Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

external wastegate setup

im looking at installing a external wastegate on my 97 sti.

just wondering if installing it on the up pipe to the turbo is the correct place?cause you can also weld them were all 4 pipes meet up on the manfoild.also im running the vf23 turbo round 17 psi.do i need to weld the internal gate and remove the actuatr?

why is it easyr to plum it back?external sounds way better.nah no issues at all.has some spike issues thru 1st and 2nd but other than that its algood.its running 17psi standard with only a exhaust and pod filter,factory boost soleniod is hooked up too

lol external gate wins every time over internal.every one knows that.its easy to running a screamr pipe off the wastegate if it weldd on the up pipe.

my question was does it run better weldd on the up pipe on on the lower down manifold?

oh yeh i see now.thats a mint picture man shows me everything.aha.yeh in nz there iilegal but half of the police dont reali even know what it is.on for wof you just get a flange to bolt on over the gate

sti8u said:

have a watch of that and tell me what yu think .

do i have to weld up the internal gate.to stop it creeping open on boost

yellow car was quicker

sti8u said:

im looking at installing a external wastegate on my 97 sti.

just wondering if installing it on the up pipe to the turbo is the correct place?cause you can also weld them were all 4 pipes meet up on the manfoild.also im running the vf23 turbo round 17 psi.do i need to weld the internal gate and remove the actuatr?

is that you alex?? that works with cody nelson??

you can just put a tack weld on the internal wastegate arm to hold it closed, or make a bracket that replaces the stock actuator with a solid rod so it doesn't move.

If you mount the external to the 4 pipe coupler behind the front right wheel, youll have endless problems with cracks and leaking exhaust and fail your WOFs. Spend the extra time and minimal dollar and plumb it back under your turbo on the uppipe. Itll hold boost better and be legal. I speak from experience.

I spent untold hours rewelding and effing around with hear wrap to stop it cracking on the coupler.

DSC01781.jpg

DSC01780.jpg

BOTTOM PHOTO - Pipe on the right with the mouth open towards the camera is the down pipe. two 90s i think from the down pipe to the wastegate and wastegate mounted to the uppipe with a 1 inch straight on the 45 as per manufactorers spec. This is the optimal mounting config according to Turbosmart.

GNEDEF said:

Nice Swindog! :) so mounted on the up-pipe and plumbed into the downpipe. nice nice! but mind u...i've seen ALOT of subarus with gates welded on the drivers side exhaust manifold. still havnt seen any crack but im not the one to argue :-X

This is done because they dont have any skill, Its usually done on the cheap & theyre only interested in the noise & not boost control. :)

& Swindog that is nice mate 8) & one day when i get my life on track & aspire to something good i'll plumb mine back in similar to that too ;)

lol haha na man there ways off keeping the gas and heat out of the engine bay.heat wrap and using your brain.

all my i wantd to know was were is the best place to weld the external gate

I had stainless headers though so that probably didnt help the cause.

Up to you though sti8u... whether you wanna keep passing wofs, as eventually youll need to plumb it back. Someone will pick it up whether it be wof techs or police.

AND no more stories of illegal street racing on here or you shell receive the ban hammer

yeh i understand that its iilegall.thats doesnt really worry me to much.as for wofs a blanking plate will do the trick as iv used it b4 on other cars of mine.cheeers il be looking to weld on the up pipe and use some nice heat wrap

monolith said:

This new forum weirds me out - I know STI8U as wrxjim/Jamie... haha!

I don't have anything useful to add, apart from that I agree with Koom's wise words re: the douchebaggery. HTH

haha

We know that's not the original sti8u but you sound like the one and only monolith.

Welcome back.

:D

sti8u said:

yeh i understand that its iilegall.thats doesnt really worry me to much.as for wofs a blanking plate will do the trick as iv used it b4 on other cars of mine.cheeers il be looking to weld on the up pipe and use some nice heat wrap

even after your dodgy wof's, once you're green stickered, i wonder if your attitude will change once the inspector free boosts your turbo to oblivion on a road test. if i noticed that on a green sticker inspection, i would.

• Haha 1