Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

I'm either high or cold...

aim

So every time I turn on the heater I can smell fuel. So I can either drive around high or cold. The smell disappears after a while, so I usuaully just put up with it for the 5 odd minutes I get of fuel.

What's up? I didn't know I had fuel lines near the heater core? do I have a leak in the engine bay or something?

I was pulling my interior to bits today to install my amp power cable and it looks like the fuel lines go up the firewall behind the A/C blower assembly before they go through the firewall so I guess it's possible those lines are leaking a bit and fuel vapour is getting into the blower somehow but It seems very unlikely given that they are steel lines

Guest boostin

The gen 3 TT's have a known issue of a strong fuel smell on startup from cold. There are rubber hose joiners on the fuel lines under the manifold, and the clamps either loosen off, or the hose shrinks. Either way, they leak a tiny amount of fuel when cold, enough for you to smell it. The manifold needs to come off and have every hose clip tightened (there's 8 or 10 of them) on the lines.

And no, you can't get to them all with the manifold on the engine. You can only get to a couple.

It's a PITA job to do. If you DIY, you need new manifold gaskets, some coolant, and a lot of patience. Count on it being a days work, allowing for "issues".

boostin said:

The gen 3 TT's have a known issue of a strong fuel smell on startup from cold. There are rubber hose joiners on the fuel lines under the manifold, and the clamps either loosen off, or the hose shrinks. Either way, they leak a tiny amount of fuel when cold, enough for you to smell it. The manifold needs to come off and have every hose clip tightened (there's 8 or 10 of them) on the lines.

And no, you can't get to them all with the manifold on the engine. You can only get to a couple.

It's a PITA job to do. If you DIY, you need new manifold gaskets, some coolant, and a lot of patience. Count on it being a days work, allowing for "issues".

Crap... I'd need a hand, never had a subaru engine apart :P

They are simple enough. Just make sure you label things like hoses and as you take them off if you havent done it before. Oh and if its twin turbo the only thing that is a mega slut is the vacuum lines! They are a pain in the arse if you get one wrong and have to figure out which one it is :( (Ask brad... haha)

Guest boostcut

250t= the most basic engine subaru built apart from the e81 era.

ej20r twin turbo= the most complicated cluttered engine subaru ever built.

but still have a crack at it. the worst case is someone else will have to help figure out the vac lines. and, dont break the i/c piping!!

Guest boostcut

you need an aisian models forearm with a sumo-wrestler gone weight lifter bicep and a crows foot to get at it?

mangere']

I changed the manifold gaskets on my 250t. I'll give you a hand if you want Hamish.

Cheers mate, might call upon your help.

[quote name='boostcut said:

but still have a crack at it. the worst case is someone else will have to help figure out the vac lines. and, dont break the i/c piping!!

Will do, I've had the IC off before :) Need to go get some gaskets and coolant from strongs.

Guest boostin
 boostcut said:

you need an aisian models forearm with a sumo-wrestler gone weight lifter bicep and a crows foot to get at it?

No. The right way is to remove the primary turbo, but you can get rather brutal with a pry bar and flex the intake pipe enough to get a skinny socket and long extension down to get the bolt out.

worth checking that the charcole canister hose hasnt come off the steel pipe in the passengers back corner of the engine bay befor u go on a giant mission lol. Its the one that comes thru with the fuel lines but its slightly smaller. Ive had that come off in the past and stinks like fuel. then as mentioned befor the heater intake isant far away and sucks in the vapour. (mine did that too with the heater). wasnt so bad on the recirculat mode for obvious reasons so u could try that too). Just rather try this then pull the mani off for nothing. Could still be the mani issue as posted earlier but this is 1000X easier to try this 1st ;D

mine had a cracked steel fuel line under the manifold when i got it, car yard replaced the part, same deal fuel smell coming into cabn from being sucked in the heater intake from the engine bay , could smell the fuel in the engine bay when car was cold at start up also.