• Current Donation Goals

WREX

General driving - 2007 Subaru S-GT

5 posts in this topic

Hiya all, very noob question as I just picked up my first turbo vehicle. On my old NA Impreza I used to cruise in 4TH at 50 and hover on 2000rpm. My new one is an 07 Impreza (WRX?) S-GT hatchback. Whats the best way to drive it should I keep it above 2000? I know not to lug the engine, don't boost when it's cold etc. Don't even have an owner's manual which is great. If I am boosting is it better to hit 4000-6000rpm before shifting etc?

Sorry for the stupid questions,

Cheers.

1 person likes this

I've got a '08 S-GT manual, I always drive in 3rd in town unless the engine is fully warmed up. If you're just cruising you can have the rpms as low as you like, just if you need power you'll have to change down (obviously). As for boosting, it depends on the situation how much you rev it before changes. Hopefully this is helpful, stupid questions are fine - just watch out for stupid answers. 

2 people like this

Very helpful, puts my mind at ease. Thank you! 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, scratch said:

Hopefully this is helpful, stupid questions are fine - just watch out for stupid answers. 

LOL so true, the internet is full of those :)

to add a note on that, the above about cruising only applies if your car is factory tuned or tuned well by someone who knows what they doing. if it has been aftermarket tuned you may wish to log some air fuel ratios or have someone look at the map. there are cases where people will tune only for WOT (wide open throttle) driving and neglect those low rev cruising situations

also welcome to the forums / the club and throw up some pics of the car when you got a chance.

1 person likes this

I'll chuck some pics up tomorrow when I get back from work, it's factory spec to my knowledge, I'll contact the dealership to verify as I am the first NZ owner. Thanks for all the help!