Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

B4 RSK - What to look for?

Divine

My brother just brought a 1999 B4 RSK, which i'm buying off him, and I was wondering what I should be looking for, he brought it from a dealersihp which was a tradein for 3k.

Cambelt replacement unknown, turbo's afaik good condition, but what should I be looking at?

i.e, are there any common problem areas in B4's? I've never owned one.

Any help much appreciated.

How many k's? Mines at 148 and no major work done on it. still got the original clutch, turbo, gasketts and bearings! And my biggest issue atm is a fuel smelling heater. Just check the usual really, turbo whine, knocks or taps etc...

Its tiptronic.

I'm using it at the moment, however he put it through a fence last night, so I think i'm going to steer clear of this one. has about 2k worth of body damage, so if you see a white b4 with its back doors smashed in and bumper missing paint in Christchurch, thats me :D

But its such a improvement from the BC.

It had a oil flush and change 4 days ago, but when I turned it on this morning it had blue smoke coming out of it. I was told it could be something to do with "carbon" in the turbos.

And I read an in-depth thread on here somewhere about B4, Rsk, Blitzen vs Bilstein ect, such a good place Clubsub, i'm glad I paid for membership.

Never heard of that. blue smoke screams oil to me... leaking seal somewhere perhaps. Lots of boxer engines blow a little blue smoke on cold start up, something to do with the oil in the block and the pistons being mounted sideways?

aim said:

Never heard of that. blue smoke screams oil to me... leaking seal somewhere perhaps. Lots of boxer engines blow a little blue smoke on cold start up, something to do with the oil in the block and the pistons being mounted sideways?

That would reinforce the blue smoke theory, as it stops after a while

Divine said:

it had blue smoke coming out of it. I was told it could be something to do with "carbon" in the turbos.

whoever said that- don't trust them. lol.

• 4 weeks later...
 Divine said:

My brother just brought a 1999 B4 RSK, which i'm buying off him, and I was wondering what I should be looking for, he brought it from a dealersihp which was a tradein for 3k.

Cambelt replacement unknown, turbo's afaik good condition, but what should I be looking at?

i.e, are there any common problem areas in B4's? I've never owned one.

Any help much appreciated.

mine started getting that burnt oil smell when it ran hot, figured the rocker covers were leaking a lil', but it was due for cam belt, so I traded it in.

aim said:

How many k's? Mines at 148 and no major work done on it. still got the original clutch, turbo, gasketts and bearings! And my biggest issue atm is a fuel smelling heater. Just check the usual really, turbo whine, knocks or taps etc...

this is a issue im having in cold conditions ( under say 7deg ) on the initial heat up, i am almost certain theres a fine crack in one of the pipes under the manifold, bug eyes had this problem in the states