Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Paint sanding + polishing: i r do dis rite?

Shale

So the mupptard that painted my car did a jolly good job of FAILING. The paint is orange-peeled, falling off and in hidden areas are completely oversprayed to the point of destroying cloths when washed.

I decided that, since Shale is appearing at a wedding on the weekend, I'd fix it. The result looks really good, but I really just want to make sure I'm going about it right (experts, input and criticism is warmly welcomed). Note car was cleaned before I started.

1) Bucket of water and fine grit sandpaper. Dunk the sandpaper to dampen it. Gently, in back-forth motions (given this is the door sill we are talking about), sand the very grainy surface away. Constantly wipe the dust away in paranoia to make sure I'm not going through too much paint!!

2) Once it feels relatively smooth, buff at it with cutting compound. Brand can't remember; it's a water cutting compound designed for hand-buffing. Cut it away until surface was quite shiny; removed all the teeny scratches left behind by the sh!tty sandpaper.

3) Firmly buff with Meguiars Ultimate Compound. At this point the paint is very, VERY shiny and apparently there is still clearcoat left.

4) Polish with Mothers Sealer/Glaze, then a layer of Mothers Pure Wax to protect the surface.

I considered a gentle wet sand a good option at this point because the car is getting repainted ANYWAY, but given the result it may not need it in that spot ;D

Any tips/tricks, or things I've missed out?

Will have photos when there is more light outside.

RAAAAAAAAGE.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get really good at this really quick-smart.

While I was parked up at Lan Killa's place, either someone has run into it with quite some force, or someone has deliberately keyed my car. There is now a massive gouge across the paint work, at least 8 inches long and from what I can tell, well through the clearcoat.

This wouldn't bother me if it was the end that is cracking, peeling and is going to get a respray.

No, this is on the DRIVER'S REAR QUARTER, which was lovingly repainted by the very talented RJ Smith & Davies as part of an insurance repair.

Guess who's happy?

NOT ME. >:(

So looks like I'll be trying to get the whole sanding et al thing under my belt so I can bloody start repainting what is going to now be the WHOLE F**KING CAR.

*rages*

Yep. I've got some of the worst out of it but there's still over 3 inches where they've dug through the clear, through the paint and into white stuff. REALLY stands out on a grey car eh :'(

Turtle wax. OMG YOU ARE A GENIUS! I just remembered I have a grey Chipstik somewhere - that grey waxy lipstick thing. It will do just fine for the day :D

Yeah, think there will be pictures of Shale with a bigarse white ribbon on his nose coming soon!