Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

More wires than a telephone exchange...

matt1710

Have just been offered a Pioneer FH-P007MD headunit to replace my ailing McIntosh HU - even though I'm not sure that the HU is the guilty party in the situation - see my post entitled 'McIntosh system : sporadic operation' for more details. Anyway, the Pioneer HU has something called a 'Beat-Sonic SLA-90' attached to it - some kind of wiring loom adapter, I assume? I checked the Beat Sonic website - seems to be designed for a 2001 Lexus IS-300 - which my Legacy isn't. Anyone know anything about such a device?

Anyway, in order to get this HU into the Legacy, I'm going to have to make some connections. The cables coming out of the HU are all labelled (front left, front r etc) and terminate at an 18 pin male plug. There are push together transparent connections between the 18 pin plug and the rear of the HU. Should I just disconnect all those transparent connectors, and connect the appropriate cables from the factory amp to them?? Or should I remove the plug from the rear of the HU and try and find a loom that will connect the HU to the plug on the end of the loom running from the McIntosh amp?? Something tells me that will be impossible...

Also, there are two RCA inputs on the rear of the HU (R, L) - I assume I can plug an iPod cable into this and use my iPod as an input?

There's also a strange blue/violet male plug on the rear of the HU - 10 skinny pins and 1 thick central one. What's that for?

Thanks in advance....

Matt the ICE chump.

Theres a few topics on here regarding the macintosh system if I may direct you to the search button.

In regards to the thing connected to the HU, is it wired in? if so I'd remove it as its most likely something you wont be needing.

The reason I said use the search is from memory you can have problems with the factory amp.

I just googled the Beat-Sonic SLA-90 and I'd definately be removing it. It looks like its there as an adapter and most likely to retain remote controlls or functions that the factory HU had.

I think you've already seen the thread I did for connecting an aftermarkt headunit in, and how it bypasses the factory amp for the front speakers?

Go to Repco and get a Subaru loom adaptor which will save you hacking at any factory plugs. I don't know what the other things you have are, maybe post some pics and model numbers?

Yes, I have seen that thread and fully intend to rely heavily on it when I' feel brave enough to have a crack - which should be soon given that I have no sounds 95% of the time.

Re the Subaru loom adapter from Repco - I assume I need a loom with a Subaru DIN on one end, and the appropriate Pioneer plug (for the HU) on the other? Or will I just have to get a loom with a Subaru DIN on one end, and then a whole bunch of male 'push in' connectors to plug into the female connectors that will be on the end of the HU cable?

I have some pics but am not sure how to upload them. I tried with the 'insert image' button and it just put in some tags - I tried dragging the images onto the post, but they didn't upload. Had a look at the help sections - seems to suggest that you can only link to images already uploaded to another site - is this right?

Thanks for your help so far!

Pioneer HU : FH-P007MD

Not sure on McIntosh HU, amp and stacker - all in the car so probably can't get at the serials easily. The HU is the MD/CD one. It's all factory stuff in a 2000 GT-B E-Tune.

Yeah that thing will just be a pass through. Unplug it all so you just have the wires coming out of the headunit, looks like they all have connectors on them. Then you'll get a Subaru loom and that will plug into the car end. Then you'll put connectors onto the wires from the loom adaptor and you can then connect them all up.

Great - have removed the SLA thing and all of a sudden it's looking much less like a telephone exchange. ;D

Here's what I'm left with:

1. Front ®

2. Front (l)

3. Rear ®

4. Rear (l)

5. A yellow cable with 2 black boxes in line (one a 10A fuse) - not sure re the other one

6. A black cable with a 'C' spade connector on the end.

7. A black/yellow cable labelled 'MUTE'

8. A blue cable labelled 'AUTO ANTENNA'

9. A blue/white cable labelled 'SYSTEM REMOTE CONTROL'

10. A red cable labelled 'ACC' (I can read basic Japanese so can see it also says 'accessory')

11. A red/white cable labelled 'ILL' (again, the Japanese says 'ilumi' which I assume means illumination?

I assume I just connect the cables 1-6 to the relevant places and all should work.....

