Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Do EBCs reduce spool up time?

Simon C said:

Yes. Big time. From personal experience. Easy to do as well. Not all EBCs are made equal though. Do some reading, I think Blitz make some of the best ones.

Mine doesn't reach full boost till 4000rpm. I would only get one to make it a little more driveable and to turn the boost down around town.

boostcut said:

why would you turn the boost down around town? low boost doesnt exactly mean less fuel used....

i dont understand why people think it will save them gas

and ive been through a lot of boost controller in the past and apexi AVCR rates the top of all boost controller... its old but its still worth over $500 2nd hand, i like the gain function it in, and also it can read speed, rpm, injector cycle, scramble, hi/low boost, gear learning that means you can set your boost to the gear you are it... and can also set the gain vs rpm meaning you can set your boost at its peak at any rpm you want or make it die out at higher rpm

im using a cheapie greddy profic I one at the moment and its got gain/balance function but its very basic. im upgrading it to a profic B II

boostcut said:

why would you turn the boost down around town? low boost doesnt exactly mean less fuel used....

on a smaller quick spooling turbo and a driver who uses the revs a fair bit in regular driving, sure it would. less air, less fuel. a nana driver, or a bigger turbo, you're right it wouldn't make a diff

• General Member

doh

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

less boost = less air = less fuel so dont see why not fuel save (not a heap - and also reduces chance of knock if 98 unavailability like moi)

$500 2nd hand IF it is complete - rarely does the solenoid come 2nd hand for some reason - easily replaced for a hundy....

JoKer said:

doh

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

less boost = less air = less fuel so dont see why not fuel save (not a heap - and also reduces chance of knock if 98 unavailability like moi)

$500 2nd hand IF it is complete - rarely does the solenoid come 2nd hand for some reason - easily replaced for a hundy....

Yeah i guess its to a certain point of how much boost you run. Running 5 as opposed to 10 won't use half as much gas

Im not so sure turning the boost down in day to day driving does reducce fuel consumption.

There is the complicating factor of compression - by reducing boost your also reducing the effective compression ratio of the engine.

Less boost = a less efficient engine.

less duty usually means less boost.

less boost will mean less power at a certain rpm point. And u will use less fuel.

But you might find that you still drive using the same amount of power . So you start using more revs, which uses more fuel...

A turbo'd engine is more efficient than a non turbo engine.

for DIY setup simplicity the HKS EVC 4 was the best i have used. easy to set and holds boost like a rock and builds boost sooner than stock for the same rpm...

the factory is a bleed style solenoid so the WG will always end up seeing some pressure as opposed to most good EBC with the intercept style solenoid it will always be better at spooll.

in saying that the difference between a tuned boost map (on a v7 anyway) and a boost controller was 100-150rpm so not that bad (i think for the $$ saved on a EBC the tuned rom is worth the 100rpm - which is still a fair bit better than factory spool anyway)

as for low boost, i find that good if u planning a trip out to places where u unsure of 98 gas so just run low boost and wont have det issues even if floor it..lol obviously low boost wud mean proper low..i have seen some ppl run like 19hi and 17low lol..dont think that will make too much difference for DET issuse. i usually keep low to 12 ish and that makes me feel safe that i wont have det issues with 95 oct

Guest boostcut

yes, i agree on the 200kw factor, but a factory srandard engine, is a compromise between power/torque and economy. tuned as efficently (by an accountant) as logically possible

so lowering the boost dramatically on your 14psi v3 sti or whatever wont do shit to your fuel bill, i will put money on it using more fuel than normal, once it learns its new parameters.

Less boost for town driving means less fuel used?

Only if you gate it eveywhere. If you want to save fuel, just don't get to boost, then it makes SFA difference what it's set too.

Regardless, having an EBC is great. I use high and low at 2 different times. Low boost for when i lend the car to someone, and for when i'm forced to use 95. All other times it's set to 18psi.

funkytown']

for closed road events, spirited cruises on low volume country roads, and track events!!

and keep me and the public safe in built up areas.

[quote name='funkytown said:

for closed road events, spirited cruises on low volume country roads, and track events!!

and keep me and the public safe in built up areas.

/quote]

+1 I agree with that lol

But if you drive like a twat in town with 200kw you can will still hurt someone, Ill still stand by my right foot adjustment. To be honest just lowering boost/power isnt going to keep people safe its the attitude of the driver behind the wheel!!!

of course that applies, 200kw is still fast. my point was 280 is nuts fast and it lowers the need for right foot adjustment. I wasnt implying i rocket round down with a lead foot on either settings.

I can also tell you the ramp rate on low boost is much more docile than high boost down low so it makes for a much more drivable and enjoyable car to have in built up areas.

when i had my v3 sti, i ran it on lowe boost and yes it made a difference in fuel consumption. u also need to be very gentle with ur gas pedal but low boost just means when u do push it a bit more, the boost wont come on so much and hence not use too much gas..

so to answer the original question - yes it does

end of the day ur right foot also helps decide majorly

I love the profec B spec 2, its can be a little tricky to tune, but once you've got your head around how it works its pretty easy.

With any good EBC you can set what pressure the wastegate starts to open, a good solenoid will work faster than a factory one so you can hold it closed longer which brings the spool up quicker.

If you come across a profec b spec 2 without a solenoid snap it up, they're cheap as then and you can buy the solenoid direct from Mac Valves (the company who makes most aftermarket solenoids) for about $70

Stoffa said:

I love the profec B spec 2, its can be a little tricky to tune, but once you've got your head around how it works its pretty easy.

With any good EBC you can set what pressure the wastegate starts to open, a good solenoid will work faster than a factory one so you can hold it closed longer which brings the spool up quicker.

If you come across a profec b spec 2 without a solenoid snap it up, they're cheap as then and you can buy the solenoid direct from Mac Valves (the company who makes most aftermarket solenoids) for about $70

I was going to wait for a apexi avcr but a profec b spec 2 should be a truckload cheaper.