Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Installing an aftermarket intake, how?

Well i finally got around to getting an intake for the Legacy BH GTB. Ive got a Zerosports filter and metal intake arm. Now im not overly confident on doing this. Although ive done it before on other cars ive owned. I had a brief look under the bonnet and it looks like its a little tricky. Are there any write ups on how to get the stock intake out or is it easy?

Thanks

William

screw driver, 2x10mm spanner and 12mm socket with long extension for removing air box.

remove intake pipe from engine with afm/airbox lid (dont forget to unplug AFM)

Undo AFM from airbox lid and intake pipe from AFM.

Put pod filter onto AFM. (get tricky with the bell mouth intake part and getting the screws to line up) dont forget to put the support stand on one of the bolts.

Take off bottom off airbox from car.

Install zerosports pipe and pod filter, line up support stand with the hole from the airbox. re use 12mm bolt.

You might need to play around getting it to sit right.

tigher and double check all bolts. DOnt forget to re-plug AFM in.

D-Style said:

screw driver, 2x10mm spanner and 12mm socket with long extension for removing air box.

remove intake pipe from engine with afm/airbox lid (dont forget to unplug AFM)

Undo AFM from airbox lid and intake pipe from AFM.

Put pod filter onto AFM. (get tricky with the bell mouth intake part and getting the screws to line up) dont forget to put the support stand on one of the bolts.

Take off bottom off airbox from car.

Install zerosports pipe and pod filter, line up support stand with the hole from the airbox. re use 12mm bolt.

You might need to play around getting it to sit right.

tigher and double check all bolts. DOnt forget to re-plug AFM in.

Thanks heaps mate, thats really helpful. I dont have a support stand, but it should be ok, i dont think it will jump around.

After a closer inspection, i found while the pipe is ZS, the filter is something else i think. Its actually metal mesh instead of material.

Picture of a filter which is the same -

partsautotoyama-img600x450-1236398422zeg

I dont know how that rates, but i will give it a go. If i dont like it, i will just change it to a apexi one.

You will need to make a up a support of some sort, as it WILL jump around and may damage you AFM. Just go to bunnings, buy a length of flat alloy bar for like $10, a drill and vice/ or knee to bend it with.......

The zerosports one is a stainless mesh type filter as will. I ended up taking my one off after a while as it doesnt filter much dirt out. Replace the factory airbox and just kept the intake pipe, with a CAI and fram paper filter.

ahhh.. the Zero/Sports Super Direct Flow Kit! nice bit of kit you got there Big Willie!

yeah all ya need is a flat-tip screw driver for the silicone hose clamps, 12mm Rachet with long extension and a 10mm for the snorkel.. what also should of been included with this kit is a Zero/Sports support brace/bracket to help ya POD and the AFM from moving around during driving or going over bumps etc..

as you can see here, this is what i got.. 8)

DSC06963.jpg

NOTICE the green support bracket is in place where the existing airbox use to be.. theres two 12mm bolts that adhere the factory airbox to the chassis.. keep one of the 12mm bolts somewhere safe if you want to resort back to the factory airbox.. you'll just only utilise one of the bolts to bolt up the bracket, the rest is just a bit of twisting and turning, and just fitting it piece by piece.. if you want a detailed writeup i can do one for ya if ya get stuck??

I myself have resorted back to the factory airbox as once i placed on da POD, i lost a bit of response and was sucking in hot engine air which was not cool.. though the pros of the POD, you get a mean az induction sound and you can hear ya factory BOV much more clearly! if i got a custom airbox made up and a decent CAI feed, then i might return back to the Zero/Sports POD ;)

Chris 8)

Thanks guys, maybe i might just put the piping on and get a apexi pod new which comes with the brace. Then i can sell the metal intake i got.

I hope i dont loose response, i thought i might gain some. ive heard they are quite good. I wouldnt mind getting the Beat air intake that had a box around it. But i cant afford it just yet. Im looking forward to some induction noise.

Thanks so much guys.

I got home from work tonight with only an hour of sunlight. I found a metal support brace in the bottom of the box with the intake ;D. It was actually quite a big job for me, lots of mucking around and i never seem to have the right tools, but i managed to get it all done tonight. Took me a good 2 and half hours. Lots of fiddley work, and i made several mistakes that made me have to take it apart a few times. Mine looks exactly like how MINTGTB has his in the pic above and i mounted the brace the same way too.

One question, the lines mounted on top of the old airbox are now just suspended above the new intake, is that ok?

After taking it for a quick drive, i can feel the difference, especially in the area of VOD which i think feels reduced. However, the metal intake is a bit raspy. Its a Blitz brand one, would a material one like an Apexi be a bit more gruntier/deeper?

Interesting to hear the BOV.

Pics up tomorrow evening! ;D

Rugged_RS said:

lol, yeah mines dirrty.. how should i clean it?

A nice wet rag should do the trick.

Well I have reset the ECU and today I took the car for a beach drive. The intake sounds great, although if I lift off at about 4500rpm is almost sounds a bit like compressor surge of the turbo followed by the sound of the BOV!

??? ??? ???I have another problem, which I might make another post for. This morning the car started fine, but later on in the day, after a drive, the car took quite a bit to start. Like I was turning the key and it took about 5 seconds to start. First time its ever done anything like that. I got home and turned off the key, turned it back on, and it started fine. I tightened the battery terminals incase I had caused them to become loose. Have I mucked something up? ??? ??? ???

BigWillieStyles']

[quote name='Rugged_RS said:

/quote]

Well I have reset the ECU and today I took the car for a beach drive. The intake sounds great, although if I lift off at about 4500rpm is almost sounds a bit like compressor surge of the turbo followed by the sound of the BOV!

??? ??? ???I have another problem, which I might make another post for. This morning the car started fine, but later on in the day, after a drive, the car took quite a bit to start. Like I was turning the key and it took about 5 seconds to start. First time its ever done anything like that. I got home and turned off the key, turned it back on, and it started fine. I tightened the battery terminals incase I had caused them to become loose. Have I mucked something up? ??? ??? ???

The car started fine tonight, maybe I flooded it yesterday.

BigWillieStyles']

/quote]

Or maybe the engines getting used to a new healthy set of lungs ;) great job

gen11990']

/quote]

Or maybe the engines getting used to a new healthy set of lungs ;) great job

Or Possibly its the start of the POD filter/AFM woes ???

The AFM's hate POD filters, as you probably know. Especially the orange stickered ones...

I have been through 2 in a year and a half so the factory box went back on. At a few hundred each for a second hand one the better response, reduced VOD and better sound aint worth it.

Just giving ya the heads up mate, its certainly looks the biz tho!

GTBoy said:

Or Possibly its the start of the POD filter/AFM woes ???

The AFM's hate POD filters, as you probably know.

Maybe a bit early for it, but the BH/BE hates poddies...

The biggest two reasons are:

a) vibration

b) crud getting through the poos filter (its been shown that the factory filter filters better and flows healthier)

Ps the AFM for the BH/BE was round the $180 a piece 3 years ago, no doubt its dearer now...

Well its been starting fine since. I'm hoping it was just getting used to the new lungs, it was the first time I drove it since resetting the ECU. I might end up putting the factory box back in and just leaving the ZS piping in. But for the moment it feels great. Although, I think that an Apexi filter would be a better choice for sound though. My current one is a metal Blitz one and sounds like an old man wheezing in the engine bay.