A few questions:

a. Do I need cable #11 to make the display work?

b. I assume I don't need any of the other cables (ie 7-10)?

c. Will my bass speaker (factory boot mounted unit) work if I just connect cables 1-6?

d. Is there anyway to get my McIntosh stacker to work with this setup? The blue connector on the rear of the HU perhaps?? (It can't be seen on the photo, but there are 10 'skinny' male pins in addition to the one 'thick' male pin visible in the picture)

e. I assume I can connect an iPod to the RCAs on the rear of the HU?

Thanks again...almost there.

Matt. :)

matt1710 said:

Great - have removed the SLA thing and all of a sudden it's looking much less like a telephone exchange. ;D

Here's what I'm left with:

1. Front ®

2. Front (l)

3. Rear ®

4. Rear (l)

5. A yellow cable with 2 black boxes in line (one a 10A fuse) - not sure re the other one

6. A black cable with a 'C' spade connector on the end.

7. A black/yellow cable labelled 'MUTE'

8. A blue cable labelled 'AUTO ANTENNA'

9. A blue/white cable labelled 'SYSTEM REMOTE CONTROL'

10. A red cable labelled 'ACC' (I can read basic Japanese so can see it also says 'accessory')

11. A red/white cable labelled 'ILL' (again, the Japanese says 'ilumi' which I assume means illumination?

I assume I just connect the cables 1-6 to the relevant places and all should work.....

A few questions:

a. Do I need cable #11 to make the display work?

b. I assume I don't need any of the other cables (ie 7-10)?

c. Will my bass speaker (factory boot mounted unit) work if I just connect cables 1-6?

d. Is there anyway to get my McIntosh stacker to work with this setup? The blue connector on the rear of the HU perhaps?? (It can't be seen on the photo, but there are 10 'skinny' male pins in addition to the one 'thick' male pin visible in the picture)

e. I assume I can connect an iPod to the RCAs on the rear of the HU?

Thanks again...almost there.

Matt. :)

Yellow with to black boxes is 12v+ the other box is a interference supressor

10 is ACC should be wired to a wire that shows +12v with key on (i use ciggy lighter wiring)

the ILL wire dims the lights when your lights are switched on so it up to u really

the ipod can be connected via the rear RCA's as long as they are inputs

Thanks. Doesn't say on HU if the RCAs are inputs or outputs - will sort that with a test, or via a Google search.

The fact that all the instruments dim when the headlights are switched on actually pisses me off, and sometimes leads me to drive with no headlights in conditions where the headlights really should be on. Not at night of course, but in heavy rain or dim conditions. I hate not being able to see the radio/air-con etc settings - which is the case if the headlights are on and it's not night time. Any idea how to prevent the instruments dimming with headlights on? Just found this post : http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,8082.0.html which suggests I might be able to circumvent the dim display by holding the aircon's 'OFF' button for 3 seconds while the headlights are on. Will give that a crack.

That purple connector is a P-Bus, which is an input. You can get iPod adaptors which plug into that, and also RCA adaptors.

Id suggest that RCA is an output. It should say something around that set of RCA's though. Front, or Aux or something like that?

EDIT: This Ebay auction gives you the details you need... the RCA is a pre-out so can connect to an amp for speakers or more commonly for a sub.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-CD-MD-Player-FH-P007MD-CD-RW-MDLP-Mint-Conditi-/360282675670?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item53e28559d6

Ah, thanks for that. Will get a P-Bus iPod adapter then. That'll be one upgrade over the McIntosh - even though I lose the stacker. :-[

Am I correct in thinking that if I connect the two relevant "sub-woofer" wires coming from the factory amp, to the RCA inputs on the HU, the boot mounted factory "sub-woofer" will work?

matt1710 said:

Am I correct in thinking that if I connect the two relevant "sub-woofer" wires coming from the factory amp, to the RCA inputs on the HU, the boot mounted factory "sub-woofer" will work?

Maybe, but I wouldn't be certain on that.