Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

forester Phase1/2 or v3/4..v5/6

Guest itsgotgo

Guest itsgotgo

Hello clubsubbers :)

Just a thought of having a sticky topic of the sti upgrade differences between the 98/99/2000/2001 models of fozzys.

I have seen some confusion as of late over what fits what model.

Some people are getting muddles as to what they have,then buying upgrade goods and having to start again.

So if any one has photo,s of the two differing ecu,afm,suspension tophats...with or without.

I think it would be good to see this done,instead of people asking random questions,when they may have the wrong model.

Any how,if its already been done let me know,if not get heaps of pics and show the differences :)

Quoted from wikipedia

The name "forester" is meant to imply the vehicle is "of the forest"

I LOL'd ;D

Only problem with Wikipedia is it only touches the JDM models slightly and focuses more on the USDM ones...

This is definitely a good idea though, looks like the STI conversion thread is only relevant to the SF5A's. Would even go as far as saying that SF5B-SF5D are the same seeing Big_Dave's Foz is a D and he's done the upgrade that Bubblz is gonna do.

i dont think they sf5 a/b/c/d are the same...im thinking its the crossover peroid that matters like mines a 99 but first registered in october 99...i think they started changing to phase 2 motor around feb 99...note this is pure speculation from what ive been looking around...not gospel

sf5a...sf5b potentially[ anyone can confirm?]

has the coloured afm...my mates 97 foz had purple coloured afm...so would it be safe to assume phase 1 motors with coloured afm and phase 2 with insert type afm[generic turbo or non turbo afm] ?

Guest itsgotgo
 bubblz said:

sf5a...sf5b potentially[ anyone can confirm?]

has the coloured afm...my mates 97 foz had purple coloured afm...so would it be safe to assume phase 1 motors with coloured afm and phase 2 with insert type afm[generic turbo or non turbo afm] ?

Yes :)

bubblz said:

no wonder mine was a bitch to figure out!...lol especially since my vin says sf5b so that was what i was going off.

stoked i have phase 2 motor but confusing stuff really

sooo that means you run later (equivilent) v5/6 sti yellow injectors which are decappable.. and something you dont need to buy for the STI upgrade.

How you then do the STI upgrade is anyones guess.. as you have all the bits already minus the ecu and turbo. But if you put on the STI ecu - does it like the "insert" type AFM.. ???

Guest dcornie

not decapped. the compression on a foz is 8.0 and an sti is 9.0

yes on both it does

it will only run 8 psi on the factory solenoid but i am running 18 on an ebc

phase 2 cross over was slightly different across the model ranges

however most where during late 98

easiest way to tell is the bellhousing

Ph 1 = 4 bolt

Ph 2 = 8 bolt

Big_Dave said:

not decapped. the compression on a foz is 8.0 and an sti is 9.0

yes on both it does

it will only run 8 psi on the factory solenoid but i am running 18 on an ebc

arrr there we go - the compression is different.

Rick - is it just the phase 2 engines in the Fox that run low compression?

Guest itsgotgo
 funkytown']

[quote name='bubblz said:

no wonder mine was a bitch to figure out!...lol especially since my vin says sf5b so that was what i was going off.

stoked i have phase 2 motor but confusing stuff really

/quote]

sooo that means you run later (equivilent) v5/6 sti yellow injectors which are decappable.. and something you dont need to buy for the STI upgrade.

How you then do the STI upgrade is anyones guess.. as you have all the bits already minus the ecu and turbo. But if you put on the STI ecu - does it like the "insert" type AFM.. ???

So the phase 2 engine and system.....we need to find what or if any afm needs to be changed.

Good to see some progress :)

Guest itsgotgo
 bubblz said:

I THUOGHT IT WAS ALREADY ESTABLISHED THAT U DONT NEED TO CHANGE THE AFM ON PHASE 2 MOTORS? SINCE ITS ALREADY EITHER THE TURBO OR NON TURBO AFM?

SINCE DAVE IS OVER FUELLING..WHAT WOULD BE THE SOLUTION IN THIS SCENARIO?

Its ok you dont need to shout :D

Could be a shagged map sensor or a dodgy fuel regulator :)

If someone has chipped the ecu with a very heavy fuel map.

itsgotgo']

[quote name='bubblz said:

I THUOGHT IT WAS ALREADY ESTABLISHED THAT U DONT NEED TO CHANGE THE AFM ON PHASE 2 MOTORS? SINCE ITS ALREADY EITHER THE TURBO OR NON TURBO AFM?

SINCE DAVE IS OVER FUELLING..WHAT WOULD BE THE SOLUTION IN THIS SCENARIO?

/quote]

Its ok you dont need to shout :D

Could be a shagged map sensor or a dodgy fuel regulator :)

If someone has chipped the ecu with a very heavy fuel map.

if its running lower compression that will allow the car to advance the timing along way right.. I wonder if he has some A:F plots to show the over fueling. The STI ecu is likely tuned for 8.5:1 comp.