Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Engine stalling in neutral!!!

50Bait

Hey guys, i have recently bought a 2000 v7 wrx,

I am needing help with a problem that i have in the engine, I will be driving along sweet as, but as soon as i come to an intersection or put my foot on the clutch the Revs will drop and stall the engine,

Any idea what this could be? It is really annoying!

Cheers

Tony

ICV - Idle control valve perhaps? 50bait does your idle jump around when the motors cold too? if so I'd almost put money on it being your ICV, I had similar prob with mine a while back and ran a can of "Subaru upper engine cleaner" through it and she's been mint ever since, apparently you can just remove them and give them a good clean too but I found the can of stuff to work a treat.

Thanks for the help guys, I am running a Greddy BOV, I wil get that checked for any vacume leaks,

Its only when my foot is on the clutch it dies, if i use the throttle to keep them up it wont die, When cold it does not do it, Is that because of the automatic choke?

I will try the things you guys have suggested,

Thank You

Guest keltik
 50Bait said:

When cold it does not do it, Is that because of the automatic choke?

Essentially...yes.

Could be a broken neutral switch in the gearbox. Not exactly uncommon and pretty easy to test and fix.

Guest keltik

Unplug the connector on the gearbox and stick a circuit tester on it. Then get an assistant to put the car in gear and see if the switch opens/closes. If it only opens in reverse youve got the wrong switch, if it doesnt open at all then theres your problem.

Assuming the v7 is similar to the Legacys, there should be a 4pin plug just behind the bellhousing that goes to the neutral and reverse switches.

• 2 years later...

On the throttle body there should be a screw, as you undo it it provides a slightly later gap between 100% shut (stall) and open. Turn this screw when car is running and you will hear revs climb ever so slightly