Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

boost solanoid help

G-unit

1st off im only getting 8psi in my sti, thats wastegate pressure im thinking? have taken a few pics of how my stock boost control is setup does it look normal and wheres the hose from the small nipple that i have taken a pic of ment 2 be as there isnt 1 on it, the 1st pic the blue hose joins a black hose and is the 1 going 2 the turbo,even if someone had a pic of how it should be and i could go get some hose and have it as its ment 2 be,cheers

009-1.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

ive never looked at a sti 1 as my last 3 subbies were all legacys so im unsure if they are the same

Guest boostin
 G-unit said:

searched for solanoids but that never came up, thanks

Prob because its spelt solenoid.

Reset the ECU and see if your boost returns.

That nipple with no hose should go to the MAP sensor.

Make sure the restrictor pill is still in the line between the compressor housing and the tee.

That hose that is off as per your pic is meant to go to the map sensor, as per that yellow hose in the other post.

Some ppl take off the map Sensor hose to trick the ECU so that it never knows what boost its running.

Apparently this is OK to do. Just make sure the vac hose that was meant to go there is properly blocked off.

gazzy2000 said:

That hose that is off as per your pic is meant to go to the map sensor, as per that yellow hose in the other post.

Some ppl take off the map Sensor hose to trick the ECU so that it never knows what boost its running.

Apparently this is OK to do. Just make sure the vac hose that was meant to go there is properly blocked off.

Would that not screw with the ECU

i remember seeing someone post up about how their hose came off, and then boosting around they blew a BEB as the ecu wasn't fueling for boost... ???

Bazza-NZ']

[quote name='gazzy2000 said:

/quote]

would think so ???

Bazza-NZ']

/quote]

i remember seeing someone post up about how their hose came off, and then boosting around they blew a BEB as the ecu wasn't fueling for boost... ???

doesnt the ECU use the AFM for fuel ratio? this whould also do boost as it knows how much air is actually moving? ( question / thought. not sure )

-smurff

smurff']

/quote]

doesnt the ECU use the AFM for fuel ratio? this whould also do boost as it knows how much air is actually moving? ( question / thought. not sure )

-smurff

That was going to be my comment...

As far as i can see the map sensor only seems to be there to control the standard boost solenoid and the overboost cutout..

Stand to be corrected

Noticed the other day that mates RS rally car has this disconnected...

Bazza-NZ']

/quote]

yea, well they call it one of those "DIY mods".

Its no worse that using a MBC or boost tap as these simply by pass the factory ECU boost control system and the driver wud never know if the ECU was in safe mode (6-10PSI) due to an engine problem because the boost tap takes any control away from the factory boost sytem. It will just boost away engine problem or no engine problem bypassing any engine fail-safe-guarding.

From my experiance, the best way to tell the factory boost control is working.... put a LED light across the boost solenoid, run it into the cabin, mount it on the dash, reset ECU and see if its flashing under boost, if its not.... the ECU is more than likely in safe mode, which means wastegate pressure boost, ultra rich and no CELs.

If it boosts after a ECU reset (flashing LED) then stops working (no flashing LED), then the ECU is putting the car into Safe mode and you need to start trouble shooting from there.

Obvioulsy check all the plumbing first i.e. replace old vac hoses and clamps, check for restrictor pill etc.

Well i guess i learned something new today, it just doesn't seem right in my mind to not include the MAP sensor, to me it seems like a very important sensor, I'm not going to block my off just seems wrong... but i can't argue the point as i haven't really done and research / not knowlwable enough

all i know is that my car runs like shit with it unplugged so i just leave it as factory

It was me that had the hose pop off the pressure solenoid that feeds the map sensor, my car probably tried to disable the boost but as I was running an external boost controller it forced it to run 18psi while the ecu thought it wasn't boosting at all.

Causing it to lean out and run a bearing, turbo exhaust housing and exhaust valves well all white when I stripped the engine down.

So having it unplumbed is a very bad thing!!!

G-unit said:

1st off im only getting 8psi in my sti, thats wastegate pressure im thinking? have taken a few pics of how my stock boost control is setup does it look normal and wheres the hose from the small nipple that i have taken a pic of ment 2 be as there isnt 1 on it, the 1st pic the blue hose joins a black hose and is the 1 going 2 the turbo,even if someone had a pic of how it should be and i could go get some hose and have it as its ment 2 be,cheers

008.jpg

In this photo, you can see the vacuum hose is tucked behind the pressure solenoid (the one thats unplugged) just plug that hose back in and cable tie it back on

G-unit said:

ok cheers ill go put that hose on and see what happens, boost wont raise im piking tho?

boost shud go back to normal after a ECU reset, if not id be checking the plumbing and restrictor pill etc.

come back to us and let us know what you find, we can discuss it further from there

here ya go man, here is what i wrote for another CS member

A quick reset is un hook batt and turn ign on and press on brake pedal for like 20secs plus, this drains any residual power from ECU circuits.

The proper way is to > warm the car up > turn it off > plug in both diagnostic plugs green to green black to black > turn key on with engine off > press fully down on accerlerator hold for 5 secs > then let peddal back up to half and hold for 5 secs > go for drive for 2 mins keeping over 11KPH no boosting > engine light will conistantly flash if no codes > if there are codes it does the long on long off short short whatever to tell you the code.

Turn engine off > unplug connectors and your ECU is now reset.

Do this reset proceedure and if there is a code flashing take note of what it is, if there are no codes it will just contine to flash constantly about 1 sec apart.

Cheers