Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Manual conversion - compatability

purpleandy

the g/b attachment holes are the same - well you will be putting a 8 bolt bellhousing g/b onto a 4 bolt g/b block but that wont matter to much.

Just re-use your BG gearbox mount to be sure to be sure... and it will work fine.

Also note to get the correct front ratio diff'd box to match your current BG rear.

front axle and input shaft splines are all the same

If you mean rear diff bolting in, yes it will as well, but check the axle stubs go into the new diff - they vary depending whether its a viscous or plated type diff (BH and BG AFAIK should all be viscous but hey).

purpleandy said:

thanks - think you've answered my question - i'm thinking about going auto to manual so i wouldn't have a gearbox mount ......

i think you can just use the auto one.

note however going from auto to manual requires a host of extra parts, notably you'll require a manual length drive shaft, and is all the more important to get the diff ratios matched as mostly all autos are different to manuals (4.111 vs 4.444) respectively.

Guest keltik

Ok. You CANT use the auto crossmember, You will need one from any Subaru 1989-2004. You will need to match a rear diff to your BH box.

Finally im not 100% sure but you might need to thread a hole or improvise something for one of the starter bolts....

Manual BH will have a 4.111 final. BG auto rear diff could be either.

keltik said:

Ok. You CANT use the auto crossmember, You will need one from any Subaru 1989-2004. You will need to match a rear diff to your BH box.

Finally im not 100% sure but you might need to thread a hole or improvise something for one of the starter bolts....

Manual BH will have a 4.111 final. BG auto rear diff could be either.

the g/b starter thing - you should need to do anything. The 8 holes line up fine, and if using the BG engine they all line up and the the small starter "stud" lines up and can use it fine.

I think what you mean keltik is when going to a 8 bolt engine bellhousing - like i did and you need a new bolt for the starter side - you cant use the stud like you do in the 4 bolt as the starter mount on the gb changes slightly.

Guest keltik

I was sure one way round you had to do something. My 8bolt engine works fine with my 4bolt gearbox...so i just assumed it was the other way you had to do something.

keltik said:

I was sure one way round you had to do something. My 8bolt engine works fine with my 4bolt gearbox...so i just assumed it was the other way you had to do something.

yer thats the slightly easier way to do it. is the same as mine until putting the 6mt on there and had to change things slightly on that starter bolt/thread

it does, and bolts up fine,

1) get correct length drive shaft (a manual one)

2) match rear diff to front diff in the box you put in

3) remove the threaded dowel on one of the starter mounts to match the new box mount position (replace with long bolt)

4) get a manual gearbox crossmember

and your away laughing. (other bits like clutch,pedal/gearleaver all required of course.

I have two gear sticks and mechanisms if you want a cheap option. One is STI, the other from an RS

more questions !! sorry, new to legacy's (if you ever want to know anyhting about suzuki TL1000S's in return let me know :D))

the manual driveshaft, pedal box etc from the bh would fit the bg ?? ie, everything from the bh would swap over on to mine ??

my engine is ready to come out, but kind of waiting until i've got the now box sorted as well, might as well do it all at once and the old engine is keeping the nice sea air out of the internals

i cant answer the pedal box question sorry.

the manual g/b mounts are all the same. (for 5mts)

as are the manual drive shafts. As a side note "most" drive shafts are two (2) peice, the rear sections are all the same length, its the front section that is shorter on the auto and longer on the manual.

I also have that longer manual front section plus gear linkages if you require these. I fly to Auckland weekly atm. Can do you a deal for both.

Guest keltik

Pedals will not fit. You need BC/BF or BG/BD ones. BH shape use a seperate brake and accelerator pedal. On the BG i believe they are combined.

Guest keltik

Hmm i guess they might line up....I tried putting the one piece BG ones into my BH and that didnt work but the other way round might.