacing the radiator to no avail, then someone suggested the cap (which I stupidly hadn't thrown with the old radiator) only to find the pressure seal was had-it ... replaced the cap and all was fine.

well since ive replaced the cap, the temp gauge still spikes randomly when im in traffic / or boost

But after an hour of traffic jammed driving i check the engine, its nowhere as hot as it used to be. i think the thermostat / gauge is farked

Wait for it to heat up, feel your top radiator hose and then the bottom one,

Top hose hot and bottom hose warm = Thermostat open and functioning

Top hose cold and bottom hose cold = Thermostat failed

Bear in mind that coolant enters the engine at the bottom and out through the top hose and so the bottom hose will run a little cooler than the to hose.