Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

FMIC??

nt_a_foz

I remember SPANKU had a prob with VTNZ and his fmic on the old forum.

What was the outcome, or well what are the rules??

Mate just went for a vtnz warrent (has passed with fmic many a time threre before) and hte dude failed him and said he needed a cert.

Iv had many a wof without a cert (i now have a cert as part of my adjustables)

are you actually meant to have one or not?

dubbedup said:

ok sure...airbag models exempt.

but if tyou look in the reg, im pretty sure it states 1996 as this is when frontal impact way became an issue, hence why you cannot get FD3s's on the road...atm

+1 on that 96 it is.

there are some impreza that has airbag since 95. e.g NZnew or EU version which has 260km/h speedo and red fog lights in the tail lights, comes in those SA version couch seat which is very comfie going up to auckland.

i dont really the point of a airbag ive seen two wrx that hit a bank really hard and the airbag didnt even deployed

and YES i still get my warrant from VTNZ ( if you remember once i was selling my car it had standard everything on it apart from the wheels )

SPANKU']

[quote name='dubbedup said:

ok sure...airbag models exempt.

but if tyou look in the reg, im pretty sure it states 1996 as this is when frontal impact way became an issue, hence why you cannot get FD3s's on the road...atm

/quote]

+1 on that 96 it is.

there are some impreza that has airbag since 95. e.g NZnew or EU version which has 260km/h speedo and red fog lights in the tail lights, comes in those SA version couch seat which is very comfie going up to auckland.

i dont really the point of a airbag ive seen two wrx that hit a bank really hard and the airbag didnt even deployed

where does the likes of my car fit in then being 97 but no airbags..

just remember that it is also the first owner option to put in airbags.

most or if all ver1-3 wrx dont have them and ver3 comes out in 96. if you look at the front cut of your car is how they can tell if its comply to a impact law.

my mate ( or ex mate ) had a frontal and got a new front cut on a ver2 but now have a ver3 front. car was dereg and when it go re-reg they noticed it right away that it was a different year. this car also had a airbag but then they know someone from subaru to just write a letter to state that it dont come with it

funkytown said:

qualify "all version 3's come out in 96".. it may be semantics but mine is registered as a 97 w/o airbags

In thinking the model year is MY96 ? rather than calender year

you wont have any problem with your funky. but be interest to see what they say about it

getting a cert is the best way to get away with things. worth the money IMO

Still doesnt really answer the question lol...

Airbag sensors are on the corners of chassis rails so shouldnt be a problem ...and as i said hes got plenty of vtnz wofs with front mount on his v5 sti before (with airbag) and then went to a different branch and got the big no

nt_a_foz said:

Airbag sensors are on the corners of chassis rails so shouldnt be a problem ...and as i said hes got plenty of vtnz wofs with front mount on his v5 sti before (with airbag) and then went to a different branch and got the big no

reminds me of Nicks car - went to VTNZ with the r888s on and they said fail. when clearly they are road legal - sometimes they are wrong.

Sometimes its illegal all the time unbeknowingly.. and finally gets picked up. What was the reasoning for cert required?

Its when you started cutting away the bumper iron/support that they don't like.

I think the theory is if you change the way the cars front impact zone it might change when the front airbag goes off.

Airbags are dangerous beasts ie they can cause serious injury so you don't want them going off in minor dings etc etc

Stoffa had an issue like this when getting a cert i believe.

my bumper iron isnt cut for some reason it came like that. it had no spotlight bracket also

their theory is like putting a bullbar infront of your car. so you have to hit a bank at higher speed to trigger the airbag sensor, that was the example they gave me

but stoffa's car isnt working!!! hehe jokes bro! ( i want my bonnet back )

just said fmic needs a cert .....

so yeah a bit of a iffy i guess depends who you take to..they all say a different thing

funkytown']

[quote name='nt_a_foz said:

/quote]

reminds me of Nicks car - went to VTNZ with the r888s on and they said fail. when clearly they are road legal - sometimes they are wrong.

Sometimes its illegal all the time unbeknowingly.. and finally gets picked up. What was the reasoning for cert required?

Guest boostcut

its to do with modern cars having a crumple zone and frontal impact laws prevent you from modifying the bumper, and thats not even the bumper iron behind it... i have read this in the virm before with my own eyes.

the cert guy then agrees that its safe and you have not modifyed the cars structural integrity and passes it if your not wearing a hoodie and baggy jeans waiting for your 20det cefiro to get certed on cut springs.

You'll prolly get some variation between VTNZ stations and individual certifiers around the interpretation of the rules for cutting

I'm going to fmic on my 89 rs leggy and the certifier said I would be ok if I did any cutting because it's pre 1996....and the frontal impact regs aren't applied so harshly to pre 1996 models.

I don't have a lot of cutting to do anyway just into the insides of the metal shrouding around the headlights

If you have a car that's post 1996, I'd get some advice from your certifier before u do any cutting.

• 2 months later...