Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Suspected Headgasket??

subleggtb said:

wasting time on what wiretap? Im no mechanic so how am i supposed to know if looking at the waterpump should take 3-4 hours or 2hours?

Youve spent a couple of days asking us to psychokinetically diagnose a problem with a car we've never seen, and when we say waterpump, you're reluctant to investigate the issue... We're here to help you, not tell you what you want to hear...

I haven't asked for anybody to diagnose the problem with my car, purely just advice from anyone whom may have faced similar issues with their cars. And with the waterpump issue, i have mentioned this all to the mechanic and he has investigated and seems to think it is ok. And as to the wasting of time, i dont consider any of this to be a waste of time as im not the mechanic so it is not as though im sitting here wasting time when i should be working on the car as i cant work on the car myself. I am on here trying to get advice which i can think about myself and relay to the mechanic if need be, so i consider this to be a very good use of my time. And yes, everybody so far has been extremely helpful which is much appreciated.

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

the spare pump i have is genuine and is in good nick especially compared to the one in the photo above /\ its yours if u want it.. pick up in west auckland.. box of export will suffice ;D

subleggtb said:

Im not to sure if waterpump needs to be changed Shale. The mechanic seems to think its ok, but then again he wouldnt be sure unless he was to take it out and have a look at it which he said would take about 3-4hours to do which results in that much labour expenses for me. He has just suggested that the o ring be replaced on the thermostat, connected back up, and the system bleed properly and filled with coolant and to try that for a few weeks and see if it still overheats.

Thats why you do the test I suggested first, 15 mins and you will know if your water pump has failed.....

CUDDAS said:

I have an engine with over heating issues at the moment, & have a new water pump & thermostat, Have removed the heater core from the equation by bypassing it with an un-restricted bend, radiator also.

& have replaced the heads & new head gaskets. (I think i have thrown out my good heads instead of the stuffed one's over time... :( as the new ones are very noisy tapping) they have been sitting for a few years too.

But I'm now removing the engine again to pull it apart (Completely) as i had an engine spun a sleeve in the block along time ago & did a couple of head gaskets one after the other then the cam tensioner bracket broke from the block :'(.

Thats the #1 sleeve in the pic that has spun

012-4.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

Has anyone seen a sleeve turn in the block before. Cos i'll be real pisst if i've got another one to re-sleeve.

holey cow i never seen that befor and i pull 20-25 blocks apart now :o

Took the car into the auto electrician today to check the CEL code etc, it came up with code 22 which is the knock sensor. He said about $140 to replace. Is this knock sensor a worry and need to be replaced? and at all related to the radiator overheating etc?

Also, car temp gauge not overheating any more, after a few open road drives, but there is a few bubbles etc in the overflow tank and also it smells like exhaust/gas fumes in there. Any ideas on what to do? i just wanna get to the bottom of all this.

cheers

yea think i will replace the knock sensor as dont want it running retarded.Any ideas on the smell of the radiator water in the overflow tank? i got told that if it does smell of exhaust/gas fumes then it is likely that it does have a blown head gasket? even though the Teekay tests didnt pick it up.

When my Legacy was making fuel smells in the water, blowing hot water out the over flow and twitching the temp gauge, it was blownburger. It showed so few other hard signs of a blown headgasket that as I said a page back, the HGs were intact ??? But it was still convinced it was going to stay lurking just under the red right before we ripped it out.

You may be just lucky at this point but I don't like your chances.

As you can tell...the ClubSUB attitude towards Subarus is "Blargh, this one is broken. Rip out anything that has a chance of being broken, assemble a new one and plop it in for added win!". So most of us in your situation would either build a new motor on the side for a swap, or park up and rip the current one out...overhaul ourselves, and throw back in.

Keep an eye on yours for the time being, if it's not overheating. Watch that temp gauge like a hawk. Watch how much (if any) water it consumes. Keep an eye on your oil - mine started consuming oil too when it was blown. Basic and annoying but a healthy engine leaves all these things alone.