Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gas Gas gas Gas

i know you are all 98/96 converts but still does it quite remain the fact that these cars of ours (presumably all subarus since we belong to such a forum & club) are better run on higher octane fuel?

sure, its best for them, but whats the worse that can possibly happen when running on (some would say 'grubby') 91 octane from BP/Shell/Mobil/Caltex/Gull?

will our cars inevitably explode or implode or will they run just fine? petrol is petrol is it not? or is it?

keen to discuss civilly, fire away.

i was a BP Ultimate fan for many years until petrol started skyrocketing, now its like hmmm ill fill it but makes it wonder....

Run it on 91, listen to it Det away as you load it up and eventually melt or crack pistons/run big end bearings.

If you actually do the maths, as the petrol prices increase but the difference between grades staying at a similar level, 98 becomes proportionally cheaper to run.

this is discussed alot already, did you do a search?

its fine to run 91 and trash your car if you have a spare motor to drop in when you do ur BEB

98 is the stuff you need to run.

-smurff

i believe 95 is the stated lowest octane by subaru. Going below this risks premature detonation occurring, (fuel explodes via compression before the spark plug demands it too) thus causing some chaos. Not good.

There was a debate about this on another post b4, some guys run 91 in their turb'd legacy's, but i dont see the point of risking it. The minor extra cost is worth it. Plus the small power gain :D

R.D said:

There was a debate about this on another post b4, some guys run 91 in their turb'd legacy's, but i dont see the point of risking it. The minor extra cost is worth it. Plus the small power gain :D

The main advocate of running 91 had neglected to mention that he had a Link tuned to run 91 ::)

so why in NZ do we have such low octane fuel compared with say japan or elsewhere in the world?

since we have so many jap imports, should we not have higher octane on tap more so in NZ. I remember for many years it was seen as a 'racing' or pureists premium petrol?

you dont need to tell me its not good to run on 91 but I was just opening it up again for discussion & for others to possibly realise the error or their ways

Guest keltik

NZ has lower quality fuel because up untill recently, most of the cronky 80s 2nd hand non turbo jap imports would run on 91 just fine. In the UK 95 is the crap stuff and most people will fill up with 98. If youve got a turbo car or something special you'd put 101 in it.

Guest keltik

USA uses MON. We use RON. 91MON = about 95RON if i remember rightly. UK uses RON also so they really do have 101 at the pumps in most cities

so thats why all my pommy mates are like "wot? 91? wots dis shit then?"

I see so thats how the MON-RON works out to be....I always wondered about what 91 MON equated too as I knew it had to be higher over here but not sure if it was up at 98.

will we see a rise in the octane in NZ over the next 10-20 years (if we still have petrol and arent forced into battery pack tonkas)

I can get it from the local airfield if I want it & used to get it from Kumeu BP when taking the KX125 out to woodhill for a kick around...good times...i digress

yea BP Ultimate all the way with me. what is yours guys pref for petrol station & why?

mines BP, you got a choice cafe and most of their station pumps are not on fucking prepay

i use BP's 98, in my subby and my commy.

the ardmore airport does Av gas, but not filled into your car, have to be into the approved container

-smurff

i was a mobil fan, but moved house and bp is right across the road from he end of my street. so they win :)

didnt notice any difference between mobil and bp 98

-smurff

Guest keltik

Caltex till i die. Car runs fine on 96 and all of their stations seem to be clean and well presented unlike Shell

The one in Palmy also has the worlds best carwash

the smell of av gas is good (even though I dont condone sniffing gas, it is worth a whiff, a little one)

im a bp fan, mainly due to the aa rewards and they are pretty well everywhere. caltex is close second, but mainly due to them being just down the road, but BP has my vote all the way. they also stock hubbards muesli exclusively in their stores, which agrees with me most wholeheartedly

anyone had any of your local gas stations with leaky storage tanks? the local caltex had water in their tanks and where we used to get our diesels filled up for the farm, had tons of water in their tanks. we are talking rural here guys

never had water issue, but you can put a bit of meths(IIRC) in your cars tank with a full tank of gas, absorbs water and will make it flammable enough to burn in your engine.

-smurff

now thats a trick I never knew of! had heard of the egg in the leaking radiator (I cant wait to try it on an old radiator) but never the meths soak up water trick!