Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Opt-out of public access to your details via the Motor Vehicle Register

Just came across this on Club VR-4 and thought some of you might want to use it....

Might be a good idea so that people can't see your car driving around town, then go to the post office to see where it's parked at night.

Details: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/information.html

Online form: https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/PersonalInfoAccess/entry.aspx

Provisions exist for a registered owner to request a confidential listing where there is a threat to their personal safety and security. A confidential listing means that your name and address is withheld and is not available publicly to any member of the public who requests it. The criteria for being granted a confidential listing is high and the threat to your personal safety and security needs to be a real threat rather than a perceived threat nor can a confidential listing be granted simply because you do not wish your name and address to be available publicly.

MercuryFree said:

Provisions exist for a registered owner to request a confidential listing where there is a threat to their personal safety and security. A confidential listing means that your name and address is withheld and is not available publicly to any member of the public who requests it. The criteria for being granted a confidential listing is high and the threat to your personal safety and security needs to be a real threat rather than a perceived threat nor can a confidential listing be granted simply because you do not wish your name and address to be available publicly.

Have a click on the first link ,mate...

The law she is a changing...

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/information-law-changes.html

The new law will permit the release of personal information for the following purposes:

* enforcement of the law

* maintenance of the security of New Zealand

* collection of charges imposed or authorised by an enactment; and

* the administration and development of transport law and policy.

Anyone who wishes to obtain names and addresses held on the Motor Vehicle Register outside of these purposes will have to make an Official Information Act request to the NZTA. The NZTA, when considering an Official Information request for names and addresses held on the Motor Vehicle Register must weigh up the public interest in releasing the information sought against the privacy rights of the person concerned. To assist the NZTA to understand the public interest benefits of releasing the information, applicants may wish (but are not obliged) to advise the NZTA of the purpose for which they are seeking the information,

Alternatively any person may seek a special 'authorisation' from the Secretary for Transport .

As a further protection, if you do not wish your name and address to be released to a person who has been granted an authorisation from the Secretary for Transport you may ask for your details to be withheld. This is called 'opting-out'.

Names of companies or other corporate bodies will continue to be publicly available.

MercuryFree']

[quote name='subieboy said:

/quote]

Hah, I did and read "2010" as "2009" thought 'damned government agency lack of updates' and then managed to misread as a result. My bad

Time for bed methinks :-[

;D

MercuryFree']

[quote name='subieboy said:

/quote]

Hah, I did and read "2010" as "2009" thought 'damned government agency lack of updates' and then managed to misread as a result. My bad

Time for more beer methinks :-[

Yeah, heaps of people may have it registered to your home address, say your away from home at uni. Then its not much use i suppose. but i support the idea, guna do mine now

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
 Drunkenmonkey said:

have always been able to get rego details had a hit and run on my miss's went to post shop $2.20 and 30 odd kms later i was confronting the guy...

Yes Ive done that too..

Also if you are wanting to track down one of your old cars or a car you want to buy I use the that.

In fact ive brought a few cars that way.

Apparently the law change isn't the big deal its being cracked up to be - its supposed to make it tougher for people/businesses to get authorisation for acquiring details than it is at the moment. The opt-out thing is good though, just done it.