Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2004 BP5 legacy sat nav

I've got a japanese import BP5 legacy, and I'm wondering if the sat nav unit is useful for anything? And if so how I operate it...

Through randomly mashing buttons I've managed to find that it seems to have an AV input, does anywhere know how/where I plug stuff into it?

It also seems to have a TV, but I couldn't figure out how to tune it to NZ frequencies, does Japan operate on a different TV frequency band and is it therefore impossible to tune to NZ?

Can it play DVD's?

Can I update the software/firmware so that it's in English!?

Any help you guys can provide in helping me use the damn thing is greatly appreciated, or if you know a place in Chch that I can take it to get the software/firmware updated to English, or can show me how to use it then that would be great.

Cheers,

Dan

worst thing it could do is catch fire and shoot flaming fragments of the disc at you in an attempt to kill you.

(video it if this happens :) )

-smurff

Thanks guys. I'll try a DVD in the 6 disc changer. I guess if I want to keep the factory screen etc in place I need to find a factory jap import DVD player that will plug into the screen and sit in the glove box?

Does anyone know how to stop the really annoying beeping coming from the sat nav unit, and to stop the car from beeping when I put it in reverse, or leave the door open with the key in the car?

... damn car beeps at everything :(

Cheers,

Dan

danj said:

Thanks guys. I'll try a DVD in the 6 disc changer. I guess if I want to keep the factory screen etc in place I need to find a factory jap import DVD player that will plug into the screen and sit in the glove box?

Does anyone know how to stop the really annoying beeping coming from the sat nav unit, and to stop the car from beeping when I put it in reverse, or leave the door open with the key in the car?

... damn car beeps at everything :(

Cheers,

Dan

On the setup menu there are four buttons that you can toggle on and off. One of them is for the beeping. If you can't find it I can look at mine and give detailed instructions, but it wasn't that hard to find.

although ours might be different as mine has a DVD player.

Thanks Treecrusher, I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

I was having a play around earlier and figured out how to switch from widescreen to 4:3 ratios etc on the screen, not very useful since I can't tune the TV and have no DVD player!

Is the nav unit located underneath the front passengers seat on your car Treecrusher? I found a unit there labelled 'nav', it has AV inputs, so I'm thinking I can possibly plug a DVD player into that?

danj said:

Thanks Treecrusher, I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

I was having a play around earlier and figured out how to switch from widescreen to 4:3 ratios etc on the screen, not very useful since I can't tune the TV and have no DVD player!

Is the nav unit located underneath the front passengers seat on your car Treecrusher? I found a unit there labelled 'nav', it has AV inputs, so I'm thinking I can possibly plug a DVD player into that?

Na, mine has a DVD player in the glove box and noting under the seat.

Although there are two plugs not connected to anything under the seat so there may have been something there once.

Can you take your screen out and tell me the model number on the top of it? The plastic surround just pops of and then there are two screws holding the screen in place. Once you undo the screws the screen is still held by two pop off connectors, so just pull and it will come out.

Let me know.

Treecrusher said:

On the setup menu there are four buttons that you can toggle on and off. One of them is for the beeping.

I've got an 03 BPE Outback, there are two screens on mine of 'features' you can turn on and off, it's a little scary as I have no idea what some of them could possibly be from the Icon. Do you have the screen with the right hand Icon showing 3 time options? I think they are 30s, 60s and 90s or something like that, I can't work out what they do.

Mine in the Kenwood with the DVD in the glovebox.

KonKon']

[quote name='Treecrusher said:

On the setup menu there are four buttons that you can toggle on and off. One of them is for the beeping.

/quote]

I've got an 03 BPE Outback, there are two screens on mine of 'features' you can turn on and off, it's a little scary as I have no idea what some of them could possibly be from the Icon. Do you have the screen with the right hand Icon showing 3 time options? I think they are 30s, 60s and 90s or something like that, I can't work out what they do.

Mine in the Kenwood with the DVD in the glovebox.

I was able to figure out the different settings by doing a basic symbol reading from http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/ combined with a few hours of sitting in the car waiting for the girlfriend throughout a few weeks. If you have the same unit as I do (under the driver's seat), it will play region-free DVDs fine (mine is not connected to the main stereo, so I just don't use it).

There's also options to enable/disable:

• turning on monitor with reverse camera input selected upon engaging reverse
  • TV tuner
  • DVD
  • Aux-in
  • Sat Nav (never worked for me, probably because I don't have any discs)

Once I get my car back (it's in the shop from today till Thursday to fix an incautious driver's close contact to the rear passenger panels), I'll try and take a few screenshots with some arrows pointing to the bits above.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my unit has Panasonic written on it.

Car stereo is the 6-disc + MD slot GX201JE (Kenwood?), though.

hi guys, starting to lose all hope of finding a satisfactory, yet affordable answer. i am starting to thing about following keltiks example and going the carputer route. not the cheapest answer but if i'm going to spend money it might as well be on something useful. ideally i could do with ripping it all out and setting it up on a bench to work out whats what, but i doubt i'll get that one past the wife so i'll have to do it in stages.

does anyone know how to remove the screen? and the nav unit in the glove box? i could go and spend an hour in the car undoing everything until it falls out but if someone has already done it, it may save me some time.

cheers,

phil

Guest boostin

The surround and air vents just pop off. The clips are reasonably strong though, so a little force is needed.

thanks boost, just been out playing. managed to get the glovebox out, but in looks like the black trim panel to the left of the radio/heater control assy needs to come out to do it properly, do you think thats correct? or have i missed something

phil

I've taken photo's of all the main screens and I'm going to get a Japanese mate to translate for me. I tired a couple of Japanese girls I know but it's technical Japnese/English so that didn't work out, my other mate is fluent but again it's technical Kanji. Non the less I'm on a mission and will post the results soon.

• 5 months later...
 rafaelmagu said:

I was able to figure out the different settings by doing a basic symbol reading from http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/ combined with a few hours of sitting in the car waiting for the girlfriend throughout a few weeks. If you have the same unit as I do (under the driver's seat), it will play region-free DVDs fine (mine is not connected to the main stereo, so I just don't use it).

• TV tuner
  • DVD
  • Aux-in

Once I get my car back (it's in the shop from today till Thursday to fix an incautious driver's close contact to the rear passenger panels), I'll try and take a few screenshots with some arrows pointing to the bits above.

Hi mate I have the exact same system in my 3.0R sedan... any chance you could email me the pictures with your interpretations? Been struggling to figure it for a couple of weeks :-[

Cheers

albarlousta']

[quote name='rafaelmagu said:

I was able to figure out the different settings by doing a basic symbol reading from url]http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/[/url] combined with a few hours of sitting in the car waiting for the girlfriend throughout a few weeks. If you have the same unit as I do (under the driver's seat), it will play region-free DVDs fine (mine is not connected to the main stereo, so I just don't use it).

• TV tuner
  • DVD
  • Aux-in

Hi mate I have the exact same system in my 3.0R sedan... any chance you could email me the pictures with your interpretations? Been struggling to figure it for a couple of weeks :-[

Cheers

same!

• 8 months later...

Mine's in the glove box and is a kenwood system I think, 2003 2.0R legacy.

Where could I get a copy of a NZ disc to try?

I have the Japanese disc too, but no hope of translating it.

Also I can't change the time to NZ time either, it always flips back to 3 hours earlier.