Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Overheating Legacy B4!

uwa8nc

Hey guys just bought a Legacy B4 2000,

And the minute i left the dealer's to drive home i saw that the Temp Guage Was Rising Really Quickly to ''H''

So i pulled over,opened the bonet and the coolant Resevior Just Gushed out open spitting all the fluid out,

So i waited for a while and filled my Radiator Resevior with cold water,Then drove for around 15 mins's all was fine,Then came home,Topped up the Coolant resevior with Brand New Coolant ,Took it for a drive down the road and back to square one.

The car Started over-heating again and the Temp Guage shot up all the way to H,So had to wait for a while and slowly drive the car home.

Could you guys please tell me what you reckon the problem is?

Is it possible to do it myself or take it back to the dealers?

Let me know.

Cheers! ???

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drunkenmonkey said:

take it back make it their problem could be head gasket, blocked radiator is the bottom hose hot when up to temp

HEAD GASKET??? Isn't that a major issue?..The Top hose at the top of the Radiator get's really hot,not sure where the Bottom hose is!

the_return_of_the_rectal_fiend said:

take it back and go somewhere else and buy a car

shocking

Guess ill take it to them on monday and see what the say,i Hope it's nothing major :(,Really have no idea why it suddenly over-heats when being driven!

Drunkenmonkey said:

yes head gasket is a major but they will have to pay for it, try calling them tomorrow some yards are open tomorrow, bring it up to temp and see if the bottom is hot to (down right on radiator looking into engine bay) possibly could be thermostat how many kms it done

It just hit 120,000 k's so yeah,Just hoping it aint the Head Gasket,as the car starts up and drives fine,No Squeaking Belts or funny noises in the engine bay,But still hate the fact that it heats up that quick the minute you give it a little gas :(!

marc']

[quote name='boostin said:

Don't f*** around, just take it back to the dealer.

/quote]

+1. if it happend stright away basicly or close to take it back. Its THEIR problem!

Finger's crossed,they take it back and get the problem Soughted.If not Im Screwed :(!

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi
 uwa8nc']

[quote name='Drunkenmonkey said:

take it back make it their problem could be head gasket, blocked radiator is the bottom hose hot when up to temp

/quote]

HEAD GASKET??? Isn't that a major issue?..The Top hose at the top of the Radiator get's really hot,not sure where the Bottom hose is!

bottom hose is on the opposite corner diagonally to the top hose, so down the bottom on the battery side.. however dont stick your hand down there when its hot and watch out for the fans haha

but yeah take it back and dont let them do the old.. oh we;ll get the radiator checked.. then the thermostat.. then the water pump... etc etc... ( yes this happens, sometimes ends up being a head gasket and all that work needs to be done again!!)

tell them you want it fixed PROPERLY.. or go some where else..

the_return_of_the_jedi']

[quote name='Drunkenmonkey said:

/quote]

bottom hose is on the opposite corner diagonally to the top hose, so down the bottom on the battery side.. however dont stick your hand down there when its hot and watch out for the fans haha

but yeah take it back and dont let them do the old.. oh we;ll get the radiator checked.. then the thermostat.. then the water pump... etc etc... ( yes this happens, sometimes ends up being a head gasket and all that work needs to be done again!!)

tell them you want it fixed PROPERLY.. or go some where else..

Thanks buddy,Much appreciated,Will be taking the car back to them first thing tommorow morning.

Just curious,if it is the head gasket,Why does the car still drive fine?..And start up on first go?..

I really hope they take it back and get the problem fixed,Just hope it's a water pump or something small,The radiator to me look's brand new,Its really clean..So yeah just hope i can drive all the way there in one piece without the car over-heating and blowing up :(!

Drunkenmonkey said:

they have to its covered by an act.

Is it?wow,i never knew that,The thing is i didn't take any mechanical warranty from them,So i hope they don't blame this whole issue on me,as i just reached home from the dealers and this happened :(!

uwa8nc said:

Just curious,if it is the head gasket,Why does the car still drive fine?..And start up on first go?..

over heating wont affect the starter motor and battery working..

youll just end up warping your heads if you drive it too much.. ( i dont recommend this!! planing heads isnt cheap!)

the_return_of_the_jedi']

[quote name='uwa8nc said:

/quote]

youll just end up warping your heads if you drive it too much.. ( i dont recommend this!! planing heads isnt cheap!)

If you reckon i shouldn't drive the car how do i get it to the dealer's tommorow morning?get it towed there?on my expense?.

uwa8nc']

[quote name='uwa8nc said:

/quote]

If you reckon i shouldn't drive the car how do i get it to the dealer's tommorow morning?get it towed there?on my expense?.

no, ring them as soon as they open and ask them what THEY are going to do about it...

Overheating motors...had one of those. Not pretty. Steam and water everywhere, needle up and down everywhere, and general panic for the owner.

Given the second engine started losing water then eventually overheating too (yes, I replaced the entire engine lol...just a dirty old EJ20G), we finally discovered a very blocked radiator. First engine wasn't so well-off, but the second one is saved.

Headgaskets give very, very similar symptoms when they are blown; only difference is, with a blocked radiator it spits all your coolant out the overflow, whereas a blown headgasket blows exhaust gases into your coolant, thus overheating it and contaminating it. It'll give little to nothing else unless it's REALLY bad.

But as above I wouldn't risk driving. I agree, call 'em up and ask them what exactly they are going to do about the car they sold you that overheats so terribly, and what they were doing selling it to you in the first place. Don't budge on it - a dealer is required to sell you a decent product, or let you know it's a bag of sh!t from the get-go.

Hey guys going to take the car to the dealers first thing tommorow morning,but just realised even after driving up the road and bringing it back home at idle the car Temp Comes back to the middle (normal) .. a mate had a similar problem but when he drove it cooled down and when he idled it heated up even more and found out that his radiator was the issue.

Hey guys its 12:50 pm.And to my luck the dealer's said that they were selling the car on behalf of a vendor so they can't take it back.

Managed to flush the radiator out.

Car is still over heating though.

So at the moment it's at a mechanic who reckon's since there's hot water at the top of the pipe (radiator)and water at the bottom of the pipe,It can't be the thermostat,So now all that is left to check is the waterpump.

He is doing a pressure test to check for leak's so the car is with him at the moment,

He reckons if it's not the waterpump then it's the head-gasket.

So finger's crossed it's the damm water pump,Because i haven't even got to drive the car properly and have only owned it for 48 hours :(.If it's the head-gasket i am screwed!Let's Hope for the best! :-[