Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car won't start - Urgent help

My 98 wrx has packed a sad.

Had been driving along fine, then she came to a grinding holt this morning. ie she wanted to stop, and slowly did.

When the key is turned on all the dash light come on. The airbag light does its thing. (so assuming battery all good etc) But when I go to start it, the start motor wants to go but nothing happens. Like it locks up. So i'm think immobiliser. The alarm makes a funny noise (not a normal alarm chirp but a low battery powered 'hoot').

Which makes me think its the immobiliser thats stuck on. I don't know the brand of alarm, and its all black wiring. Tho there are mongoose stickers on the windows - so its a good bet. Tho the images of mongoose alarms on the net don't have the same siren or remotes... so it could be anything really.

Is there some way to disconnect, reset or ???? the immobiliser.

Not entirely sure the alarm is the actual probably, but the fact it still unlocks/locks the door, ie operating as normal, and is making the funny hoot noise when i want to start the car - it my first option to fix.

Any one got any ideas??

I have a similar problem with my alarm/immobiliser on my AVS S5, ive put it down to a wire on the battery terminal but not sure which one. The alarm unlocks/locks fine, and everything up until starter motor works like you, stereo works etc, but it just "clicks" when i turn the key. I pop the bonner, wiggle the positive terminal, it sometimes sparks sometimes just seems like nothing, then i turn the key again and bam it starts. Might be an idea to check the same on yours? Also - post a pic of your alarm fob someone might be able to identify it and help from there?

runrabbit said:

Had the negative terminal off all night (to reset ecu). This morning it all most ticked over once. But no joy. Now just sits there ticking when trying to start. Almost like a flat battery - but all other electrics are going.

Images of alarm here.

http://img146.imageshack.us/i/dscf0706l.jpg/

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/dscf0704i.jpg/

so i have assumed you've tried another battery (a known good one)

when you are turning it over get someone to tap the starter with a bar/pole brothers mates car did this and shit starter was fooked and just sat there ticking and a top with a pole just made that connection needed by a jolt, it wont be the imob as the starter is ticking so the power is getting to the starter,

Drunkenmonkey said:

when you are turning it over get someone to tap the starter with a bar/pole brothers mates car did this and **** starter was fooked and just sat there ticking and a top with a pole just made that connection needed by a jolt, it wont be the imob as the starter is ticking so the power is getting to the starter,

Would rooted starter motor cause car come to slow stop whilest driving?

yeah i was thinking fuel pump 2 coz thats happened to me before. was fine 1 day day then went to start it the next morning and just kept turning over. 700 bux later(tow truck from chch to invercargill) and all it took was a clean up of the plug under the seat. had the shagged alternator problem in another car 2 so id agree and go that way not the alarm

Cheers for the replies.

Dash lights are all good when trying to turn it over. Radio still goes. Etc.

Its like the starter is jammed, or the engine is seized - eek. Maybe the alarm was a red herring, but she's definitely not a happy motor car.

Cheers Old Wert for the alarm type.

Will try tapping the starter, as I've heard of that before. But should it have destroyed itself whilst driving??

I think it'll have to be towed to the mechanics tomorrow. :(

It does sound starter related, but why would it stop the car? Unless its created a electrical short in the starter solenoid or something like that?

When the starter on my Forester crapped out it made a continuous clicking noise. Have you tried roll starting in 2nd gear, or even jump starting?

Guest boostin

If the battery is definitely good, then you either have a bung starter or the engine is seized. Put a spanner on the front crank bolt and see if you can turn the engine by hand.

ha - cambelt hadn't been done yet - car just shy of 110km.

Just towed it to the mechanics and they think it could be cambelt at first guess?

Anyone know the approx cost? Guessing it depends on any other damage that occured at the time.